What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Hoppy2bmerry That is jumping out of the screen. Wow, that looks tasty.

I am not sure what a crash hot is. But my mil takes little potatoes that are boiled, baked, not sure and smashes them into these crushed rings and frys them. They are good. I throw them in the air fryer with a ton of evoo and salt on them. Not the same, but super easy.

Last night cooked a chuck fork tender in 30 minutes. Turned on pressure cooker and warmed it. Seared the chuck real well in oil and then added onion, little potatoes, water, bouillon cubes, salt, and a gourmet butcher spice mix. 30 mintutes later on plate to hungry kids. Would rather smoke the chuck but wow what a quick delight. Only pic I have.

Wish I had a proper bean pot to bake them in. Low and slow all day.

20191113_173945.jpeg

So in the last week I have become pretty hooked on the crash hots. But sometimes you can't beat good old smashed redskins as a vehicle for extra sauce. Always love my go-to, sauteed pork cutlet. No beer involved tonight, Pils on tap, way too bitter for cooking.
20191116_165942.jpg

Didn't cook but sous vide my favorite eggnog recipe by far. Got the base of this recipe from The Confectionalism site which has closed. Doubled the batch.

I add a little more nutmeg and about an extra half cup of bourbon :) There's two bottles of Bulleit in the pic. Believe me with the Amerretto it is smooth.

Got great eggs from my favorite farmer and this year tried raw milk and heavy cream from a new dairy farmer. Visited the Pensey spice shop for the first time which was incredible and the prices great.

Every year I say I'm going to make this in the spring when the milk is incredible with fresh clover and fridge it til Xmas. I've had it after 6 months in the fridge and it just keeps getting better.

The Ultimate Sous Vide Eggnog

confectionalism.com

Dennis Walsh[https://cdn]

[https://cdn]

Ingredients

4 Large egg yolks, fresh

8 Large eggs, fresh

4 cups whole milk

2 cups heavy cream

1 vanilla bean or 1 Tablespoon Pure vanilla extract

1½ cups confectioners (powdered) sugar

pinch of salt

3 cinnamon sticks

6 whole cloves

½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus additional for garnish

alcoholic variation - 2 cups bourbon whiskey* and ¼ cup Amaretto

whip cream for garnish

IMG_20191117_171642.jpeg

Last edited:
@TheDudeLebowski that sounds pretty amazing. Thats a special drink to me, have to splash some out for the homies.

Made some cupcakes for party for mom and sister in law. Was going to make bronco orange and blue cupcakes for s.i.l. and bil who are huge bronco fans, but wife said no to blue frosting. Haha, she was right, so white with sprinkles and cookies too. Homemade buttercream with lemon extract. My sister made 4 quiches or so, some monkey bread, my home roasted decaf, a nice slice of brie and crackers, mimosas, a fruit salad, sausages I made in skillet, an overnight french toast casserole, and a peach pie with ice cream. I am still stuffed!
20191117_095726.jpeg
20191116_184630.jpeg
20191116_212449.jpeg
20191116_190545.jpeg

Homemade whipped cream and more shaved nutmeg on top? Can't go wrong. Even people that are apprehensive about the raw eggs like it. It's like a milkshake dessert.

Last edited:
Didn't cook but sous vide my favorite eggnog recipe by far. Got the base of this recipe from The Confectionalism site which has closed. Doubled the batch.

I add a little more nutmeg and about an extra half cup of bourbon :) There's two bottles of Bulleit in the pic. Believe me with the Amerretto it is smooth.

Got great eggs from my favorite farmer and this year tried raw milk and heavy cream from a new dairy farmer. Visited the Pensey spice shop for the first time which was incredible and the prices great.

Every year I say I'm going to make this in the spring when the milk is incredible with fresh clover and fridge it til Xmas. I've had it after 6 months in the fridge and it just keeps getting better.

confectionalism.com

Ingredients

4 Large egg yolks, fresh

8 Large eggs, fresh

4 cups whole milk

2 cups heavy cream

pinch of salt

3 cinnamon sticks

6 whole cloves

whip cream for garnish

View attachment 652974

Where are the instructions?

Where are the instructions?
It's pretty easy except the size of the blending. You may have to split up the batch to fit in the blender.

No matter the ingredients the instructions are the same. You put everything in the blender except the cinnamon sticks, booze and cloves. Also, scrape the vanilla bean into the blender. Save the skin to add later with the cinnamon sticks, booze and cloves as u pour it into a jar(s).

Sous vide for 1 hour at 144°. I put the jars in before I turn on the sous vide to gently bring it up to temp. I've scalded the milk before placing it directly into 144. Once it gets to 144 start the timer. You can let it run longer than an hour

I've also used just ziplock bags. I usually take the cinnamon and cloves out after the sous vide but this time I'm experimenting and keeping them in.

I usually use larger jars but here's what you see for instructions usually everywhere. This link has different ingredients tho. I really like my combo after several tests.

It really makes a difference if you let it sit in the fridge for at least a month. The longer the better. Trust me.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-eggnog

Last edited:
I have my first attempt at sauerkraut going. Is there any way to know when it is ready for the fridge except taste?
12 weeks in and there was something powdery and white covering the top. I scooped off the top inch and tried a bite and there is still no sourness at all - just salty - so I'm counting this as a failure. I'll give it another go the next time I see cabbage on sale...

This is my butternut squash soup simmering and pre-blender. The squash has broken down at this point but the apples and onions have not. I added pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg. The spices were a nice touch. I use heavy whipping cream at the end. I think adding celery stalks and carrot might be okay in medium to small amounts. The soup is not my cup of tea but my wife would like to have it on hand year round.
butternut squash.jpg

12 weeks in and there was something powdery and white covering the top. I scooped off the top inch and tried a bite and there is still no sourness at all - just salty - so I'm counting this as a failure. I'll give it another go the next time I see cabbage on sale...

Hi Bleme. Just in case you are not already doing this, it is important to keep the cabbage submerged during fermentation. You can do it with weights made for this purpose. If this is new to you let me know I have pics. My sauerkraut is usually done fermenting in two weeks, but I usually use a starter culture to ensure the right ones are in my ferment. I've had some growths like you describe, and I scrape it out and let it continue (I don't recall it covering the entire surface though). Turned out good in those cases. Best of luck to you.

Couple things: The pan is a carbon steel matfer bourgeat. It's not more or less expensive than the next so I'm not bragging. If I regret anything in life, it's not getting one of these sooner. I've burned through so many non-stick pans that I've cared for diligently, it isn't funny. Omelettes are a piece of cake. The pan is not a non-stick so there are differences.
Anyway, this is a grilled cheese made with home made bread. There are a billion, awesome ways to make a grilled cheese so this is just one of them. Buttered with sharp cheddar and then under the broiler to soften the onion.
grilled mid cook.jpg

GC moneyshot.jpg

Couple things: The pan is a carbon steel matfer bourgeat. It's not more or less expensive than the next so I'm not bragging. If I regret anything in life, it's not getting one of these sooner. I've burned through so many non-stick pans that I've cared for diligently, it isn't funny. Omelettes are a piece of cake. The pan is not a non-stick so there are differences.
Anyway, this is a grilled cheese made with home made bread. There are a billion, awesome ways to make a grilled cheese so this is just one of them. Buttered with sharp cheddar and then under the broiler to soften the onion.
View attachment 653449

View attachment 653445

There is nothing so simple and satisfying as a grilled cheese sandwich. I love cheddar, but when I was a kidling my grandma would make me swiss, and I do love that. Lots of butter in the pan and a little salt.

Onions, now that's a game changer. I love them. I'd probably saute them separately though.

What does the bean pot do? I learn much from here and happy that I do. I love cooking. Hopefully, the answer isn't something ridiculously obvious.
Yeah, it cooks beans. [emoji57]

It's just the traditional pot used for making baked beans, especially in New England I gather, and you'll still see the image of one incorporated into labels of some brands of baked beans. Tradition aside, I don't know that it has any functional superiority over any other vessel you might use for that, though the heavy ceramic does hold even heat nicely over a long time. But I wouldn't think of making baked beans in anything else, just because it's been passed on to me. I just did a quick search and was surprised to see you can still buy them, so they must have something going for them.

View attachment 653449

View attachment 653445
I've been wanting a good carbon steel skillet. I appreciate the testimonial for the Matfer Bourgeat. And the sandwich looks delicious too. One of my favorite twists on grilled cheese: Havarti, with a sliced tomato and Dijon mustard.

What does the bean pot do? I learn much from here and happy that I do. I love cooking. Hopefully, the answer isn't something ridiculously obvious.

If one does not over fill the pot, there is no boil over mess (see my mess) the syrupy goodness bubbles up to self baste the top.

If one does not over fill the pot, there is no boil over mess (see my mess) the syrupy goodness bubbles up to self baste the top.
All these years of using it, and it never occurred to me that it's the shape that does have that effect... indeed I don't ever get a mess... somebody knew what they were doing when they designed the thing!

+1 to what Mike said about keeping the cabbage under the brine. Still taking a peek once in a while and removing anything resembling mold is a good practice. Was it in a warmish area? My last batch was in the crock about 8 weeks, not because it took so long, but that’s how long it was until I had the time to jar it up. Too much salt will slow or inhibit the fermentation too... I suppose you know that already.

There is nothing so simple and satisfying as a grilled cheese sandwich. I love cheddar, but when I was a kidling my grandma would make me swiss, and I do love that. Lots of butter in the pan and a little salt.

Onions, now that's a game changer. I love them. I'd probably saute them separately though.
I make one helluva grilled cheese. What goes in is entirely dependent on what cheese I have at the time. Usually 2-4 cheeses. I like a mix of soft and firm cheese.
Ideally:
a sharp cheddar or dubliner,
a light funk gruyere or havarti or a funkier stilton or gorgonzola
A soft gooey melter like fontina or gouda or a brie.

Bacon is a sometimes.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I never thought to add sauteed onions, peppers or mushrooms.

I've been wanting a good carbon steel skillet. I appreciate the testimonial for the Matfer Bourgeat. And the sandwich looks delicious too. One of my favorite twists on grilled cheese: Havarti, with a sliced tomato and Dijon mustard.
I don't think you can go wrong with the Matfer Bourgeat though I kind of doubt it's way better than others. I've had it for six months and nothing but praise for it.
Thank you for compliment. My wife is a fair critic and said the grilled cheese this evening could be sold in a restaurant. We actually adore Havarti--especially my wife--and it is a staple in our house. How nice that you mentioned it? I usually have a ridiculous number of cheeses, up to eight in the fridge. Who does that?
We have a place called "Eastern Market" where they have a shop that imports incredible cheese from everywhere. It is a gem.
Your sandwich idea sounds delicious.

Last edited:

confectionalism.com

Ingredients

4 Large egg yolks, fresh

8 Large eggs, fresh

4 cups whole milk

2 cups heavy cream

pinch of salt

3 cinnamon sticks

6 whole cloves

whip cream for garnish

View attachment 652974

I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a Sous Vide and this just put me over the top! Thank you for sharing this.

I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a Sous Vide and this just put me over the top! Thank you for sharing this.
No problem. Black Friday is the perfect time to find them on sale. I've probably had mine for about 4 years. I still them on sale for 50% off and get tempted to see if there's better features out there.

Back