Yeast Substitution for Wyeast 1450 Denny’s Favorite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrendelar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Y’all,

Want to pick your collective minds.

I need to brew a batch of my Imperial Porter in short order, issue is my LHS does not carry Wyeast so I can’t get my normal Denny’s Favorite. Living in the blazin south I’m not going to trust the delivery services to get me the yeast alive in this heat so I am looking for a substitute that will work reasonably well.

I looked at a few yeast comparison charts and a viable substitute is S-05, I have plenty of that on hand.

I also have S-04, Lutra, Nottingham

does anyone have experience in using any of these in such a large beer (9.3 ABV)

The LHS does carry White Labs so maybe there is something there.

Thanks in advance for your input.

The few times I've needed to or was looking for something that was comparable to what a recipe recommended, I went here to find out...

https://beermaverick.com/yeasts/yeast-substitutions-chart/
But I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other about how well it worked out.

Looks like for White Labs it's WLP051.
That’s the exact chart I looked at … and reading all of them not sure they will provide the malt fowardness of the denny

You cannot really go wrong with Nottingham in almost every "normal" type of ale. It is rather clean, attenuates reasonable well (us05 attenuates further) and it can let the malt shine and also the hops, depending on what the grist and hop schedule consists of. It would be my lonely Island yeast.

You cannot really go wrong with Nottingham in almost every "normal" type of ale. It is rather clean, attenuates reasonable well (us05 attenuates further) and it can let the malt shine and also the hops, depending on what the grist and hop schedule consists of. It would be my lonely Island yeast.
It’s a heavy grain bill and there is only 2 hop additions an oz at 60 and an oz at 15. And attenuation it what I’m looking for to drive the abv up so maybe 2 pack of eithe the nitty or the S-05 is the way to go.

Although I will say that using Lutra to get it fermented since there is a secondary process of oaking and and vanilla that I need to do is very tempting.

It’s a heavy grain bill and there is only 2 hop additions an oz at 60 and an oz at 15. And attenuation it what I’m looking for to drive the abv up so maybe 2 pack of eithe the nitty or the S-05 is the way to go.

Although I will say that using Lutra to get it fermented since there is a secondary process of oaking and and vanilla that I need to do is very tempting.
Lutra is a kveik and the resulting beer will taste like a kveik. It is a strong beer, so it could theoretically work well, but do not expect a normal ale type of beer, but a kveik. It tastes differently. Also lutra tastes like this, albeit it is the least extreme kveik available to my knowledge.

If you want a clean beer and attenuation, US05 is the yeast of choice.

Lutra is a kveik and the resulting beer will taste like a kveik. It is a strong beer, so it could theoretically work well, but do not expect a normal ale type of beer, but a kveik. It tastes differently. Also lutra tastes like this, albeit it is the least extreme kveik available to my knowledge.

If you want a clean beer and attenuation, US05 is the yeast of choice.
Well you definitely just answered my questions … Chico it is

Has anyone used any of these under pressure? In planning I won’t have a temperature regulated fermenter available. It’s currently fermenting the Festbier.

My 2 options are condition ambiently 70-72 or use my all rounder and pressure ferment same temps.

Has anyone used any of these under pressure? In planning I won’t have a temperature regulated fermenter available. It’s currently fermenting the Festbier.

My 2 options are condition ambiently 70-72 or use my all rounder and pressure ferment same temps.
Why would you need any pressure at 70-72 F? I ferment with all of these just fine at room temp. I dare say S-04 turned out even better for me at this temperature than when used cool.

Why would you need any pressure at 70-72 F? I ferment with all of these just fine at room temp. I dare say S-04 turned out even better for me at this temperature than when used cool.
I read a bunch of posts about off flavors with both north and S05 at temps above 63 so now I think I need to do something.

Maybe just over thinking the whole thing.

I read a bunch of posts about off flavors with both north and S05 at temps above 63 so now I think I need to do something.

Maybe just over thinking the whole thing.

US-05 does fine around 62-68F. Much higher and you can start getting some esters. It will ferment below 60, but it can throw some "peachy" flavors at those temps.

I do like US-05 as a workhorse, and use it a lot. Nottingham is also an excellent choice--ferments clean. S-04 is good for many British/Irish styles.

You won't find a replacement that will give the subtleties of Denny's, but US-05 or Notty will get you in the ballpark.

That’s the exact chart I looked at … and reading all of them not sure they will provide the malt fowardness of the denny
I've not used 1450 before to have a good comparison, but if you're looking for a clean, well-attenuating yeast that provides a malt-forwardness and you've got access to White Labs' offerings, I'd go with WLP090.

Back