What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could care less about turkey on Thanksgiving. But I usethe leftover white meat to make turkey laab or boiling the carcass forstock and make turkey&dumplings. Wife and I always get the dark meat too because of the weird dark meat stigma.

Trial run for December dinner party:
Wild rice stuffed cornish game hen. Still working on the other courses. Trying the same thing next week but SV the hens then crisp in the oven.
Resized_20191124_194503_307873689280257.jpeg
20191124_202633.jpg

+1 to what Mike said about keeping the cabbage under the brine. Still taking a peek once in a while and removing anything resembling mold is a good practice. Was it in a warmish area? My last batch was in the crock about 8 weeks, not because it took so long, but that’s how long it was until I had the time to jar it up. Too much salt will slow or inhibit the fermentation too... I suppose you know that already.
When it was started, it was 100F+ so my house was running in the 80's. The last several weeks it's cooled way off so the house is 55-68F. It is probably over-salted as the recipe I used was very vague about the amount of salt - I think it said 1-3Tbps per cabbage and I went for the middle, 4 Tbsp for 2 cabbage.

My SIL and I have a friendly competition every Thanksgiving. She always "deep-pits" hers, then shreds with margarine. I always brine, roast and slice mine. Last year I smoked mine and thought it was the best bird yet. This year I am going to try a 3-day dry brine then smoke. Mine is always better but not everyone agrees...

I just realized I was going to try the baking soda trick this year, but I forgot :smh:

Made an early Thanksgiving Dinner for my mom while she was in town. Main course was duck roulade, creamed sweet white corn, and morel mushroom sauce. We also had Sacher torte which was a trial run for another Thanksgiving I am attending (Second one came out much better). And the bread was a slight sourdough sweetened a bit with honey and had roasted nuts and pumpkin seed.

dfsZQKt.jpg

Made an early Thanksgiving Dinner for my mom while she was in town. Main course was duck roulade, creamed sweet white corn, and morel mushroom sauce. We also had Sacher torte which was a trial run for another Thanksgiving I am attending (Second one came out much better). And the bread was a slight sourdough sweetened a bit with honey and had roasted nuts and pumpkin seed.

dfsZQKt.jpg
That bread is just outstanding!! Very nicely done!

Back