Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been reading this thread for a long time. Finally brewed with Hornindal today. 1 hour later, it's already doing it's thing! I made a starter to keep some for another brew and it overflowed! It's at 90 now and I hope to keep it about 92-94.

But, if I plan to keg this in 1 week, how soon should I dry hop? Lots of thoughts here but I don't recall seeing anyone post back after they tried what they said they were. I'm thinking on day 3. So, thoughts?

I like to drop hop on day 3 because it is done by then and I can drop the temp back down to ambient, I don’t like the flavor of dryhopping at high temperatures (80-100*)

Does anyone harvest this from a dry hopped IPA cake? My attempt at drying only yield about a tablespoon of flakes, used wax paper thinking I grabbed the parchment and it stuck pretty good.

I plan on brewing barleywine later this month (est OG: 1.098) and will be using hornindal. I currently have some dried that i'll be making a starter with and plan to use that starter to dehydrate some more.

My question is, how much slurry from the starter should I add for 4 gallons of ~1.098 wort?

I've got mine in a Speidel fermenter and no way to accurately know the temperature but the temperature in the utility room got to 97 and the beer felt very warm so overnight I moved it back in the house. Activity in the airlock is completely stopped. Not even 24 hours. I've not checked the gravity yet but if this thing got to 100 or 102, what can I expect?
I think I've read a few posts on here long ago that said no damage was done at 100 and I'm hoping that's so but no activity this soon is a concern for me.

So it appears this beer is done. Krausen was gone last night and it's already clearing. Down to 1.007 from 1.059. I dry hopped it today but tasted it and though it's hard to tell at this point, it taste alot like a Pilsner. Kind of 'meh'. No judgement until it's dry hopped, kegged and carbed but I was hoping with Mecca Grade Lamonta malt and lb each of White Wheat and Vienna malt, it would have a bit more to it. Maybe I'll mash higher next time depending on the final verdict but I must say, it's so weird fermenting close to 100 and not have any off flavors.
I have lots of playing around to do in the future such as pitching less yeast and fermenting cooler to see what it brings out in flavor.

I brewed today and tried this yeast.

20# Viking pilsner,

Mash in at 148F mash appox 70 min + 10 min recirc

1 oz Amarillo pellet first wort
1 oz Amarillo pellet 30 min boil
1/2 oz Amarillo leaf, post whirlpool steep at 175F

11 gallons in fermentor

SSG; 1.061

Pitched one pouch into wort 83F at 1:45, already working at 4:15.

Have fermwrap heater set to 83F.

Will post results when done.

I recently brewed a NEIPA using the Hornindal and it turned out great. Pitched at 84F and threw my brew belt on to get the fermentation up well over 90F. No fusels or off flavors, just some nice tropical and citrus esters that compliment the hops (even a hint of vanilla in the finish?).

Excuse the crappy cellphone pic, but here it is:
View attachment 582774
hey, would you happen to have this recipe to share? when did you dry hop? at the end? all at pitch? splitted in 2? how many days in total where the hops incluiding cold? what about pitch rates? looks pretty damn good

I have a beer fermenting (galaxy/Nelson/El Dorado NEIPA) right now in my chest freezer at 85F. I’m going to try to turn it around in 4-5 days. If it comes out good, it will be a nice quick turnaround option....if it’s just ok...I’ll just set my fermenter at 66 and wait a few more days with a non Kveik yeast. Seems like the main advantage if for those that lack temp control. I guess I’ll see in a few days.

Can folks who’ve done NEIPA with hornindal report back, please? Trying to decide whether to use this or Voss for my first Kveik NEIPA this weekend. Will be fermented at room temp of 74F but pitching probably at 78F.

Also, for the biotransformation dry hop: for those who did this step at similar 78-80F temps, did it result in grassiness? I was planning on doing DH #1 around 24H at full Krausen, then letting it finish out fermentation and chill to room temp of 74 before DH #2

Can folks who’ve done NEIPA with hornindal report back, please? Trying to decide whether to use this or Voss for my first Kveik NEIPA this weekend. Will be fermented at room temp of 74F but pitching probably at 78F.

Also, for the biotransformation dry hop: for those who did this step at similar 78-80F temps, did it result in grassiness? I was planning on doing DH #1 around 24H at full Krausen, then letting it finish out fermentation and chill to room temp of 74 before DH #2

Just based on the flocculation, I’d go with Voss. Curious to those that use both with any regularly if there is a big flavor difference?

Just based on the flocculation, I’d go with Voss. Curious to those that use both with any regularly if there is a big flavor difference?

Did Biermuncher’s Centennial Blonde with Voss and it’s almost lager-clear, so I don’t want to let the “need for haze” drive the decision. Oats, wheat, Biotransformation DH, plus regular DH and lack of moss/finings should produce haze in most beers, though I could care less if it clarifies. Hoping to choose strain based on least hop-related off flavors at 78-80F temp range.

I had 86% attenuation on a Green Bullet IPA. Started at 1.068 to 1.021 after 48 hours but after transfering it to secundary and dry hopping it ended up at 1.009 (ABV of 7.8%). This was all in 15 days. Bottled it yesterday with table sugar, didn't use any bottling yeast. I am pretty confident I get enough carbonation.
View attachment 637833

After one week in the bottle it looked like this and tasted clean and fresh, enough hop flavor, no off flavours and some hints of citrus and enough carbonation despite of the fact I didn't use bottling yeast as suggested here http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html. I am very happy with the result.
20190804_175940-01.jpeg

Only done one with hirnindal but I severely underpitched at 85 degrees and the flavour came out amazingly, with the temp rising naturally to roughly 90.

Was planning on doing a bio dry hop but krauzen fell by day two, so just did a regular dry hop after 48hrs. No grassiness just great citrus orange flavours

Thinking of trying this out for a late season blueberry wheat experiment.

Thinking of going with:
10# white wheat malt
1# oats
10lbs blueberry
1oz Amarillo (15 minute for 20 ibu)
1tsp hornindal slurry

Going for a mash of 158-160 to keep the fg a bit higher, and wanting to see how the blueberries do in a kviek from the boil stage along with the fruity/orangy flavour from the fermentation, as well as the fruit providing nutrients for the yeast. (Plus I got a great deal on blueberries, so have 10lb to play around with).

Not planning on the blueberry flavour to be very strong since it is in the boil, but curious to see how the flavour plays out with the others from the yeast and hops.

On 8/11 I brewed recipe in post #488 in this thread. Just like in the post, but ended up fermenting around 85F instead of 83. Racked to kegs to spund after 5 days in fermentor at SG 1.016. Has been spunding at at 73F, current cellar temp.

I am fully aware that beers can work off odd tastes with time. But since most mention how clean it is after only a short time, am a bit concerned because taste of crashed sample the next day was an unpleasant plastic orange.

Is spunding up, and will crash and condition before I judge, just wondering if anyone has experienced this or if anyone with more experience with this yeast has any insights.

Interested in kveik for APAs and IPAs, does it get "funky"? I've used Omega OYL-200 fermented mid to upper 70s and it came out fantastic. Big tropical fruity esters, no funk, are kveik esters similar to this?

What was your pitch rate like with the OYL-200 and how high was the original gravity?

I'm planning to brew a NEIPA @ 1.070~ OG and want esters, but no fusel or hot alcohol flavors.

I usually like to pitch most IPAs on the lower end of the suggested range then bring em up after that.

Suggested range on this one is 70-85.

Planning to pitch this one at 72 and let naturally rise up to 75 for initial 3 days of active fermentation. Then let it raise up to 80-85 after that over the rest of 2 weeks primary. With the higher OG, I'm thinking that should still be enough to bring out the esters to compliment the hops.

On 8/11 I brewed recipe in post #488 in this thread. Just like in the post, but ended up fermenting around 85F instead of 83. Racked to kegs to spund after 5 days in fermentor at SG 1.016. Has been spunding at at 73F, current cellar temp.

I am fully aware that beers can work off odd tastes with time. But since most mention how clean it is after only a short time, am a bit concerned because taste of crashed sample the next day was an unpleasant plastic orange.

Is spunding up, and will crash and condition before I judge, just wondering if anyone has experienced this or if anyone with more experience with this yeast has any insights.
I've read about the possibility of plastic taste with this yeast, but never experienced it myself. Would be interesting to see what actually causes it because it seems not to be in every beer it's used in.

I've read about the possibility of plastic taste with this yeast, but never experienced it myself. Would be interesting to see what actually causes it because it seems not to be in every beer it's used in.

I guess if anyone knows what agent causes plastic taste, if it is a specific chemical or the like, would be a good clue.. I guess it would be an ester of some sort.

I'm wondering if boosting the temp of the finish would help, but my instinct is to leave it as is and wait for a period of time.

My last hornindal fermented at 98F then up to 100F on day 2. I put my whirlpool hops in fermentor and transfer wort on top. Trying natural carb in the keg with my dry hop additions as as 4oz of sugar and 100grams of butterfly tea concentrate to see how purple it gets. Currently chilling in the fridge and should be ready this weekend.

I just kegged up one yesterday I brewed with Hornindal, fermented at 75F and dry hopped at 75F at 36 hours post pitch (looked to be high krausen to me). Hard to tell based on the warm sample, so I'll report back once it's cold and carbed. I decided not to do a second dry hop as I wasn't sure of logistics. Suppose I should get a second bag to put in my fermenter. I didn't want to deal with opening the fermenter, pulling out the soaked bag of hops, letting it drip, leaving the fermenter open for too long, etc. etc. Suppose the logical step would be to dry hop in the keg with one of those floaty beer systems with a screen that pulls beer from the top. I have a couple of those, but don't have the accompanying screen.

Last edited:
Got my mash and brew done for the blueberry wheat. Only situation I had was yet again over effeciency.

My 6% ale would have been a solid 8% and I stopped squeezing the bag well before it was drained.

So decided what the hell, took the grains still wet with wort, put them in another pot, and poured a good solid gallon of wort on them, then diluted the primary wort to a preboil OG of .60.

Now I'm making a second runnings Keptniss using hornindal!

Attachments

• IMG_20190823_162949.jpg
    IMG_20190823_162949.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 110
Holy trub Batman!!

Haven't had this much trub outside of pumpkin ales before. Only been 48 hours so I know it's going to settle, but it looks like most of the proteins in the 80/20 wheat bill I used have congealed and settled out with everything at the bottom as well.

Gonna rack in day 5 to the rest of the blueberries. Give it time to compact the trub.

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_153537.jpg
    IMG_20190825_153537.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
I just kegged up one yesterday I brewed with Hornindal, fermented at 75F and dry hopped at 75F at 36 hours post pitch (looked to be high krausen to me). Hard to tell based on the warm sample, so I'll report back once it's cold and carbed. I decided not to do a second dry hop as I wasn't sure of logistics. Suppose I should get a second bag to put in my fermenter. I didn't want to deal with opening the fermenter, pulling out the soaked bag of hops, letting it drip, leaving the fermenter open for too long, etc. etc. Suppose the logical step would be to dry hop in the keg with one of those floaty beer systems with a screen that pulls beer from the top. I have a couple of those, but don't have the accompanying screen.
A follow up on this - my NEIPA is pouring now and it's quite delicious. I'll be doing this again. I don't know that I want to brew with any other ale yeast anymore. This stuff is awesome. Might be tough in the winter to brew ales for me. I keep my house cool in the mid 60's. So I may have to just brew lagers all winter or get a heat belt thingy.

There are a few Kveiks that can ferment well in the 20's ( Celsius ) and I am sure that all of them can ferment at 68-74F, although fermentation will probably be a bit slower and the esters will somewhat be just a touch supressed.

There are a few Kveiks that can ferment well in the 20's ( Celsius ) and I am sure that all of them can ferment at 68-74F, although fermentation will probably be a bit slower and the esters will somewhat be just a touch supressed.
I suppose it's worth a try. I think I'm also going to get a fermentation heater wrap thingy from MoreBeer and run it with my Inkbird. Seems like a nice way to keep beers happy in the cool months anyway.

I suppose it's worth a try. I think I'm also going to get a fermentation heater wrap thingy from MoreBeer and run it with my Inkbird. Seems like a nice way to keep beers happy in the cool months anyway.
I use a heat wrap with my inkbird and it works extremely well. I'm testing the limits of it right now by having two kegs heating to 97'F with one wrap.

I did a double brew day yesterday and have 4 gallons of barleywine and 3 gallons of tropical stout that i'm fermenting in corny kegs with hornindal. So far the belt has been doing an ok job. It's running pretty much full time but i'm keeping temps in the 95-96'F range

I use a heat wrap with my inkbird and it works extremely well. I'm testing the limits of it right now by having two kegs heating to 97'F with one wrap.

I did a double brew day yesterday and have 4 gallons of barleywine and 3 gallons of tropical stout that i'm fermenting in corny kegs with hornindal. So far the belt has been doing an ok job. It's running pretty much full time but i'm keeping temps in the 95-96'F range
I probably won't keep it that warm, maybe more like 80F. The beers I've made were fermented around 80F ambient and I really enjoyed those. The NEIPA was fermented and dry hopped at 75F and it turned out nicely.

I probably won't keep it that warm, maybe more like 80F. The beers I've made were fermented around 80F ambient and I really enjoyed those. The NEIPA was fermented and dry hopped at 75F and it turned out nicely.
Interesting. Pretty much everything i've read said to ferment as warm as possible. I'll lower it a little bit and see how that goes

A follow up on this - my NEIPA is pouring now and it's quite delicious. I'll be doing this again. I don't know that I want to brew with any other ale yeast anymore. This stuff is awesome. Might be tough in the winter to brew ales for me. I keep my house cool in the mid 60's. So I may have to just brew lagers all winter or get a heat belt thingy.

While it may just be my yeast, I regularly had to degas my yeast jars of Hornindal because even in the fridge they continue to ferment whatever they can, so depending on how cold your winter's are, you may be able to keep up the kveik brewing and go for some Altbiers etc and have the cleaner profile.

While it may just be my yeast, I regularly had to degas my yeast jars of Hornindal because even in the fridge they continue to ferment whatever they can, so depending on how cold your winter's are, you may be able to keep up the kveik brewing and go for some Altbiers etc and have the cleaner profile.
That's true. One of my jars of Hornindal, right now, is like this. I have to keep degassing it. But the other is not. It's interesting. The last batch I harvested didn't seem to do this too much. I think I'd like to get a heat pad thing anyway for when I want to ferment warm. I may try this, doing an altbier or kolsch and see how it turns out. Either way, this yeast is badass. Except for lagers, I'm not really wanting to use anything else at this point.

Is nobody else winding up with the weird caramel or mushroom type flavors? My hornidal beers all had weird caramel flavors as opposed to citrus, really not what i was expecting. They were underpitched, fermented hot, etc etc. Miles away from the bright citrus that’s described here.

Is nobody else winding up with the weird caramel or mushroom type flavors? My hornidal beers all had weird caramel flavors as opposed to citrus, really not what i was expecting. They were underpitched, fermented hot, etc etc. Miles away from the bright citrus that’s described here.
Try fermenting it cooler and see what you get.

Or perhaps this is a weird thing that your palate perceives as that flavor and everyone else is getting citrus? Sometimes heavy citrus can taste kinda weird.

Did you use Omega hornindal? Or some other source? That description that you give is in line with what most people say the full culture will give.

The fruitiness is supposed to be prominent mainly in the isolate that Omega offers.

Try fermenting it cooler and see what you get.

Or perhaps this is a weird thing that your palate perceives as that flavor and everyone else is getting citrus? Sometimes heavy citrus can taste kinda weird.
im defintely not the only one. much earlier in this thread there's quite a few of us who got something similar. and the wife got something similar too.

Did you use Omega hornindal? Or some other source? That description that you give is in line with what most people say the full culture will give.

The fruitiness is supposed to be prominent mainly in the isolate that Omega offers.
I feel like it did get it from omega. its been so long I don't remember but I can't think of anywhere else I would have gotten it from. white labs, wyeast, imperial, they didn't have it at that time to my knowledge.

Back