Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know most brewers use Kveik to quickly turn around beer but does anyone have any experience letting it sit for longer in the fermenter at high temps? Are there any possible side effects from staying in the FV at 80-95 degree temps for 10-14 days?
I've had a few beers wait in fermenters for a good long while (life can be a real PITA) and even during a heatwave.

Only problem, if that, was just longer bottle conditioning for carbonation levels.

I had a pack of 091 Hornindal that was dated Oct. 18, 2019. Made a 2 liter starter and while it usually pops right away, it took 16 hours to show activity but then in another 4, it was almost done. I put it in the fridge overnight and brewed today. Chilled to 86 and then added the starter and in 45 minutes, I'm smelling good things.
I think I'll not go above 90-92 this time just to see what difference I get. I've usually done 95-100 and doubt I'll notice anything but figured I'd try anyway.

Got the brew done Sunday but my temperature probe on my E system is going bad and I think I mashed at 158. It's all good.
I had activity in 45 minutes at 87 degrees. It got to 92 and the next day, it stopped at 1.020 (with an OG of 1.060). I doubt it's the yeast. I had nutrient and lots of oxygen in it. Gotta be the high mash temp but that's not gonna be a problem. It if tastes as good as it smells, it's gonna go fast!

Do anyone else ever notice just how much beers using Hornindal (and maybe other Kveik strains too) change the taste of the beer every week or so?
I keg but each of the 5 beers I've used Hornindal in have had some pretty noticeable (for the better) changes as they aged in the keg. Usually about 3 weeks after kegging I notice the best flavor and enjoyment but by the end of the keg, it almost tastes like a completely different beer. It's almost like I've brewed 3 or 4 different beers from the beginning of the keg until it's completion.
This is not a complaint but something I actually enjoy.

Do anyone else ever notice just how much beers using Hornindal (and maybe other Kveik strains too) change the taste of the beer every week or so?
I keg but each of the 5 beers I've used Hornindal in have had some pretty noticeable (for the better) changes as they aged in the keg. Usually about 3 weeks after kegging I notice the best flavor and enjoyment but by the end of the keg, it almost tastes like a completely different beer. It's almost like I've brewed 3 or 4 different beers from the beginning of the keg until it's completion.
for me this has happened but it really depends on the beer style I brew with it.

Hmmm not sure I have, but that is strange. Not sure I'd be okay with that or not.

Idk if it’s the yeast or whether the flavors marry, but I have noticed that before.

Maybe my statement about it tasting like 3 or 4 different beers was not explained well and that's my bad. Basically, I'm not talking about a completely different beer but slight iterations of the same beer. Just much more so than other yeasts I normally use. Every beer I keg has it's changes from fresh to prime to 'time to finish this keg!' but with Hornindal, it's more so.
My last beer, only 2 weeks from brewing, with Bru1, Azacca and and HBC-586 is very, very good. Didn't get the aroma I was hoping for but the clean and semi dry mouth feel and taste is very enjoyable.

So now I'm going to try other Kveik yeasts such as Kveiking and POG by Imperial to see how they do. I'll probably repeat the recipes for simplicity and expect to enjoy them but also see if I get the similar great changes I've noticed with Hornindal.

Yeah, I'm in southern Arizona, and my main struggle is keeping my fermenters cool enough. The Hornindal should be a no brainer, but my main tastes lie with Belgians, British barleywines, and wee heavy Scotch ales. I am contemplating a tripel with the kveik, though.
I'm with you on styles. Very curious if you've ever done a tripel with kveik. You mentioned it a year or so ago. I just got back into brewing after a 6 year hiatus. Love that Kveik for tropical IPA. But I love tripels. Did you ever do a tripel? Missed about 8 pages. I have been doing my Kveik in my hot SC garage and its great.

Well the obvious point about trying to do any Belgian style with the standard Norwegian kveiks is that they are all non-phenolic, so trying to do a tripel with kveik will end up more like a British CC than a tripel.

So what's the consensus on making a starter, not making a starter, pitch rate for neipas? I got a fresh pack from Omega, and I'm planning on brewing Friday. I always make a starter, run for 24-48 hours, cold crash, decant then pitch. I've read people just pitching a tablespoon or so from the pouch with good results up to people making a normal starter and having enough yeast for multiple subsequent batches. Just trying to see if it's worth my time to make a starter. The pouch says it's enough yeast for a 5 gallon 1.060 batch, but I'm guessing Omega just needed to slap something on the package.

So what's the consensus on making a starter, not making a starter, pitch rate for neipas? I got a fresh pack from Omega, and I'm planning on brewing Friday. I always make a starter, run for 24-48 hours, cold crash, decant then pitch. I've read people just pitching a tablespoon or so from the pouch with good results up to people making a normal starter and having enough yeast for multiple subsequent batches. Just trying to see if it's worth my time to make a starter. The pouch says it's enough yeast for a 5 gallon 1.060 batch, but I'm guessing Omega just needed to slap something on the package.

Most recently I made a starter and the kveik chewed through it in 24 hours. I pitched a tablespoon of that into the wort for a 1.060 beer, then put the rest in a mason jar for another batch. Beer came out great.

Most recently I made a starter and the kveik chewed through it in 24 hours. I pitched a tablespoon of that into the wort for a 1.060 beer, then put the rest in a mason jar for another batch. Beer came out great.
Thanks. Good to know. I made a 2L starter, divided it among 3 mason jars and pitched the rest. MAYBE 8oz. Expecting good things. Waiting for the mason jars to settle out, then I'll put the slurry into 1 jar for future uses.

I've done a few beers with this yeast. I love it in fruity IPAs, though it mostly gets covered up, I think it plays a nice supporting role. I've always had it dry things out a lot.

My most recent batch was a wit-ish grist without orange zest or spice, just HK (omega) fermented hot, underpitched (just use a bit of slurry) and not oxygenated at all. Did something like 1.042-1.006 pretty quickly and came out very fruity without off flavors that I or my brew club could detect. Early on it almost had a white wine flavor, almost tasted of apple juice, too. That toned done after a bit and it just turned into a really nice, fruity wheat beer.

Anyone get farts and not citrusy goodness during fermentation? Made a 2L starter, pitched about 3 tablespoons. Used double the nutrients during the boil (during both the starter and the wort). Fermentation kicked off within 3 hours. Went very quiet around 36 hours. Smells kinda nasty, not gonna lie. Like a lager starter. I'm going to let it sit at 95 for another 3 days at least. Should I still dry hop and pray?

Anyone get farts and not citrusy goodness during fermentation? Made a 2L starter, pitched about 3 tablespoons. Used double the nutrients during the boil (during both the starter and the wort). Fermentation kicked off within 3 hours. Went very quiet around 36 hours. Smells kinda nasty, not gonna lie. Like a lager starter. I'm going to let it sit at 95 for another 3 days at least. Should I still dry hop and pray?
It’s happened to me and I just pushed through it. It didn’t transfer to the final beer.

It’s happened to me and I just pushed through it. It didn’t transfer to the final beer.
Good to know.

I've heard the yeast actually gets better with each subsequent pitch - 3rd and 4th generations especially. We'll find out!

So I’m making a 5.5 gal batch of 1.088-ish neipa tomorrow and I’d like to really push the esters on this. It’ll be fermented in the mid to high 90’s. Should I just use 1tbsp, 2tpsp or a whole pack to help push the esters in this juicy neipa.

Read the articles. That’s crazy to me to use so little. Guess I’ll go with one tbsp for the gravity I’m expecting. The rest of the pack I think I’m gonna make a small starter and pitch it into that then mason jar the slurry and use that for future batches.
Yes I know it seems crazy but throw away your rulebook on fermenting when it comes to kveik yeasts and follow the guidelines in these articles.

I recently brewed a NEIPA using the Hornindal and it turned out great. Pitched at 84F and threw my brew belt on to get the fermentation up well over 90F. No fusels or off flavors, just some nice tropical and citrus esters that compliment the hops (even a hint of vanilla in the finish?).

Excuse the crappy cellphone pic, but here it is:
View attachment 582774
What was your dry hopping timing in and for how long? tks. Looks great!

Great to hear. Definitely want to try it. Omega’s site say that the C hops work well with this strain. What hops have you been using?
ABsolutely accurate! It's in my house pale with CTZ & Cascade for a very pleasant orange zest / grapefruit / pine combo.

I had a year-old pack in my fridge so I did a starter almost 3 weeks ago. It took off very slow, probably ~24 hours before there was much activity but then chewed through it in less than 24. I poured off most of the beer leaving just enough to make a good slurry and poured about 2/3 in a jar for later and left the rest in the flask covered in the fridge. Didn't get around to brewing last weekend but did a batch of "Average Perfect NEIPA" yesterday and pitched about 3PM yesterday at 95. The Tilt was indicating a drop in gravity within a couple hours and by this morning was approaching 70% attenuation. Dry hopping really confuses the Tilts until the hops sink but based on airlock activity it has definitely slowed dramatically since morning and its conceivable it could finish in 24 hours or less. Even with a double dry hop schedule of 7 days I should still be able to enjoy this while smoking this year's turkey.

Edit: 29 hours after pitching and based on airlock activity its done. However watching the sight glass is mesmerizing. Over about 5 minutes I watched the sight glass completely fill with large clumps of yeast and the Tilt started registering gravity about 5 points lower than when I first started watching, ending around 80% attenuation A little while later it was half empty. Now nearly full yet again and back around 80%. The basement smells fantastic.

Last edited:
Well the obvious point about trying to do any Belgian style with the standard Norwegian kveiks is that they are all non-phenolic, so trying to do a tripel with kveik will end up more like a British CC than a tripel.

I use a Belgian yeast for the first day or two, and finish with Kviek. The citrusy notes of Kviek pairs well Belgian styles.

I'm waiting for a vial to be delivered next week, if I like it maybe I'll go for the non clean one

I see your point, but what is British CC? I'm currently buzzed on a Saison...

CC (aka C ale) is an almost extinct style that's particularly associated with Manchester - they vary a bit, they probably originated as a Manchester take on Burton ale so some have a fair bit of crystal or dark sugar in them but some end up...well, like a tripel made with British yeast.

do you still get good attenuation?
I’ll let you know in a few days. I pitched a pack of Saisonstein‘s monster right out of the pack. Two days later on Thanksgiving a pack of Voss Kviek. Airlock is still going strong @80 F.

I just got a pouch of omega hornindal that is a little bit swollen and even after a few nights in a cold fridge still remains swollen. Planning on brewing tomorrow and doing the whole under pitch thing, but would love to also bank some for future use. Any recommendations whether I should make a starter to use for later brew days or should I just dump the pouch into a sanitized jar, pitch 2 teaspoons and call it a day? I had tried using this strain about a year ago and made a starter for it. It was probably the most foul smelling sulfurous starter I had ever smelled, so I’m a little hesitant to do that again. I heard that starters with Kveik are problematic due to the relatively low gravity of the wort. Feedback greatly appreciated!

I just got a pouch of omega hornindal that is a little bit swollen and even after a few nights in a cold fridge still remains swollen. Planning on brewing tomorrow and doing the whole under pitch thing, but would love to also bank some for future use. Any recommendations whether I should make a starter to use for later brew days or should I just dump the pouch into a sanitized jar, pitch 2 teaspoons and call it a day? I had tried using this strain about a year ago and made a starter for it. It was probably the most foul smelling sulfurous starter I had ever smelled, so I’m a little hesitant to do that again. I heard that starters with Kveik are problematic due to the relatively low gravity of the wort. Feedback greatly appreciated!
I now make my starters at 1.070 and add plenty of nutrients, all take off in hours now

I’ll let you know in a few days. I pitched a pack of Saisonstein‘s monster right out of the pack. Two days later on Thanksgiving a pack of Voss Kviek. Airlock is still going strong @80 F.

After 2 weeks gravity went from 1.071 to 1.012 and was still showing signs of fermentation. A week later it dropped to 1.010. Still pretty dry for a 1.071 beer! I suspect that the Kviek did its thing in a few days, and then the diastatic yeast pecked away at the more complex sugars. It didn’t save any fermentation time, but I’m hoping to save some aging time and to get some citrus flavor notes.

Since fermentation is done in a 2-3 days, should the dry hops be added when the yeast is pitched to the fermentor? Also, how would pressure fermentation affect this?

I see you guys mention "Hornindal strain". Isn't Hornindal kveik 8 different strains plus bacterial cultures? I will brew tomorrow using Hornindal and im quite afraid of ruining my brewing equipment using a culture containing bacteria.

I see you guys mention "Hornindal strain". Isn't Hornindal kveik 8 different strains plus bacterial cultures? I will brew tomorrow using Hornindal and im quite afraid of ruining my brewing equipment using a culture containing bacteria.
Where did you get your Hornindal? There's a wide variety of isolated and blends (w/ and without bacteria) available, and then there's the original culture.

Where did you get your Hornindal? There's a wide variety of isolated and blends (w/ and without bacteria) available, and then there's the original culture.
I have the original culture obtained from a local brewery yesterday.

I have the original culture obtained from a local brewery yesterday.
Then there's bacteria in there but as they don't use that much hops in the original beer, it's probably really hop sensitive, just sanitize properly the cold side equipment after using and you should have any issue with it

Then there's bacteria in there but as they don't use that much hops in the original beer, it's probably really hop sensitive, just sanitize properly the cold side equipment after using and you should have any issue with it
Great :) I am fermenting on an all rounder and cleaning it is super easy :)

Back