Wyeast 1318 Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I used 1318 in a spiced Christmas beer (Gordon Strong's) and an oatmeal stout for St Patrick's Day. Both were a success, but I didn't save any yeast. Now the local stores are out of it. I've had yeast die during summer delivery so I don't want to order it online. I've read that people use Imperial A38 in NEIPAs in place of 1318. I can get that locally soon. Has anyone tried it in darker or sweeter ales? Or is there another substitute? I've also read S04 to replace 1318. What would you do?

A38 is just Imperials version of 1318. Same yeast.

So4 is nothing like 1318. 1968 or 002 would be a much better substitute. Imperial A09 is very similar if not the same 1968 or 002.

I'm not very solid, but I stopped ranching both 1318 and A38 because nobody could tell the difference between the five batches I split between them. Dropped the A38 and still ranch 1318...

Cheers!

While not a direct substitute I think S04 would be an excellent choice for either of those beers and saves you issue of dealing with liquid yeast n summer. Most of the comparisons I’ve seen between 1318 and S04 are in NEIPAs not stouts and winter warmers.

Latest posts

Back