Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"yeast nutrient" means what, exactly?
Just DAP?
Fermaid?
WYeast Nutrient Blend?

What's everyone using?
I use the Wyeast nutrient blend; a cap-full for 5 gallons. For every beer, not just with kveik beers.

I really want to try the Voss Kveik in a blue moon clone, and I use the WYeast nutrient (pinch) in my starters. Thanks.

If it's like other yeast in this respect I don't think it will ruin the beer to leave it for that long in primary but I've never tried it myself, since the purpose of this yeast is fast fermented Beer. Normally it reaches FG in 2-3 days. Also its been reported not to need condition time. So grain to glass in 7ish days.

No conditioning time may change my plans, then. I could conceivably brew after my trip, ferment for a week, bottle, and condition in the bottles.

Decisions, decisions!

"yeast nutrient" means what, exactly?
Just DAP?
Fermaid?
WYeast Nutrient Blend?

What's everyone using?
IMAG4006.jpg

I use this one. Don't know if it's good or bad. It's just what they had at my homebrew store. I have never had a stalled brew.

No conditioning time may change my plans, then. I could conceivably brew after my trip, ferment for a week, bottle, and condition in the bottles.

Decisions, decisions!
I mean, if you just want to test the yeast, to taste the results and out of curiosity, I would try it when you can ferment fast, under pitch a lot and with a relatively light hop bill. Its really a kickass yeast and I've personally been using Voss for a long time, just harvesting new yeast when needed. The oldest yeast I've used was from a jar that I had In the fridge for a year! Full on krausen in about 6-8 hours. I mean, what's the point if you're gonna leave it for the same amount of time as any normal yeast :yes:

Isn't there anybody who had the balls to ferment this one with bittering hops only, to see what the yeast actually brings to the table?
Did .5 ounce Chinook @45, .25 Cascade @15 and .25 centennial @5. So one ounce hop total. 27 ibu No nutrient added, fermwrap @85 and had amazing fermentation. Constant stream of bubbles from blow off tube.
Beer was and still is great tasting 3 months later. Maybe the half ounce of balsam tips @10 helped nutrient wise?

Wondering if anyone knows what’s up...

I pitched a packet of Omega Hornindal into a 2 liter starter with standard gravity...200 grams of DME. Spun it for 18 hours or so at room temp. Took a whiff of it before banking some and pitching rest my beer...holy crap...rotten eggs and sulfur like I’ve never experienced before. Ended up dumping it. Anyone have any insight? Never had an issue creating starters like this for dozens of beers with numerous yeasts.

I pitched a packet of Omega Hornindal into a 2 liter starter with standard gravity...200 grams of DME. Spun it for 18 hours or so at room temp. Took a whiff of it before banking some and pitching rest my beer...holy crap...rotten eggs and sulfur like I’ve never experienced before. Ended up dumping it. Anyone have any insight? Never had an issue creating starters like this for dozens of beers with numerous yeasts.
Did you use nutrients? It was probably fine, just stressed.

I've had the same thing happen with other kveik and it's cleaned up after itself and been fine.

Did you use nutrients? It was probably fine, just stressed.

I've had the same thing happen with other kveik and it's cleaned up after itself and been fine.
I did not use any nutrient in the starter. Guess I should start doing this with all of my starters.

I mean, if you just want to test the yeast, to taste the results and out of curiosity, I would try it when you can ferment fast, under pitch a lot and with a relatively light hop bill. Its really a kickass yeast and I've personally been using Voss for a long time, just harvesting new yeast when needed. The oldest yeast I've used was from a jar that I had In the fridge for a year! Full on krausen in about 6-8 hours. I mean, what's the point if you're gonna leave it for the same amount of time as any normal yeast :yes:

Well, mainly because I don't do a lot of high gravity brews. I guess in the grand scheme of things, a 1.064 isn't what most would call high gravity, but I wanted to give it adequate time to batch condition and clean itself up before bottling.

If the Voss does that on short turn around, there's really no reason for me to even brew before my trip.. Might as well brew after and get it into bottles within a week. Seems logical to me.

So not going to read 17 pages but I decided to try this yeast in my brut IPA recipe yesterday. Pitched 1 packet of omega hornindal 24 hours ago into 17 gallons 1.058 wort (with glucoamylase) just now top cropped the yeast and checked gravity. 1.019 with continued strong fermentation. Grav sample tasted pretty good too. Pitched at 84F and I'm now at 91F.

Not like anything I've seen before. Pretty cool stuff can't wait to taste the final product. Sadly I leave on business trip in the morning and it will probably be done when I get back. Plan is to chill back down to 65F under CO2 pressure and then dry hop for 3-4 days before cold crash and keg.

So not going to read 17 pages but I decided to try this yeast in my brut IPA recipe yesterday. Pitched 1 packet of omega hornindal 24 hours ago into 17 gallons 1.058 wort (with glucoamylase) just now top cropped the yeast and checked gravity. 1.019 with continued strong fermentation. Grav sample tasted pretty good too. Pitched at 84F and I'm now at 91F.

Not like anything I've seen before. Pretty cool stuff can't wait to taste the final product. Sadly I leave on business trip in the morning and it will probably be done when I get back. Plan is to chill back down to 65F under CO2 pressure and then dry hop for 3-4 days before cold crash and keg.
I don't think this will dry out to Brut gravities is what I'm thinking. But it'll still be good.

I mean, it's not likely to dry out to like 1.005 or anything. Use Gulo from Omega if that's what you want. I didn't make a Brut IPA but I just got done using it in a series of beers. It's a great yeast as well. I'm really digging the offerings from Omega.

I mean, it's not likely to dry out to like 1.005 or anything. Use Gulo from Omega if that's what you want. I didn't make a Brut IPA but I just got done using it in a series of beers. It's a great yeast as well. I'm really digging the offerings from Omega.
They said that they're using glucoamylase. There's no reason to expect it to not dry out to Brut levels in that case.

Tried it in an IPA and was great. 2/3 pack into 5g, fermented @85F.

Fyi,
Pitched the other 1/3 into Munich Helles and fermented @around 82F. Beer is clear and malty but has too many esters for the style. That little "twang" is not complimentary to that beer. Just wanted to play with the yeast.

Tried it in an IPA and was great. 2/3 pack into 5g, fermented @85F.

Fyi,
Pitched the other 1/3 into Munich Helles and fermented @around 82F. Beer is clear and malty but has too many esters for the style. That little "twang" is not complimentary to that beer. Just wanted to play with the yeast.
Call it a blonde. I think the yeast is great in that style, really makes for a really nice and interesting light ale. I brewed several last summer and was very happy with them. Another yeast to try, if you're wanting a bit cleaner is the Omega Hothead. It's the Stranda strain.

And strangely enough, I didn't care for the Hornindal much in a pale and a New England that I brewed. Thought it was a bit too different tasting for me. A local brewery had a kveik NEIPA on tap recently too that I didn't like. I prefer this yeast in styles like blonde and black IPA. It's GREAT in black IPA. Just one man's opinion.

A proper kveik starter should be around 1.065 og. Then you wouldn't get problems with lack of nutrients.

"The key to really bringing out the yeast character is to underpitch. Kveik thrives with being pitched at levels that would be dangerously low for normal yeast, and produces more flavour that way. A good rule of thumb is a teaspoon of slurry for 25 liters of wort. If you do this take care to ensure there is some oxygen in the wort. Old-style splashing by pouring the (cooled) wort from waist height is enough."

So no need for a starter at all. I did 5 gallon IPA with 1/5 of an Omega pack with excellent results, activity within 3 hours after pitching at 30 degrees Celcius, it pretty much keeps itself at between 30 and 35 degrees Celsius, fermentation was done in 3 days.

I had a krausen of about 10 inches, it's just crazy. I harvested from the top, let it airdry for 48 hours and put the flakes in the freezer. haven't used these yet though. And I still have 4/5 of the pack left divided into 4 small plastic containers in the fridge.

For more info on how to use this yeast: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

So a few months back, I did a pale ale using Omega Hornindal Kviek. Yesterday I made a rye brown ale using wlp007 dry English ale yeast. It is bubbling away happily right now. Only thing is, the gas coming out of the air lock has the same mango topical fruit smell as the kveik batch. Should I be concerned?

I thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the fermenter both after the kveik batch and before the brown ale batch.

Cheers!

I wouldn't be concerned. Yeasts put off esters. It's not crazy that one yeast might be similar to another yeast.

So my first batch of brut kveik is legged and drinking 2 weeks grain to glass. It’s a little more estery than I was expecting it pretty good and maybe with a few more days cold conditioning will shape up. Second batch with top cropped yeast is fermenting now, I’m holding temps at 80F this time to suppress the esters.

I will add that first batch went from 1.058 to 1.000. I overshot OG so cant really compare to my US-05 ruts that have been going from about 1.052 to 0.998.

I have no idea how you got it to dry out that much. Did you add amylase enzyme to the mash? My Hornindal beers never finished below 1.010, even when mashed at 150F. Wow.

So a few months back, I did a pale ale using Omega Hornindal Kviek. Yesterday I made a rye brown ale using wlp007 dry English ale yeast. It is bubbling away happily right now. Only thing is, the gas coming out of the air lock has the same mango topical fruit smell as the kveik batch. Should I be concerned?

I thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the fermenter both after the kveik batch and before the brown ale batch.

Cheers!
Happened to me as well, had a Vienna lager turn into a Vienna kveik in the bottle once :D

Was fun to see it change more and more from week to week.

I have no idea how you got it to dry out that much. Did you add amylase enzyme to the mash? My Hornindal beers never finished below 1.010, even when mashed at 150F. Wow.

I mash at 148F and add beta glucanase to the fermentor. Was 1.5 tsp of this stuff in a 17 gallon to the fermentor batch. That 100 apparent attenuation but only 82% real attenuation. Same recipe but with US-05 as the yeast usually (experience of about 10 batches now) gets me 0.998 FG or about 85% real attenuation.

@Miraculix do you have dedicated fermenters for Kviek then, or do you have some added steps in your process to make sure everything is sterile? I assumed cleaning and sanitizing twice between batches would do the trick, but now I'm not so sure. This batch, using wlp007 yeast, finished fermenting in 3 days. I'm going to let it sit and bottle some time next week. I'm definitely nervous to see what I have sitting in the fermenter.

Last edited:
I mash at 148F and add beta glucanase to the fermentor. Was 1.5 tsp of this stuff in a 17 gallon to the fermentor batch. That 100 apparent attenuation but only 82% real attenuation. Same recipe but with US-05 as the yeast usually (experience of about 10 batches now) gets me 0.998 FG or about 85% real attenuation.
Aha, that makes sense.

Happened to me as well, had a Vienna lager turn into a Vienna kveik in the bottle once :D

Was fun to see it change more and more from week to week.
Really? That's bizarre. Why would that have happened?

@Miraculix do you have dedicated fermenters for Kviek then, or do you have some added steps in your process to make sure everything is sterile? I assumed cleaning and sanitizing twice between batches would do the trick, but now I'm not so sure. This batch, using wlp007 yeast, finished fermenting in 3 days. I'm going to let it sit and bottle some time next week. I'm definitely nervous to see what I have sitting in the fermenter.

No, i just had a starter vessel not cleaned properly and used real kveik from a norwegian farmhouse.... so I guess some of the bacterias or whatever was causing the flavour caried over into my wlp 800 starter.

This wasn't a loss, it still was a nice beer, just unexpected. So your worst case scenario is also not too bad.

No, i just had a starter vessel not cleaned properly and used real kveik from a norwegian farmhouse.... so I guess some of the bacterias or whatever was causing the flavour caried over into my wlp 800 starter.

This wasn't a loss, it still was a nice beer, just unexpected. So your worst case scenario is also not too bad.
Oh, yeah, then it definitely had some bacteria in there. Makes sense now. Now the other one, I don't understand.

Anyone use this in multiple generation and notice if the caramel character fades or grows over multiple generations? Never a problem with three APAs last year (complementary) but really standing out in west coast IPA - and the hops from dry hop seem really muted because of it. Did not have that issue last year......used a new smack pack for IPA. Or changes with pitch rate or temperature.....

Last edited:
Anyone use this in multiple generation and notice if the caramel character fades or grows over multiple generations? Never a problem with three APAs last year (complementary) but really standing out in west coast IPA - and the hops from fry hop seem really muted because of it. Did not have that issue last year......used a new smack pack for IPA. Or changes with pitch rate or temperature.....
I’ve used Hornindal and I’m on g4 and it’s still all pineapple. That being said I’ve underpich in big beers for nuetriahts

I have my old culture still - maybe I should use that next batch - and underpitch. Going to split an APA between that and 1056. Was going to do DIPA but I dont think I want that character in that beer. APAs were tasty.........hmmmmm

All of the Kveik strains are mindblowing.
I recently pitched a 1.095 RIS at 30c with a mix of Voss and Ebbegarden. Done in 4 days, dropped clear as a bell and not a hint of alcohol on the nose.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Home Brew mobile app

How'd it taste? I'm thinking of doing a mix of Ebbegarden and Hornindal. then after that I'm gonna mix Ebbegarden and wlp644

I have the heated jacket on my Spikes conical. If I pitch the hornindal at 95 can the jacket keep it warm enough to finish fermentation? Never tried keeping anything that warm before.

Back