What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
passedpawn said:
I'm an idiot. As soon as I typed that I smacked myself. Why am I grilling the chicken for chicken riccata ( I make it in a frypan normally!). Must be on autopilot. Der.

Lol!

Found my favorite fajita spice from when I was a kid and made flank steak fajitas for the wife and I, and portobello mushroom fajitas for her friend who was visiting. The leftovers made great breakfast burritos. Nothing like ordering 6 cans of spice (stocking stuffers) because you don't want to pay shipping.

After tasting the veggie version I realized that my old recipe used the fajita magic as a rub, and I liberally seasoned with other spices after. Guess I'll have to make them again! :mug:

I'm an idiot. As soon as I typed that I smacked myself. Why am I grilling the chicken for chicken riccata ( I make it in a frypan normally!). Must be on autopilot. Der.

How'd it come out? dDid you finish cooking the chicken on the grill and make the sauce or did you transfer it to the pan and proceed from there?
I think would have run with the first option and made a hybrid.
I made a big pot of lentil soup and country style pork ribs served over polenta with a side of red swiss chard.
Comfort food on a cold night. Sorry no pictures:D

How'd it come out? dDid you finish cooking the chicken on the grill and make the sauce or did you transfer it to the pan and proceed from there?
I think would have run with the first option and made a hybrid.
I made a big pot of lentil soup and country style pork ribs served over polenta with a side of red swiss chard.
Comfort food on a cold night. Sorry no pictures:D

Hybrid. Turned out fine.

about to put my first home made lasagna in the oven, now I know why everyone buys stouffers!

2013-11-25 18.32.38.jpg

I'm not suggesting that your first will be that much better( think sex) but with practice playing with your ingredients you end up with food you just can't buy. Use the same thought in brewing. Recipes are a guideline, I try to make them my own. Although I do have an issue replicating.:mug:

ChefRex said:
I'm not suggesting that your first will be that much better( think sex) but with practice playing with your ingredients you end up with food you just can't buy. Use the same thought in brewing. Recipes are a guideline, I try to make them my own. Although I do have an issue replicating.:mug:

Ok so now I'm thinking sex and it all applies!
Oops perhaps I shouldn't drunk post, eh?

about to put my first home made lasagna in the oven, now I know why everyone buys stouffers!

If you like seafood and shellfish, i make a seafood lasagna that my family really loves! I'll have to remember the recipe and get it posted. I really should write them down to pass them on to my children and friends, like my mother and grandmother, most everything I do is from memory and at my age it's like the second or third thing to go.

If you like seafood and shellfish, i make a seafood lasagna that my family really loves! I'll have to remember the recipe and get it posted. I really should write them down to pass them on to my children and friends, like my mother and grandmother, most everything I do is from memory and at my age it's like the second or third thing to go.

damn that sounds good

I'm attempting a seafood cheesecake type creation this weekend... anyone have any nuggets of wisdom? So far i have the following built up in my head...

Ritz crust (made with butter, ritz crackers and Parmesan)

for the filling (where I need any tweaks):
lobster, scallops, shrimp, and smoked salmon
gruyere cheese
cream cheese
eggs
splash of sherry
sauteed shallots
garlic
lemon zest

Am I missing something?

I'm attempting a seafood cheesecake type creation this weekend... anyone have any nuggets of wisdom? So far i have the following built up in my head...

gruyere cheese
cream cheese
eggs
splash of sherry
sauteed shallots
garlic
lemon zest

Am I missing something?

IDK who sherry is but I dont think she deserves to be made into a cheesecake :D

gruyere cheese
cream cheese
eggs
splash of sherry
sauteed shallots
garlic
lemon zest

Am I missing something?

How about a mushroom of some sort, even sliced criminis that have been sauteed in butter or a little bit of bacon grease, not too much grease, don't want to overpower the seafood.

How about a mushroom of some sort, even sliced criminis that have been sauteed in butter or a little bit of bacon grease, not too much grease, don't want to overpower the seafood.

I am mushroom phobic. Nothing crafted in my kitchen will ever use them. Not that there's anything wrong with them... They're just not my thing.

mmmmm bacon grease.

That's good to know. We arevery much mushroom people and do a lot of foraging for them throughout the year.

Can't go wrong with bacon or bacon grease for so many things!

I do like your recipe, thanks for sharing it.

I am mushroom phobic. Nothing crafted in my kitchen will ever use them. Not that there's anything wrong with them... They're just not my thing.
Come on now...There I nothing like a large portobello mushroom brushed with EEVO, stuffed with fresh spinach, pico de gallo, covered in grated parmesan or mozzarella and grilled to perfection. ;)

Come on now...There I nothing like a large portobello mushroom brushed with EEVO, stuffed with fresh spinach, pico de gallo, covered in grated parmesan or mozzarella and grilled to perfection. ;)

Nope. Not for this girl. I'm all about the meat... and put that fungus away.

Nope. Not for this girl. I'm all about the meat... and put that fungus away.

I do love my steak, but also usually throw a couple fungus caps on the grill also. You don't know what you are missing. Grilled portobello is very close to the texture of meat.

NTXBrauer said:
I understand..there are a few foods out there I just cannot get into, no matter how bad I would like to enjoy them.
The only thing I have tried to like and can't is a raw onion. I love them any other way but raw they are my kryptonite.

That sounds like fun!

I have no idea what that means either, but it's kind of turning me on!

I made 2 apple pies last night and a BIG pot of Pasta Fagiole (or whatever). It's the chili-like soup they serve at Olive Garden.

I got two more pies to make today before Tday. One apple and one pumpkin.

Just baked my pumpkin pies this morning, made the cranberry relish and am toasting bread for croutons to go with the homemade southern cornbread the MIL is bringing for stuffing. My hunger is already growing! :)

I have no idea what that means either, but it's kind of turning me on!

I made 2 apple pies last night and a BIG pot of Pasta Fagiole (or whatever). It's the chili-like soup they serve at Olive Garden.

I got two more pies to make today before Tday. One apple and one pumpkin.
Fancy word for butterflying, remove the backbone and flatten it out

That's a bad thing how?

It's not. Just commenting. I expected the wife to be against it, just because we have so much to do before we leave (Well, they are leaving tonight right after work, while I get to stay home, ALONE, and take care of the dogs. I'll be heading down tomorrow just for the day...)

But she was all for it because if we don't, there won't be any leftovers.

Turkey makes a great low-carb snack too. I like mine with a bit of mustard and mayo. Dipping sauce.

Back