Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hi,

After my first successful homebrew of the Coopers Lager kit, I decided to do another batch.

However even after 6 months in bottles my beer has just turned out very fizzy with no head whatsoever and a yeasty taste and has not got better over time at all.

I am very confused as to why as I followed the same instructions as before, the only difference is that instead of using 2 carbonation drops (for 750ml bottles) I used half a teaspoon of sugar (per 500ml bottle). After reading countless forums, half a teaspoon of sugar was said to be the appropriate amount.

In my first batch I actually put the sedement into the bottles (I didn't know) and it did not effect my beer much but with this batch I did not do that at all nor did I disturb the sedement.

Is my batch completely ruined or is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

The usual cause of fizzy beer that has no head is soap residue somewhere in your sysytem. It could be in your boil kettle, your fermenter, bottles, or most likely, your glassware you pour it into. If you put your glassware in a dishwasher that has an antispotting feature where it uses something like "Jet Dry" it will cause the beer to have no head. Hand wash your glasses and see if that helps. If not, you will need to look farther back in your system for the cause.

Back