What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saffron, Scallop and Lemon Risotto

f26dc4a21a3d825dcbbacfd069033dc5.jpg

Wow - is that a huge pile of saffron?

ETA: whoops. I now see that is lemon[emoji51]

My take on Neua Naam Tok (Thai "waterfall beef").

Skirt steak marinated in soy, pepper, and fresh lemon grass; "grilled" on the oven broiler pan.

Mixed with a simple sauce of lime juice, fish sauce, beef stock, and sambal; and tossed with plenty of shallots, thinly sliced lemon grass, cilantro, and mint. Sprinkled with toasted rice powder.

Pretty simple, yet delicious, dish with not many tools needed (knife, cutting board, broiler pan, ziplock for marinating, saucepan for rice).

20160627_192610-1.jpg

The Mexican pork thing I posted yesterday, I will post the recipe here when I get a chance. I have probably done 30-50 Mexican braised pork for tacos recipes over the years. This recipe blew away anything I have ever done along those lines. Part of that flavor is the 2 ounces of Achiote paste required, but it is a lot of what made it so awesome. IMO, anybody that loves Mexican braised meats really needs to give this recipe a try!!

I'm also sure many of you are just dying to see how my way off topic new base for the Chili's table is going (probably not but I'm posting it here anyway! Lol). I'm done painting it. I think it's going to look cool on my patio!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467084735.694748.jpg
Sorry to be wasting food bandwidth, but you will soon be seeing food pictures taken on this table! Lol

@applescrap, that is so cute! We would call that an "earthquake cake" around here. It looks delicious!

I took a nice hunk of London broil and hit it good with the Jaccard tenderizer, then sprinkled liberally with garlic salt, freshly-ground pepper, and some New Mexico red chile powder, then vacuum-sealed and refrigerated overnight. Put it in the sous vide this morning at 8 am at 122* and there is languished until 5:30 tonight, when KOTC had the oak coals perfect for searing it. He put some good sprigs of rosemary right on the coals, then put down the rack and the meat on top of the rosemary. Had some baby asparagus in the veggie rack, it was tossed with Kalamata olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt. Seared the meat 4 minutes each side while I shook the asparagus around, then let the meat stand loosely tented with foil for 5 minutes while I tossed the asparagus with a little balsamic vinegar and then sprinkled with freshly-ground Parm/Reggiano cheese. Sliced the meat on the diagonal into thin slices. It was SO tender and so good! Will do that again any time. Loved the 'grass too. No pics, so it didn't really happen, but boy my memory of it will suffice for a long time!

Pan seared cod, red potato salad, cucumber salad, dill, and fried capers.

All courtesy of Blue Apron....they had a deal for 1/2 off the first box, so I bought it and then cancelled. Not too bad to get everything you need for six servings of stuff like this for ~$29.99.

That's where my spicy turkey meatballs four posts above came from. I've gotten about 5 boxes now and about 3 from Plated. Blue Apron is much better in my opinion and costs less.

This one was good, too. Pan fried chicken, sweet potato wedges, and kale salad. I like how they give ya most everything you need, so you don't have to buy a whole bottle of white wine vinegar (for example) when you're traveling. Still, without the discount I got for the first box, it's probably cheaper in the long run to buy the bottle of vinegar and toss it when you end travel....

EDIT: things weren't as burnt as they look in the picture...

20160629_200402-1.jpg

^^hey, you're cheating :). No it looks good and fresh. Good idea for traveling, but pricey.

@lakeside nice steak and like chimney usage. Thats a real fred flinstone cut, awesome

No but those look really good and will make a killer bloody mary (are they hot, looks like peppers in there). In my stocking a couple years ago my mother-in-law gave me these pickled hot green beans. Had a lot of cool uses.

No but those look really good and will make a killer bloody mary (are they hot, looks like peppers in there). In my stocking a couple years ago my mother-in-law gave me these pickled hot green beans. Had a lot of cool uses.

My neighbor across the street told me the same thing tonight: that they'd be good for some sort of drink. I'm not much of a drinker :) But seriously, I just do a bit of beer and wine.

We'll see. If they are not good on their own, I'll work them into a salad.

My neighbor across the street told me the same thing tonight: that they'd be good for some sort of drink. I'm not much of a drinker :) But seriously, I just do a bit of beer and wine.

We'll see. If they are not good on their own, I'll work them into a salad.

Looks like a good addition to a lot of things - tacos, lettuce wraps, falafel wraps... anything that has something pickled in it usually.

I pack filleted fish in one gallon freezer bags of water. Lay on sheet pan in freezer till frozen, then stack like shingles on freezer shelf. 2lbs each stays fresh a long time in ice.

I barbecued some Hungarian & garlic sausages, with macaroni & potato salad & corn on the cob. Of course, brown mustard on the sausages. With Italian mineral water, ice cold. Getting hooked on that stuff.

I mixed dried blueberries with unsalted mixed nuts, then 1/4C into snack-size Ziploc bags to have for lunch with fresh fruit. Lost 40lbs so far, & need to loose more. Those dried blueberries flavor reminded me of my American Indian blueberry pudding I make for the holidays.

Back