Quantcast

Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
shoreman

shoreman

Reaction score
I see you guys mention "Hornindal strain". Isn't Hornindal kveik 8 different strains plus bacterial cultures? I will brew tomorrow using Hornindal and im quite afraid of ruining my brewing equipment using a culture containing bacteria.
I sourced the strain from Omega Yeast orginally but that is an isolate from the original that excludes the bacteria, so your yeast is much more complex and wild.

Gengasi

Reaction score
I sourced the strain from Omega Yeast orginally but that is an isolate from the original that excludes the bacteria, so your yeast is much more complex and wild.
That might not be a good thing though as getting consistently similar brews will be super hard 😂 Will be interesting seeing how flavours change from brew to brew.

OldDogBrewing

Reaction score
That might not be a good thing though as getting consistently similar brews will be super hard 😂 Will be interesting seeing how flavours change from brew to brew.
You'll get some milky/caramel notes from the bacteria

Nathan Graen

Reaction score
I'm not super impressed. I pitched a day and a half ago and I'm down 18 points. Which is not bad, but I've seen this kind of action from S04. I expected more from the mythical Hornindal beast that boasts 24 hour and done fermentations.

I am using the Omega blend. I oxygenated by pouring a great distance(couple feet) from my kettle to my fermenter(lots of foam). I gave it a double dose of nutrient. However, I am pressure fermenting at 30PSI and I did underpitch.

Last edited:
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Reaction score
However, I am pressure fermenting at 30PSI
That may be the issue - kveik is a true farmhouse yeast and although Omega separated this yeast out from the original, it still seems to work best in the conditions it has been selected for over generations (of brewers).

It would be interesting to see the same exact beer fermented out without the pressure.

Gusso

Reaction score
This weekend, I might do my Tripel recipe with Hornindal. Being that I'll scream when I pitch the yeast, it only seems fitting that I bruise A cucumber and toss it in the boil for a minute or two. The Screaming Viking!

Latest posts