Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justbrew23

Reaction score
I am planning to brew my fourth batch this weekend. I will be making a Kölsch but I plan on dry hopping it. Any suggestions on what hop I should use? Has anyone had success dry hopping a Kölsch before?

I think dryhopping a Kolsch is like putting ketchup on a steak. If you cannot resist the urge it would make sense to use the hop or one of the hops in the beer itself; Tettnanger, Hallertau, and Spalt come to mind.

I am planning to brew my fourth batch this weekend. I will be making a Kölsch but I plan on dry hopping it. Any suggestions on what hop I should use? Has anyone had success dry hopping a Kölsch before?

My analogy would be it's like putting gravy on apple pie. Gravy's tasty - but you don't want all your food to taste of gravy, and it's kinda missing the point of what apple pie is all about. If you're going to the trouble of making a kolsch, then enjoy its kolschiness rather than try and force it into being something else.

Also, if you're still only on your fourth batch, I'd be concentrating on getting my process down pat. Do variations (different hops, different yeasts) on a basic beer that you like and can get to know well until you are hitting your target numbers fairly reliably, then start to think about getting "creative".

If you must dry hop it - no more than an ounce / 5 gal, and keep it classic German - Tettnang, Hallertau etc.

It really depends on what the OP wants to do, guys. A standard Kölsch is a fine thing, but a light dry-hopping works great too. Heck, the Cologne brewers mix it up a bit to make their versions unique so I'm sure we can too.
:mug:

Brewing a double batch of kolsch right now myself. Personally, I don't dry hop my kolsch. But, if I was going to recommend a dry hop..... I guess I would go with Tettnang. I would keep it on the low end..... maybe just an ounce or so. I have tried dry hopping pilsners and the like before and never really cared for the results. I have found that a lot of the traditional german type hops come off as grassy for me if I add them post boil or in a dry hop.

I suppose you could also maybe try something like an ounce of cascade if you are not really concerned about keeping it traditional. I would definitely go with "less" in terms of dry hop - otherwise, you are just going to end up with something more like an APA.

Some others that might add a different twist - Huell Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, Hallertau Blanc...... those might work in a kolsch.

German-style beers usually use Continental hops - that's my take, anyway.
I'm fermenting base-style *something* between a Leichtbier and Kolsch with Saaz at the moment and that *something* classifies as a blonde ale according to BJCP.

Since it's spring, I might consider doing another version later, bittering with traditional hops and a very slight hopping with a hop that leaves a small citrus impression. I've always wanted to try Amarillo and as a lark, I might make this blonde ale again using a light bit of Amarillo at the last moment of the boil.

I have had great success dry hopping beers made with K-97, which most likely is not a real Kolsch strain, but it comes close. Very gentle, delicate, a bit powdery, although you can clear it if you wish, but mixes well with hops ( Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook, Mosaic ).

IMO Spalt is the best hop for a real Kolsch, but dry hopping? I'll pass. Might turn out ok but it wont be a Kolsch.

I bet you santiam would be good if you can get your hands on it.

I’d go light may a half oz or instead of dry hop some after flame out.

That made me couple great kolsches but I can’t find it any more.

Back