What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the Kitchenaid out and made these pillows of yummyness. Recipe from my bud Kaiser Souze. (love that movie) Couldn't make up my mind on sauce so I said both. Almost as good an idea as making the ravioli. No wine but goes good with Yooper house pale. Everything goes good with that recipe. Got a batch fermenting with all Amarillo. :off: Ya back to food... Stuffed with grilled Italian sausage reran thru meat grinder with spinach and ricotta, crumbs n egg

IMG_5201.jpg

I was thinking blue rock candy, but the aluminum pan threw me. Kinda close. Trying to laugh, not working so far.

Only seen the first few episodes of Breaking Bad (at least the one where the acid melted the tub and went through the ceiling).

It's rock candy!

Simple cooking last minute for the kids lunch. Used pressure cooker to sear ground beef, then added what you see cause thats what had on hand. 15 minutes later soup like it cooked all day. Potatos super soft.

Side note; When just cooking potatoes, i cut them in thirds right over the pressure cooker and in 10 minutes they're soft enough to mash or break up and put in breakfast burritos, whatever. I almost never cut potatoes anymore. Then made grilled cheese with Organic mild aged cheddar. The kids stuffed their face. Finished up lunch with the chocolate, chocolate chip cookies we made.

View attachment 1466722674783.jpg

View attachment 1466722685127.jpg

View attachment 1466722699602.jpg

Pie in a bag, Strawberry Rhubarb. Local strawberries are in, but not for long. I already have a cake on hand, and we're probably going out this weekend. So I partially cooked the filling, now I'll freeze it for another day.

5 pound pork butt, cooked 1 hour 20 minutes in pressure cooker. One of best ever had. Rubbed with salt and pepper, cut in half, seared in canola oil one half a time, (they sear incase you didn't know) and then put upright in pot. 2 cups water, 2 boulion cubes, and lathered with a little bbq. 80 minutes later could shred with plastic fork. I think 1 cup liquid would have been fine. There was lots of liquid extra. It was really good.

View attachment 1466905940065.jpg

View attachment 1466905954362.jpg

Since the kitchen in my extended stay hotel is so limited, I've been focusing on what I can make with limited techniques / equipment, and capitalizing on fresh ingredients.

Pho! Using the broth cubes and other ingredients, it as cheap, simple, and delicious.

Nice work, curious to see what else you come up with. We stayed in a place that only had an electric Square skillet for a week over Christmas. I started contemplating putting a turkey in it. If you can get your hands on one of those at walmart for 20$ you're pretty set with what you have already. One of those sandwich makers to travel with would be pretty sweet too. You could have a sandwich going on one side and cake and cookies going on the other. They work fantastically well because the heat comes from the top and bottom. Well looking forward to seeing what you can come up with

After some trial-and-error, I discovered how to perfectly grill broccoli on a Weber kettle:

Take a sheet of heavy-duty foil about a foot long and fold over a corner so the folded corner kind of follows the curve of the kettle and put it over indirect heat. Toss florets in olive oil with some Kosher salt and garlic and just spread them out on the foil. It takes about 30 minutes and, in that time, they can dry out and get crusty. So after 15 or so minutes, after they've had plenty of time to soak up the smoke and get a little browned, then just fold the foil over and seal it up to basically steam the rest of the way.

I suppose it would work find the other way around too, but unfolding hot foil sounds harder than just quickly folding it up.

Almost out of beer, but luckily I got by a big store in Dallas yesterday and picked up Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda Rum and Gosling's Ginger Beer. So I was able to make a registered trademark Dark 'N Stormy. Pretty sure I just found a summer drink that surpasses gin and tonics!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466981537.490544.jpg
And the pork has been braising long enough that it is starting to fall apart so this is almost done and smells just amazing!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1466981643.788188.jpg

That pork looks super good. I'm impressed by the dark and stormy. One of my father-in-law's favorite drinks. He's the only one I know of besides you that has ever even brought them up. Did you use bitters? anyways great looking meal as usual

That pork looks super good. I'm impressed by the dark and stormy. One of my father-in-law's favorite drinks. He's the only one I know of besides you that has ever even brought them up. Did you use bitters? anyways great looking meal as usual

No bitters. Just Gosling Black and Gosling Ginger beer and a twist of lime per the Gosling web site. What an awesome drink though! Really surprised me how good it is! And dead simple to make.

That's a pretty nifty bread knife. Brand?

Oh, bread looks divine BTW. I wish I could bake more, but my carb-conscious wife wouldn't touch it (except banana bread).

Thanks for the feedback on the bread. The knife is from Gunter Wilhelm a really good set from Costco. Full tang well balanced and extremely sharp when new. A pleasure to use. They were a house warming gift from my brother. Before I had been using an inexpensive, but decent set from Henkels (sp?) man, what a difference!

Almost out of beer, but luckily I got by a big store in Dallas yesterday and picked up Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda Rum and Gosling's Ginger Beer. So I was able to make a registered trademark Dark 'N Stormy. Pretty sure I just found a summer drink that surpasses gin and tonics!
View attachment 359951
And the pork has been braising long enough that it is starting to fall apart so this is almost done and smells just amazing!!
View attachment 359952

Love a Dark and stormy! Sometimes people put a little squeeze of lime, but that's not how they do it in Bermy.

I tried a shrimp boil in a bag ... er, in a foil pack. Shrimp, andouille, chunks of sweet corn on the cob and potatoes divided up into individual portions and wrapped up in foil packs with a little olive oil and Old Bay seasoning. Grill for 15 minutes and it's done. Super easy and tasty, and this is sure to be a good way to cook for a crowd.

Back