When & how to hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanInSydney

I don’t know what the f*ck I’m doing...
Reaction score
I’m new to brewing and have just finished my first batch of Original Bitter, which turned out a treat!

Next up is a Newcy Brown Ale, using liquid extract again. I want to try hopping this time and have some fuggles:

1. Should I dry hop or make a hop tea?
2. When should I add the hops?

Thanks! Dan

I'd dry hop. Give the beer 10 to 14 days in the fermenter to be sure fermentation is complete and the beer has started to clear. Add the hops and leave them another 5 to 7 days, then bottle after using your hydrometer to ensure that the beer is done fermenting.

Welcome to the art of experimental beers. You can make quite a few changes to the recipe and still come out with good beer to drink. Asking for advice first isn't a bad thing. Sometimes a radical change can make an interesting beer, sometimes not so much.

I would throw it in after a few days of fermentation, shortly before it finished, to make the ongoing fermentation push out the oxygen that I introduced when opening the fermenter. I wouldn't take a reading but bottle when it's done, usually after seven to ten days.

I would throw it in after a few days of fermentation, shortly before it finished, to make the ongoing fermentation push out the oxygen that I introduced when opening the fermenter. I wouldn't take a reading but bottle when it's done, usually after seven to ten days.

You've never had a fermentation stall, have you. Once will be plenty to find out what bottle bombs will do. I always do at least one reading before I bottle.

You've never had a fermentation stall, have you. Once will be plenty to find out what bottle bombs will do. I always do at least one reading before I bottle.
Of course, I always take a reading, when bottling. I was referring to this 1 or two day apart thing, sorry if this was unclear.

I'd dry hop. Give the beer 10 to 14 days in the fermenter to be sure fermentation is complete and the beer has started to clear. Add the hops and leave them another 5 to 7 days, then bottle after using your hydrometer to ensure that the beer is done fermenting.

Welcome to the art of experimental beers. You can make quite a few changes to the recipe and still come out with good beer to drink. Asking for advice first isn't a bad thing. Sometimes a radical change can make an interesting beer, sometimes not so much.

I’ve seen a lot online about racking my beer. Is this worthwhile? Seems to me the risk of oxidisation outweighs the benefits of a clearer drink...

If you do rack, would you typically add the hops in the primary fermenting vessel or secondary?

The only time you wanna transfer to secondary is when racking over fruit or storing a long period of time . When dry hopping just add to the fermenter then purge with co2 .

The only time you wanna transfer to secondary is when racking over fruit or storing a long period of time . When dry hopping just add to the fermenter then purge with co2 .
Gotcha. What do you mean by purge with co2? I thought you could just throw them in!!

Another option is a hop stand - say 20 minutes. Then there's no issue with introducing oxygen or hop creep. I think this is a good idea for a new brewer.

Purging with CO@ might get you a longer lasting hop aroma. You could add a little sugar so the yeast become active again and produce the CO2 or you could just open the fermenter just far enough to drop the hops in and then close it up again. CO2 doesn't instantly escape when you open the lid.

Purging with CO@ might get you a longer lasting hop aroma. You could add a little sugar so the yeast become active again and produce the CO2 or you could just open the fermenter just far enough to drop the hops in and then close it up again. CO2 doesn't instantly escape when you open the lid.

Before I got a co2 tank this is what I did. I never added sugar though. Never had an issue with oxidation except 1 time. 5 # tank and regulator are beneficial. You can find used ones for pretty cheap.

What I’ve thought about doing but not sure how well it would work depending on the situation is this. Put the hops in a sanitized bag/sock and add a piece of coated steel (so no metal flavors) to the bag, have a magnet on the outside of your fermenter. When it is time to dry hop, remove the magnet. No reason to open it. I have not tried this yet, but one of the many things I’m working on to minimize oxygen. The only concern I have is if the Krausen gets to crazy and foams up too much during the initial fermentation and gets into the bag. I wouldn’t want the hops to be prematurely wet or have the possibility of turning. Does anyone have an idea if this would affect the dry hopping? If the foam never reaches it, I don’t think it will be an issue at all.

I have a little magnetic scrubber I use to clean the hard to get to spots on a carboy, it’s primarily used to clean fish tanks. I plan to use that.

It depends on when you dry hop. I dry hop about 5 days before I keg. I leave my beer in the FV for 3 weeks . Not sure what the negative effects would be of having the hops sitting around that long. I keep them vacuum sealed and in the freezer right until I use them.

Back