12 Beers of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very tasty lambicky ale, @JAReeves ! I really like sour beers and this is a good one! Good taste, aroma and color. My grandson is a big fan of sours also, so looking forward to sharing one of yours with him.
IMG_20231224_173740.jpg

@thetick Honey Ginger IPA

Pours slightly cloudy, head dissipates quickly. Low carbonation.

Aroma of ginger for sure, even without the help of carbonation lifting the aroma (and I'm using a glass with activation sites on bottom).

Thanks! Sorry for the low carbonation. At some point I will have to break down and get a counter pressure filler. I‘ve been using the “We don’t need no beer gun…” technique found elsewhere on the forum. It works great for my thicker swing tops that hold the cold while filled, but I’m getting inconsistent results with standard bottles.

Cheers!

11th Beer of Christmas - @passedpawn's Christmas Gruit
Beer pours a beautiful orangey-amber. Crystal clear with a thick white head that dissipates slowly. Absolutely stunning clarity - just a gorgeous beer. I'm a gruit virgin so I have nothing to compare it to, but I really enjoyed the flavor. Delicate spiciness with each spice being distinctly present but none being prominent. Was pleasantly surprised that the anise doesn't dominate. A really well brewed, enjoyable beer - perfect for the season. Very nice beer @passedpawn. Cheers and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_8419.jpeg
    IMG_8419.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
@4_Sons_Brewing Caramel Quadruple

Base seems like a very good quad. Great body and color. Medium clarity. Small head that does hang around for a bit. Low - medium carb, but I don't see this as a fault - seemed good for the style.

Definitely spice on top. Very good holiday style - one of the best of the year. Great job! (and I have canning envy... might need to look into it this year). Label is GREAT, despite the AI spelling atrocities.

1703625664398.png

@GoodTimeCharlie Saffron Tripel

Lost most of this beer when it opened - gushed all over the place. Sooooo, didn't expect much. Boy was I wrong. It's EXCELLENT!!!

Slightly citrussy, great body, turbid (cloudy) as hell, but after the 'splosion, not a surprise. No head.

I could drink this all night. Too bad 50% of it went down the drain.

1703629840733.png

@GoodTimeCharlie Saffron Tripel

Lost most of this beer when it opened - gushed all over the place. Sooooo, didn't expect much. Boy was I wrong. It's EXCELLENT!!!

Slightly citrussy, great body, turbid (cloudy) as hell, but after the 'splosion, not a surprise. No head.

I could drink this all night. Too bad 50% of it went down the drain.

View attachment 837517
My thoughts exactly. I have one bottle left that I'm hoping to be able to salvage somehow. A really nice beer.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for all the beers they sent to me this year. I really enjoyed them and am looking forward to working my way back through them all over the long Upstate New York winter.

I don't have to wonder about the effort it takes to pull an exchange like this off. I understand and appreciate the care you put into making your beer. I understand and appreciate the care you put into fermenting your beer. I understand and appreciate the care you put into the packaging of your beer. I understand and appreciate the care (and treasure) you put into shipping your beer. I know how busy this time of year is and I know that you had many other demands on your time. I know you didn't have to take on an obligation like the 12 BOC - but I'm damn glad you all did.

You are fine folks, excellent brewers and it was my pleasure to make this journey with you. I hope you all have a safe, happy and prosperous new year.

Last edited:
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for all the beers they sent to me this year. I really enjoyed them and am looking forward to working my way back through them all over the long Upstate New York winter.

I don't have to wonder about the effort it takes to pull an exchange like this off. I understand and appreciate the care you put into making your beer. I understand and appreciate the care you put into fermenting your beer. I understand and appreciate the care you put into the packaging of your beer. I understand and appreciate the care (and treasure) you put into shipping your beer. I know how busy this time of year is and I know that you had many other demand on your time. I know you didn't have to take on an obligation like the 12 BOC - but I'm damn glad you all did.

You are fine folks, excellent brewers and it was my pleasure to make this journey with you. I hope you all have a safe, happy and prosperous new year.
What a nice thing to say. Yer a good dude. So happy to be a part of this with you.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for all the beers they sent to me this year.

Yes! This was a lot of fun. Thank you all for the time and effort you put into your brews. This is a tough time of year to pull something like this off. Appreciate the dedication of you all to make it happen and the awesome beers I got as a result!

@GoodTimeCharlie Saffron Tripel. Thanks to the warning from others I opened this one outside. The first try was quite explosive and I didn't manage to get any in the glass. Undeterred, I put the second one in the freezer for a while and I was able to have a more manageable opening. I got about half of it in the glass and wow, this is a delicious beer. Crisp and just the right amount of peppery yeast character. I'm going to put the last one in the freezer for even longer to see if I can get a proper pour.

tripel1.jpg
tripel2.jpg

Last but certainly not least (and finally):

@passedpawn Gruit
What a pretty pour. I got a lot of anise but if I focus on getting past it I pick up a bit of what I think is rosemary. It's a nice crisp drink, and one of few if not the first gruit I've tasted.
gruit.jpg

@JAReeves Lambicky Ale
Assertive sourness gives way to a great cranberry flavor. There's a lot of depth to this unlike a lot of commercial sours. Delicious!
lambicky.jpg

Thanks again everyone, what a fun experience!

Back