Yeast Suggestion for this Red Ale Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landmissle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to take another shot at brewing a St Stan's Red Sky Ale clone recipe. I used Safale S-33 and had some trouble not reaching the stated OG of 1.057 ( I hit 1.051) and the FG of 1.013 ( I reached 1.018). The beer actually came out pretty good and taste very similar to the original recipe. The ABV was pretty weak though at around 4.3 %. I was hoping for more something like 5.5% Details of that batch were shared on under this thread entitled "Is this Stuck Fermentation?

So obviously, missing the numbers made an impact on the weakness of the ABV. I've read that S-33 is does not consume Maltotriose very well either, leaving some of this sugar behind.

So, my question comes down to this, is there another dry yeast you would recommend? I'm shying away from liquid yeast because I have no local homebrew stores and I've only used dry yeast so far. I'm comfortable rehydrating dry yeast though.

I was thinking Safale K-97 might be good. The recipe linked above recommends Wyeast WY2565 (among others) which based on this substitution chart seems like a viable option.

Any suggestions with regard to yeast selection or process change would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
stated OG of 1.57 ( I hit 1.051)
IMO, for a DME+steep recipe with somewhat vague ingredients, OG 51 looks good.

To get to OG 57, I had to assume 75% efficiency in the steep. With 35% efficiency, I get OG 52.

75% efficiency steep

1694645440461.png
35% efficiency steep

1694645456340.png

FWIW: all-grain kit recipe appears to be here: Red Sky Ale Clone (10B) - ALL GRAIN Recipe Kit

yeast selection [with DME/LME]
When brewing with DME/LME, I am not a fan of any dry strain that leaves lots of maltotriose behind. And OG 52 / FG 18 (65% AA) gets us close to the "dreaded OG 20" :eek:.

For a dry yeast strain, assuming this (link) description of Red Sky Ale is accurate, I would consider Nottingham or any of the "chico" dry stains.

IMO, for a DME+steep recipe with somewhat vague ingredients, OG 51 looks good.

To get to OG 57, I had to assume 75% efficiency in the steep. With 35% efficiency, I get OG 52.

75% efficiency steep

View attachment 829172
35% efficiency steep

View attachment 829173

I think the fact that it was 8lbs LME might change those calculations. I'm still learning (alot...), but I think lbs.-for-lbs. LME < DME. I'm not sure of the units to use, but believe DME is only 2% water (therefor 98% "extract") and LME is 20% water (and therefor 80% "extract").

So, in this case, the PPG for the extract would be less. A quick search "Google" told me that LME is about 35 PPG per lbs and DME is about 44 PPG

Question for you BrewWkopperKat. I trying to learn from you calculations above. I see you're multiplying DME x lbs x 44 to get GP for 5lbs of DME and 3lbs. of DME. From that you're getting 220 GP and 132 GP respectively. How are you deriving the DME subtotal? It's not just adding the 220 and 132 as that would be 352 not 246.

Last edited:
S-33 was the wrong yeast to use for this recipe. Looks like you shouldn't trust Austin Homebrew Supply's yeast recommendations because they are basically random. Each of their three yeast recommendations will give you three entirely different beers.

You'll be happier with US-05 or BRY-97, these have high attenuation.

For other yeast ideas including attenuation values...

YEAST MASTER Perma-Living by Yours Truly

And for a few tips on how to perhaps improve your extract recipes going forward:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4232/35033210393_4cf46b0063_o.png

I'm shying away from liquid yeast because I have no local homebrew stores and I've only used dry yeast so far.

What I have been doing is planning ahead. I order my used in the cool months, make a starter, decant, and set up a frozen stock. This way I have fresh liquid used whenever I want it it does require a little bit of planning on watch styles you want to make. The nice thing is also if there’s anyone else that brews in your area you guys can work together and swap yeast.

There is far more variety with liquid yeast and you can keep one $10 purchase going indefinitely for about $0.50 a use.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/maintaining-a-healthy-yeast-bank-long-term.678997/
I would not use s05 for any British beers they need some slight fruit esters.

Latest posts

Back