What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait you are missing out on 65 cent chicken thighs:)
The dark meat in pork has best flavor. Same for chicken.

Yeah, the downside to eliminating chicken is primarily felt in the pocketbook. But pork is at least a lot less expensive than beef.

I could add flavor and reduce cost using something like pork shoulder. But I think it would be nearly impossible to achieve the level of tenderness needed in a fried application unless I did something like pre-cook the pork sous vide to get it tender, and that's too much work for the potential savings.

A few summers ago I went to visit my aunt and uncle in Valdez. After a very exciting day of fishing, my uncle canned up all the pink salmon and sent me home about a dozen jars. FYI, I do NOT recommend taking canned salmon through TSA! Anyway, all this salmon talk inspired me to dig out a jar for salmon patties.
IMG_4589.JPG

Our salmon from the place recommended by @FrostyBeach arrived today - I defrosted two of the steaks and we had them for dinner. They were really delicious! We got into the plates so fast I forgot to take a picture but they're nice steaks, these were about 11 and 12 ounces before cooking, an a good inch thick. Just the way I like them. So thanks for the recommendation, FB! I have six more in the freezer. We'll really enjoy them over the next few weeks.

May try some of their halibut next time, black cod, and dry pack scallops. MMMMM.

Our salmon from the place recommended by @FrostyBeach arrived today - I defrosted two of the steaks and we had them for dinner. They were really delicious! We got into the plates so fast I forgot to take a picture but they're nice steaks, these were about 11 and 12 ounces before cooking, an a good inch thick. Just the way I like them. So thanks for the recommendation, FB! I have six more in the freezer. We'll really enjoy them over the next few weeks.

May try some of their halibut next time, black cod, and dry pack scallops. MMMMM.

Sablefish, as I say, is yummy!!

Worth $40/lb delicious?

Good looking stuff but that's almost 3x what i paid for the stuff i had last week...

Worth $40/lb delicious?

Good looking stuff but that's almost 3x what i paid for the stuff i had last week...

I paid $29/lb for the steaks. I look at it this way - if I went OUT and bought a King salmon dinner, it would easily cost me that much, AND it would probably be a 6 ounce piece. This is an entire pound of delicious fish for $29. We cannot get it locally here; only the farm-raised stuff at Costco or the grocery stores. At least I know this was processed at the peak of freshness, vacuum-sealed and frozen aboard the ship, and when I got it, it was still frozen solid. Bonus points for the four nice ice packs that DH immediately commandeered for his little cooler when he goes on Jeep Jaunts on the forest trails around here. AND they overnight it free if you buy 8 or more pounds. So, yeah, sounds pricey but overall I'm happy with it and feel it's good healthy stuff, wild and line-caught. Winner winner salmon dinner!

You make a great point. Going out is so expensive. Reminds me of a story. Yes another applescrap story. The thousand dollar bag of chicken.

We all know my life changed over a steak discussion on this very thread involving many of us in this discussion. Well I realized we had a thousand dollar bag of chicken. See this bag of frozen kroger chicken breasts cost us a thousand dollars. A staple of my childhood, it had been a staple of my adult life. The big bag of cheap breasts. Heres how it played out. What do you want for dinner? We have that chicken breast! I dont want that lets go out to dinner.

Every time that bag of chicken came up, we went to dinner, I figured it cost me over a thousand dollars that bag of chicken. Now we buy stuff like redbird and its amazing how little we want to go out. I cut it in half dip in egg and real panko bread crumbs not the generic knock off and we love chicken night.

Well back to the salmon I didnt see that or the burgers. I didnt make it past the 70 a pound salmon. I am totally down for some of those salmon burgers. Maybe Ill splash out on some of the steaks someday, but I would way rather eat fillet. Need to eat more fish though.
I paid $29/lb for the steaks. I look at it this way - if I went OUT and bought a King salmon dinner, it would easily cost me that much, AND it would probably be a 6 ounce piece. This is an entire pound of delicious fish for $29. We cannot get it locally here; only the farm-raised stuff at Costco or the grocery stores. At least I know this was processed at the peak of freshness, vacuum-sealed and frozen aboard the ship, and when I got it, it was still frozen solid. Bonus points for the four nice ice packs that DH immediately commandeered for his little cooler when he goes on Jeep Jaunts on the forest trails around here. AND they overnight it free if you buy 8 or more pounds. So, yeah, sounds pricey but overall I'm happy with it and feel it's good healthy stuff, wild and line-caught. Winner winner salmon dinner!

Serious Eats Food Lab's Southern Fried Chicken underway. Bird is cut up and in the marinade! After the chicken I fried for the Chicken and Sausage Gumbo I figured what the hell, I'll fry some chicken!
Southern Fried Chicken Marinade 3.14.2020.jpg

I paid $29/lb for the steaks. I look at it this way - if I went OUT and bought a King salmon dinner, it would easily cost me that much, AND it would probably be a 6 ounce piece.

AND it would probably be farmed raised Altantic Salmon and not wild Chinook, as restaurants are famous for mislabeling fish (either unintentionally or on purpose).

Inspired by the restaurant hu hot. Fried noodle bowl, not sure what to call it. Barilla spaghetti cooked and then I put toppings out. Sauce is built pretty much with all I have on hand. So noodles, frozen diced pecan smoked ham, frozen diced cherry hickory brisket, popcorn shrimp (turned out great) and some frozen veg. Start with small amount of noodles and the kids love to pick their own toppings. Then I squirt it with evoo, salt it, splash of soy sauce, this gourmet firecracker sauce I got for x mas, a sprinkle of sugar, and splash of lemon. Then fry in skillet. It was really good.
Screenshot_20200314-200828_Gallery.jpeg
20200314_181250.jpeg
20200314_184729.jpeg

I haven’t cooked much at home that’s been note worthy the past couple weeks. Hubby and I had Popeyes chicken last night after hitting a few breweries, one for St Paddy’s day party. Their chicken sandwich IS really good.

So brunch today I cooked a red pepper and mozzarella omelet with garlic Parmesan bacon. I was pretty sure that bacon of the month was going to stick and cause a mess in my pan so I cooked it in the oven on parchment paper.
FA2BC23E-4567-48AA-B11D-5462655C2D0B.jpeg

Mmm! Mouth watering. I may miss out this year. Didn't brine a brisket, since I was planning to go out for Paddy's, but Governor ordered all restaurants and bars closed by 9 PM tonight.

Joining you from Cleveland. Ugh. Same here. Will still support a good local business and get a good corned beef take out somewhere. Not sure where yet.

I was pretty sure that bacon of the month was going to stick and cause a mess in my pan so I cooked it in the oven on parchment paper.

This caught my eye because when I made my own bacon, it was a royal pain to fry. I figured it was because it was so lean, but maybe it had more to do with my process...

This caught my eye because when I made my own bacon, it was a royal pain to fry. I figured it was because it was so lean, but maybe it had more to do with my process...
Some of the selections have had fruit or sugar, on them, this one cheese. The oven take longer and I put the bacon in before it is fully heated so the fat will render. I’d use a rack, but I think it would be a PITA to wash and get all the grease off of it.

Hoarders took all the pinto beans, rice, flour and pork so instead of eating like a peasant crossing the great plains or a homesteader ........I puchased and grilled up some bastardized Santa Maria tri tip, pan seared Prosciutto wrapped scallops and some garlic, cayenne green beans w a splash of lemon. I pulled the meat at 145F using my trusty inkbird and the app. Was medium as expected but think I’ll pull it a touch earlier and rest longer, and marinate a few hours longer. Was mighty fine though. Mighty fine indeed. Want to repeat soon.

60601347238__C5177258-BAD9-4452-A8BC-560F00CD2759.JPG

60601369009__FA8A54AA-5C12-4BE1-A0CB-9522006C4725.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

Last edited:
Hoarders took all the pinto beans, rice, flour and pork so instead of eating like a peasant crossing the great plains or a homesteader ........I puchased and grilled up some bastardized Santa Maria tri tip, pan seared Prosciutto wrapped scallops and some garlic, lemon, cayenne green beans w a splash of lemon. I pulled the meat at 145F using my trusty inkbird and the app. Was medium as expected but think I’ll pull it a touch earlier and rest linger, and marinate a few hours longer. Was mighty fine though. Mighty fine indeed. Want to repeat soon.

That's just fantastic!! Very nicely done!

Fried chicken turned out amazing, but it still is a pain in the butt to fix, so I think I will stick with Popeye's from here on our except for wings. Great flavor though. We ate a ton of it last night.
View attachment 671033 View attachment 671034 View attachment 671035

That's a great homemade food, I make that every couple of months or so. To take the pain-in-the-butt aspect away, check into sous-vide cooking. You've probably got a method of holding a water bath at 150F already. I sous-vide the breasts for 1 hour and the dark meat for 2.5 hours (I think it was about 150F, but don't have the recipe with me), then cool them down and do the buttermilk soak and then the spice and flour. You only have to fry them to cook the coating and you are always sure that no matter what you do, the chicken is already cooked - and very moist.

Back