First time using Kveik and iSpindel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaurez

Reaction score
I'm using Kveik Voss for the first time to make a blond ale. I bought a sachet towards the end of last summer but, just as I was about to use it, the weather suddenly got cold for autumn (we have crazy temperature swings where I live) so I decided to save it.

The weather got really hot recently, so I decided to use the Kveik, and I'd read that people had had really fast fermentations, so this was a good chance to use my iSpindel for the first time.

All of the ingredients arrived but, just my luck, another cold front was forecast to blow in on the day I planned to brew. I brewed anyway and pitched at 36°c without much trouble, then wrapped my bucket in a blanket overnight, which felt strange to do when my apartment was still very warm.

So, this is the next day and I'm glad I used my iSpindel because the readings are crazy. I never expected the yeast to work this fast. I hope it tastes good because I think I've found the yeast I'm going to be using this summer!

Here's the iSpindel data:

IMG_20220413_103421.jpg

Let us know how it turns out.

I brewed with Voss Kveik for the first time too, at similar temperature, 35 C. 2 months ago.

Opened the first bottle and tastes too acid for me. Also citric, orange like.

I splited batch and in the other one pitched BE-134, regular saison here. So the acidity comes from Kveik.

Let us know how it turns out.

I brewed with Voss Kveik for the first time too, at similar temperature, 35 C. 2 months ago.

Opened the first bottle and tastes too acid for me. Also citric, orange like.

I splited batch and in the other one pitched BE-134, regular saison here. So the acidity comes from Kveik.

I tried it today and I also got a citrus flavour at first, but after a few sips I didn't notice it as much.

I'm planning to use Voss Kveik with an IPA in my next brew. I'll reduce the fermentation temp and aim for 25-28'c and see whether that reduces the acidity.

Maybe this thread will give you some pointers,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lalbrew®-voss-kveik-ale-yeast.675197/
Do use extra nutrients with kveik, do still let it have time after FG is reached to clean up the beer. Do harvest it and repitch either liquid or dry it out and then use the flakes. I believe that hornindal kveik is now available dry and that is less orangey.
Other alternatives for hot / changeable climate is saison yeast.
Good brewing.

Maybe this thread will give you some pointers,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lalbrew®-voss-kveik-ale-yeast.675197/
Do use extra nutrients with kveik, do still let it have time after FG is reached to clean up the beer. Do harvest it and repitch either liquid or dry it out and then use the flakes. I believe that hornindal kveik is now available dry and that is less orangey.
Other alternatives for hot / changeable climate is saison yeast.
Good brewing.
Thanks for the link.

I did let it sit in the fermenter for 13 days, and it only took 2 days for it to reach FG. I had a small taste of the ale when I bottled it, which was at 24'c, and that was slightly more sour with some tropical fruit flavours. I hoped that the tropical fruit would stay and the citrus would fade, but the tropical fruit completely faded away and it was the citrus that stayed.

I want to try Hornindal as soon as I can get find a supplier that stocks it.

Latest posts

Back