Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakeating

Reaction score
This is my first batch ever. I used a storebought, pasteurized, 100 percent juice with a wild yeast starter I made from storebought apple juice and organic berries. A few days into fermentation I noticed stuff growing on top that smelled like yeast. What is it? My cider doesn't smell bad, it just smells like yeasty alcohol. No vinegar smell. Is it just extra yeast rising to the top?

Attachments

• IMG_7577.jpeg
    IMG_7577.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Hard to say. First impression is that it looks yeasty, which would be good. Are the darker spots hairy or fuzzy at all? If it looks at all like mold, Id be pretty cautious.

with a wild yeast starter I made from storebought apple juice and organic berries.
^ that is what’s “wrong” with it. Whatever was on those berries is having a blast with your juice.

Might taste good, might be unpalatable, likely somewhere in between.

Most people inoculate they’re must/juice/wort with a know yeast strain to have more control over fermentation. When you leave it up to Mother Nature, unpredictable things can happen.

Back