Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys , Im brewing a Chinook Centennial Amarillo IPA 6.3% abv , 44 ibu .
Im not trying to get an extremely hoppy ipa with high ibu. I am trying to avoid Citra Galaxy Mosaic etc but to get an equally nice IPA.
My plan is to get a balance hoppy flavor and nice mid - bittering at 44 ibu from all the above hops with no cover ups from the one hop to another.
(Trying to get the maximum flavor profile from all the 3 hops). Im planning to brew about 1000L in the near future.

I start with this recipe 30L to fermentor.
Pale ale malt : 6.75 kg
CaraPils : 1.5kg

chinook 18g 60min
amarillo 18gr 15min
centennial 18gr 15min
chinook 18gr 15min
chinook 18gr 5min
amarillo 18gr 85c whirpool
centennial 18gr 85c whirpool
amarillo Dry hop 30gr 5days
centennial Dry hop 30gr 5days
chinook Dry hop 30gr 5days

US-05 yeast 18C fermentation.

I want to hear your opinion about this, cheers!

I would just do bittering and the rest dry hop, imo the better flavour compared to late additions. The heat makes the hop flavour somehow muddy. Otherwise, sounds good!

I would just do bittering and the rest dry hop, imo the better flavour compared to late additions. The heat makes the hop flavour somehow muddy. Otherwise, sounds good!
Hmmm ,are you suggesting not even flameout addition. Just dry hop . Thanks man, i'll keep it in mind

Hello guys , Im brewing a Chinook Centennial Amarillo IPA 6.3% abv , 44 ibu .
Im not trying to get an extremely hoppy ipa with high ibu. I am trying to avoid Citra Galaxy Mosaic etc but to get an equally nice IPA.
My plan is to get a balance hoppy flavor and nice mid - bittering at 44 ibu from all the above hops with no cover ups from the one hop to another.
(Trying to get the maximum flavor profile from all the 3 hops). Im planning to brew about 1000L in the near future.

I start with this recipe 30L to fermentor.
Pale ale malt : 6.75 kg
CaraPils : 1.5kg

chinook 18g 60min
amarillo 18gr 15min
centennial 18gr 15min
chinook 18gr 15min
chinook 18gr 5min
amarillo 18gr 85c whirpool
centennial 18gr 85c whirpool
amarillo Dry hop 30gr 5days
centennial Dry hop 30gr 5days
chinook Dry hop 30gr 5days

US-05 yeast 18C fermentation.

I want to hear your opinion about this, cheers!

It looks a little low on hops for 30L of IPA.

To modify this recipe, I'd do an ounce of each at 15 and WP, adjust the 60 min for the desired IBUs, and then double the dry hop amounts.

I would only omit the 15min addition not the rest of the hot side. i like what i get from late and whirlpool additions.

Agree.

The hop combo is a great one, and going with a bittering charge early on, or even a FWH bittering charge followed up with a crap-ton load of late/F.O./whirlpool hops is the way to go. Except for my olde timey "traditional" lagers (which are almost never D.H.'d), I'm really into a FWH bittering and lots of whirlpool hops, with almost NO mid-boil hops, late hops or D.H. Things get pretty busy at the end of boil, but I get a lot of time off during a 60~75 minute boil. The only time I haven't followed this methodology lately is when I'm dusting off an old recipe for re-brew that was highly successful in the original formulation.

It looks a little low on hops for 30L of IPA.

To modify this recipe, I'd do an ounce of each at 15 and WP, adjust the 60 min for the desired IBUs, and then double the dry hop amounts.
In the recipe i use 216 gr of hops, you claim that i should almost double them ,something like 430gr in total.
But as i said am not trying to make an extremely hoppy ipa. My target is to make an ipa with mid/minimum quantity of hops easy to drink but flavory enough. I keep in mind to add more late/whorpool additions , thank you for the discussion man. You think this beer gonne be like a overpowered pale ale?

Agree.

The hop combo is a great one, and going with a bittering charge early on, or even a FWH bittering charge followed up with a crap-ton load of late/F.O./whirlpool hops is the way to go. Except for my olde timey "traditional" lagers (which are almost never D.H.'d), I'm really into a FWH bittering and lots of whirlpool hops, with almost NO mid-boil hops, late hops or D.H. Things get pretty busy at the end of boil, but I get a lot of time off during a 60~75 minute boil. The only time I haven't followed this methodology lately is when I'm dusting off an old recipe for re-brew that was highly successful in the original formulation.
So i need to make the bittering at the start or FWH and throw everything in whirpool/late/f.o. You think chinook gonna cover amarillo or centennial or i need to change the amounts?

when i started moving my late addition to whirlpool i was really impressed what it did for my beers. i felt i got brighter hop flavor from it. i know you are not looking for a smack you in the face ipa, so i get that you are not looking to add crazy amounts of hops. if you move your 15min addition to whirlpool i think youll be in a good place as far as total hops go for what you are trying to achieve. with your simple grain bill i think the hops with be noticeable but not overwhelming.. I dry hop at 1oz per gallon. looks like you are less then half that but should be fine for what you are wanting.

when i started moving my late addition to whirlpool i was really impressed what it did for my beers. i felt i got brighter hop flavor from it. i know you are not looking for a smack you in the face ipa, so i get that you are not looking to add crazy amounts of hops. if you move your 15min addition to whirlpool i think youll be in a good place as far as total hops go for what you are trying to achieve. with your simple grain bill i think the hops with be noticeable but not overwhelming.. I dry hop at 1oz per gallon. looks like you are less then half that but should be fine for what you are wanting.
Very usefull advice you are giving here, thank you. Im gonna experiment both ways with tha same wort. I think at 85 C and bolow you dont get any bitterness from whirpool additions.

In the recipe i use 216 gr of hops, you claim that i should almost double them ,something like 430gr in total.
But as i said am not trying to make an extremely hoppy ipa. My target is to make an ipa with mid/minimum quantity of hops easy to drink but flavory enough. I keep in mind to add more late/whorpool additions , thank you for the discussion man. You think this beer gonne be like a overpowered pale ale?

My point was just that using less than 1oz total hops per gallon isn't that much for modern IPAs. I read your initial post as mostly not wanting a really bitter IPA. 44 IBU is on the lower end for an IPA (but is actually where I prefer a lot of my beers as well!). If that's where you like your hop levels, go for it!

Your beer as it is, or with moving some hops to the WP, could absolutely be seen as a hoppy pale ale that is a bit too high in ABV. (2015 BJCP ABV tops out at 6.2%). It should be good!

So i need to make the bittering at the start or FWH and throw everything in whirpool/late/f.o. You think chinook gonna cover amarillo or centennial or i need to change the amounts?

I'd primarily bitter with Chinook. Make it enough to support the bulk of the bittering needed for style, maybe 40~60% of the IBUs. You can include a little Amarillo and/or Centennial with that if you like. Steep/whirlpool the bulk of Amarillo and Centennial, with maybe a lesser amount of Chinook. They all perform well as bittering and aroma hops, but my choice would be bitter with Chinook, finish with Amarillo and Centennial.

Brooo Brother

I'd primarily bitter with Chinook. Make it enough to support the bulk of the bittering needed for style, maybe 40~60% of the IBUs. You can include a little Amarillo and/or Centennial with that if you like. Steep/whirlpool the bulk of Amarillo and Centennial, with maybe a lesser amount of Chinook. They all perform well as bittering and aroma hops, but my choice would be bitter with Chinook, finish with Amarillo and Centennial.

Brooo Brother
thats my thought to bitter with chinook and finish with centennial n amarillo. Im gonna move my 15mins additions to whirpool at 85C. I think the IBU's at whirpool are extremely low?!

Kind if off topic but are you able to get clear beer dry hopping at this rate? I'm not trying to start a clear/hazy debate, just curious.
I have ... but not typically. if im looking for a clearer beer i go a little less and i cold crash real hard for a couple days. im not a stickler when it comes to that. if i want a super clear beer i brew a kolsch. i am going to attempt a clear ipa in a month or 2 and the dry hopping rate is lower then my normal.

Very usefull advice you are giving here, thank you. Im gonna experiment both ways with tha same wort. I think at 85 C and bolow you dont get any bitterness from whirpool additions.
When I first started wp/steep hopping I started at 80C for :20 mins but have since gone to 70C for :20 mins. Less isomerization at that temp, so may have to increase early hops a little to reach your desired bitterness, or add just a small amount of wp/steep hops early at :10 mins left in the boil.

Brooo Brother

thats my thought to bitter with chinook and finish with centennial n amarillo. Im gonna move my 15mins additions to whirpool at 85C. I think the IBU's at whirpool are extremely low?!

It would be less than in the boil since the hops will isomerize less at 85C, but they will also be less volatile without the boiling action. Less bitter, more aroma. If you use BeerSmith, there's a useful Hops Tool adjustment that let's you adjust both time and temperature for steep/wp additions. I won't swear to it's accuracy but it will give a rough estimate.

Brooo Brother

It would be less than in the boil since the hops will isomerize less at 85C, but they will also be less volatile without the boiling action. Less bitter, more aroma. If you use BeerSmith, there's a useful Hops Tool adjustment that let's you adjust both time and temperature for steep/wp additions. I won't swear to it's accuracy but it will give a rough estimate.

Brooo Brother
I have seen only a slighty difference on adding bitterness at whirpool ,beersmith claims it adds more. It seems im gonna test it once more :rock:!

So the new plan for making an easy to drink 44ibu, IPA ,not extremely hoppy for 30l fermentor.. is going like this
Chinook 60min 36gr
Amarillo Whirlpool 80C 45gr
Centennial Whirlpool 80C 45gr
Chinook Whirlpool 80C 54gr
Amarillo Dry hop 30gr
Centennial Dry hop 30gr
Chinook Dry hop 30gr

Maybe chinook gonna cover the rest but currently im low on amarillo n centennial . Think i ll add 45gr cascade at whirpool also to balance the difference.

If anyone have something to mention...

Last edited:
When I first started wp/steep hopping I started at 80C for :20 mins but have since gone to 70C for :20 mins. Less isomerization at that temp, so may have to increase early hops a little to reach your desired bitterness, or add just a small amount of wp/steep hops early at :10 mins left in the boil.

Brooo Brother
When i use above 4oz of hops at whirpool for 5.5gal ,i get a grassy taste. i dont know if i need to blame this for sure.

When i use above 4oz of hops at whirpool for 5.5gal ,i get a grassy taste. i dont know if i need to blame this for sure.
One way to get around grassy or vegetal tastes is using cryo hops. They are twice as expensive but go twice as far, so true cost is a wash since you use half as many hops.

Brooo Brother

I would only omit the 15min addition not the rest of the hot side. i like what i get from late and whirlpool additions.
I would move the 15 minutes to maybe 5, otherwise same - bittering, 5 min, whirlpool, dry hop.

Edit: This is also going to end up piney-er than a forest... actually, I'm liking the idea; get something different from the tropical juice that is most IPAs these days.

Last edited:
Back