Suggested yeast for a raw ale (other than kveik)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javierceras

Reaction score
Hi,
I was planning to give a raw ale an oportunity (the third, actually...), but I have some doubts for the yeast to use.
Most recipes I have found use kveik (voss, lutra, etc.) and I have voss, but temps are quite low where I ferment so I am thinking about using US-05.
It will be a pretty simple no-boil ale, 95% pale malt, 5% melanoidin and then hop tea.
Am I missing something?
Any ideas will be appreciated!

thanks!

Use what ever you use in your other ales that you are familiar with and can easily obtain.

I don't think yeast care whether it's raw ale or not since they won't know whether it's been boiled or not. All they'll know is whether it's at the temperature they prefer to ferment in.

Googling to see if there were any particulars to raw ale that I wasn't aware of, I ran across this....

https://byo.com/article/raw-ale/
But their recipe also was with kveik. Though I don't see where it matters unless you feel it has to be brewed with strictly traditional ingredients. Sort of like some discussions of what is and isn't a Belgian beer or a London Stout.

I wonder how Conan might pair with that? Maybe Conan or Verdant IPA?

Viking brews mentions Finnish bread yeast by suomen hiiva for sahti making.
Flavour profile would be all wrong for your beer though.

Back