What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great homemade food, I make that every couple of months or so. To take the pain-in-the-butt aspect away, check into sous-vide cooking. You've probably got a method of holding a water bath at 150F already. I sous-vide the breasts for 1 hour and the dark meat for 2.5 hours (I think it was about 150F, but don't have the recipe with me), then cool them down and do the buttermilk soak and then the spice and flour. You only have to fry them to cook the coating and you are always sure that no matter what you do, the chicken is already cooked - and very moist.

Great approach. Man Im hungry now.

Invisible French toast in bed
IMG_20200315_091229.jpg

Bacon wrapped doggies for lunch
IMG_20200315_124622.jpg

My contribution to the ribs (I made some homemade wedges)
IMG_20200315_194521.jpg

Doing red beans tonight with Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojo beans. These are the prettiest red beans I have ever seen and they are delicious just boiled, which I had to do for prep since I did not soak. Not my standard Cajun recipe either, but one off of Rancho Gordo’s site. You gotta admit these are pretty though! Lol. Second picture is after Sauté, etc. right before I added liquid for the final 2 hour simmer.
IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

Mayocoba beans (soaked overnight)
About 3-4 cups pork neck bone stock
Around 2 tbs of my mild homemade bean seasoning
Couple smallish yellow onions
Some celery and red bell flakes....outta fresh and the markets are a zoo
Around 3 links of chorizo seca (sliced and browned)
Couple nice pieces of smoked neck bones (cooked till the meat all fell off the bones)
2cbkC5u.jpg

Suppose it's nothing something I really look for unless you mean the stuff wrapped in a plastic tube of paper?

No, that that stuff. It's packaged just like fresh ground hamburger in grocery stores. I see it around here in the meat section next to the sausage links, but not always. It's kind of hit or miss. I sometimes will brown it, breaking it up while it cooks, and use it in homemade lasagna.

When we lived in NY a local meat/deli shop made their own Italian sausage, and always had it in bulk in addition to links. It was sooo good. Can't find anything close to it out here.

You've never seen bulk Italian sausage in stores? No casing, just form into patties and grill them. Serve on a toasted bun. Top with sauteed green peppers and onions. Delicious.
We use the bulk stuff to mix with ground beef for a very tasty lasagna. Out here in the desert the only brand we have is Johnsonville. Probably not as good as what you can get in an area with a high Italian American population but it works.

View attachment 672219

I tried making my own white bread for the first time last night. I’m not sure if it looks right but it tastes pretty good!
That is a good start, it rose and tasty good. Brushing the tops with melted butter, or milk, or beaten egg will give the crust more color if that’s important to you.

8D4E8F0A-46ED-4E01-9F54-06FC349DF7BF.jpeg

Brunch today. Caramel bananas with a dash of pie spice over French toast, and breakfast links.

I went to the butcher shop in town, yesterday which like to do when I want good ground chuck for hamburgers. Of course, he is much more expensive than the supermarket, but he had everything he normally has, and I spent $80, which I normally don’t.

I went to the butcher shop in town, yesterday which like to do when I want good ground chuck for hamburgers. Of course, he is much more expensive than the supermarket, but he had everything he normally has, and I spent $80, which I normally don’t.
I have an excellent butcher I normally only go to for his charcuterie. I'm about out of bacon, so I'll probably end up paying attention to everything else there this week. I also go to an organic market for just a couple of specific items, and I noticed they were pretty well stocked on most things. I guess I could start paying more for food to eat at home and still save money since I'm not eating out.

OT No pic, but I made a favorite vegetarian meal, orecchiette with chick peas and broccoli. Olive oil, garlic, chilli flakes, nutmeg, s & p, finished with pecorino. I usually like to have some halved grape tomatoes or roasted red peppers in it if only for color, but didn't have any on hand.

:yes: Nice!! Support local small business.

Back