Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do Brucontrol now... a rpi based system worked for me but just didn't tick everything off the lost. If you get it all now you wont spend the money twice. p.s. my initial Brucontrol setup is not fully automated.

Do Brucontrol now... a rpi based system worked for me but just didn't tick everything off the lost. If you get it all now you wont spend the money twice. p.s. my initial Brucontrol setup is not fully automated.

What specifically did the rpi system not do well that BruControl does? I am mostly looking at automating mash steps only at this point.

It is more flexible and allows a broader range of accessories for the future. It is supported by a company instead of a group of individuals. They do similar things and either will work. The future options sold me.

Automating mash temps... you only need a PID Or EZBOIL controller.

It is more flexible and allows a broader range of accessories for the future. It is supported by a company instead of a group of individuals. They do similar things and either will work. The future options sold me.

Automating mash temps... you only need a PID Or EZBOIL controller.

The mash temp is my requirement for the initial build. I am aware that a PID/EZBOIL will handle that, but it seems so locked in and inflexible to go with a hardware solution if you are planning for any type of future expansion. As a software guy I don't like that approach. I expect liquid transfer, etc to rather manual until I get the system dialed in and brew on it for a bit. But I want to expand out the automation capabilities after that in a year or so.

When going the software route you need to be prepared for stuff (SD card etc) breaking mid-brew and have a plan B. It really sucks having to reinstall all your software while already in the brewing process. This is what put me off CPB.

buy as much of your hardware to do both cbpi and BruControl, active high relay boards, DS18B20's, etc.. start with the CBPi with a PiZeroW for $10, and if it does not meet your needs, you still have learned, can get the arduinos and bc software and the most you are out is $10 if you do it straight from the board and $50 if you get an add-on board... heck, make the CBPi panel like you were goign to sell it to a friend, and if you don;t like it, do just that... you can always get your parts value out of it...

Back