Cucumber mint saison recipe—help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiongrimm

Reaction score
Given that summertime is upon us, i have decided to throw together a nice refreshing saison, but seeing as I have never made my own before, I would like some help with the recipe(also any opinions or suggestions are very welcomed). I am putting together a cucumber mint saison. Here is the recipe:

5gal batch
OG:1.045
FG:1.007
5% ABV
16.96 IBU

WLP590 French Saison Yeast
6.5lb Pilsen DME
.75lb carapils
.5oz Saaz (possibly summer or mosaic, still deciding that) @60
.5oz of whichever hop is decided upon @5
1 whirlfloc @10
3tsp nutrient @10
1 whole cucumber, peeled and sliced, added to secondary(1 week total)
mint into secondary (4oz fresh spearmint tincture in vodka, steeped for 1 week)(1 week total in secondary)

My big question here is
A)how much cucumber will be enough to stand out and be refreshing, but not to overpower,
and B)what will be the best way to add the mint? my 3 options that seem to make the most sense are putting fresh mint leaves into vodka to make a tincture, buying mint extract, or just using mint tea bags.

Last edited:
I do whole cucumber(peeled and chopped) in a cucumber sour and my first try I did 6lbs(1lb/gallon) and it was spot on. Im on my 5th or 6th rebrew and havent adjusted. You may want to lower that though as its not the only flavor component in your beer.

There isn't alot of sugar in cucumber so you could always start low and add more at kegging if its underwhelming and just wait to carbonate fully for a few days?

Not a bad idea. I had intended to bottle condition because my carb system isn’t fully set up yet, but nonetheless I can add more during secondary or something similar. Keeping it whole would help with clarity too.

Back