Adding mint to a saison? Methods, timing, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiongrimm

Reaction score
I am planning to make a cucumber spearmint saison (est 5% abv). Just a nice refreshing summer beer. I am trying to figure out when/how to add the mint into it though. I want a fresh mint flavor, but for the cucumber to really shine through. I have seen a few methods, such as adding whole mint leaves, extract, tea bags, or peppermint schnapps to the secondary, or using whole leaves, extract, or a mint lifesaver into whirlpool, does anyone have any suggestions? My experience has shown that the extracts and schnapps both tend to taste like mouthwash, but that the leaves get overpowering FAST. Also is there any notable difference in flavor between adding any of these at boil-time vs after fermentation? I wouldn’t think so because there are no sugars you’re working with, only oil in most cases, but I have not done it before haha.

Back