Red Ale - Kolsch Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Every Fall, I brew a Red Ale for the beginning of the Chiefs' season.

I change the recipe each year. Last year was an Irish Red grain bill but with American hops and US-05 (and a box of Kelce Krunch mashed in).

This year I am thinking about using more of a German recipe since the Chiefs play a game in Germany this year.

I have both a Festbier (using Omega German I) and a Kolsch (using Omega Kolsch II) finishing up and ready to keg this weekend.

So I am considering brewing the Red Ale this weekend and just pitching onto the Kolsch II yeast cake. (Recipe will be ashburne, vienna and munich malt with a but of roasted barley, and probably magnum and mittelfruh hops).

Think it will work? Or will kolsch yeast not play nice with those darker grains? (I usually like kolsch yeast for lighter beers, but have never tried it with anything darker).

Last edited:
Also, considering pitching onto the Omega German 1 yeast cake, but I usually brew two beers at once and was originally planning to use that yeast cake for the second beer (vienna lager).

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. I use Kolsch yeast (Lallemand Koln) for altbier, Grodziskie, California and Kentucky Common, Pre-Prohibition Porter and Lager, American Stout, and ... Kolsch.

The worst possible outcome is that you won't get enough of the yeast character through the darker grains.

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. I use Kolsch yeast (Lallemand Koln) for altbier, Grodziskie, California and Kentucky Common, Pre-Prohibition Porter and Lager, American Stout, and ... Kolsch.

The worst possible outcome is that you won't get enough of the yeast character through the darker grains.
Nice. Altbier but more red in color is kind of what I am going for. Thanks.

Kolsch yeast is a fine idea. It will be very clean and let both the malt and hops shine. Just make sure you’re using your temp control during ferm

My house yeast is 2565 and fermented at 59* for the first 3 days(1.044) then to 64* to finish and the beers are clean. If you want some fruit esters start at 64*. So i did a split batch(11 gal) pils recipe with 2565 and 833,their on tap side by side and hard to tell apart. Might be from the 35 ibu's of Halertau Mitt.
Two yeasts ready at the same time ,why not make an 11 gal batch and spit it,then repitch the lager yeast on your Vienna. 15 gal of pure joy!

I just kegged the Kolsch yesterday. It turned out great, maybe my best Kolsch yet. So again liking this plan. (-and not too crazy about the Omega German 1 lager, but time may work that out better).

But I may just jar the yeast slurry and brew next weekend rather than pitching directly onto the yeast cake. Just a bit too crunched for time this weekend.

I’ve used Kolsch yeast in a wide variety of styles and it’s my go-to for stouts when I don’t want any yeast flavors.

I use 2526 & ferment in the mid-50s.

The only problem I’ve had with it is the beer tastes dusty until all the yeast settles out.

Back