What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow cooked short ribs, mashed potatoes from the garden, a bun, and a nopalito, tomatoe, onion medley.
IMG_20191122_170246.jpg

I put some sharp cheddar on top of this Italian bread. Worked out okay-well. I make an 8" square and fold two edges in--the usual. While it's an 8" square, I think that would be an opportune point to add a slightly hefty amount of sharp cheddar. I know it's not a new idea but I'm new to bread.
bread with cheese.jpg

My mafter bourgeat spatula is awesome. It was Americas test kitchen plastic spatula winner. Not related to skillet, but I can imagine skillet is nice. I hear you on the non stick, they dont last forever, despite what my buddy thinks. Will that scratch stove like cast iron?
I don't think you can go wrong with the Matfer Bourgeat though I kind of doubt it's way better than others. I've had it for six months and nothing but praise for it.
Thank you for compliment. My wife is a fair critic and said the grilled cheese this evening could be sold in a restaurant. We actually adore Havarti--especially my wife--and it is a staple in our house. How nice that you mentioned it? I usually have a ridiculous number of cheeses, up to eight in the fridge. Who does that?
We have a place called "Eastern Market" where they have a shop that imports incredible cheese from everywhere. It is a gem.
Your sandwich idea sounds delicious.

My mafter bourgeat spatula is awesome. It was Americas test kitchen plastic spatula winner. Not related to skillet, but I can imagine skillet is nice. I hear you on the non stick, they dont last forever, despite what my buddy thinks. Will that scratch stove like cast iron?
Induction kind of surface or ceramic grates over the burners? I wouldn't know about the first kind but I'm sure it has been scratching the ceramic finish slightly on my grates like my cast iron does. A small price to pay, I suppose. Next stove will have the cast iron-like grates that don't look dirty even when they are. I'm looking forward to just scraping them and using the steel scrubby and probably seasoning them too.

Speaking of spatulas, I only use plastic and rubber on the steel pan. I just couldn't bear putting metal to the coveted, seasoned surface and now I find out that Matfer Bourgeat has intended that.

Non-stick has bothered for a long time but I always kept it on medium or lower so as to not unleash chemicals. It was just a nagging thought. I use skillets probably every day so they get to be non-stick after a while.

Onions, now that's a game changer. I love them. I'd probably saute them separately though.
Yeah, grilled onions send the sandwich to a new level. Alas, my wife prefers raw onions; however, with quesadillas, she'll have them sauteed on occasion.
Bennigan's had this bacon, jack, mushroom and onion quesadilla which was awesome with sour cream but 180° not Mexican. The combo of grilled mushroom and onion with Monterey Jack and bacon pieces was fabulous.

It's a sad day. After 19 years I finally put my Weber grill out to pasture. It was a tank. Used it religiously often sparking when there was 2' of snow on it's top and never babying it. Cooked so many good meals and seen so many good times.

Kind of felt like I was cheating on it as they were lifting the replacement off and it was waiting to be taken to the Big Recycling Center in the sky. I'll miss you BIg Green!

The replacement first use in the driveway as I'm demo'ing the back deck on Monday. Tonight, fittingly there's an empty space on my back deck.

IMG_20191123_182338.jpeg
IMG_20191123_183949.jpeg

Selfishly, I'm making prime rib instead of turkey for Thanksgiving so I can look at some red meat during dinner. It's extra bad because I just got a 15 gallon pot and I have a Hellfire burner and so I have no excuses. Luckily, the father in law doesn't prefer turkey.

Selfishly, I'm making prime rib instead of turkey for Thanksgiving so I can look at some red meat during dinner. It's extra bad because I just got a 15 gallon pot and I have a Hellfire burner and so I have no excuses. Luckily, the father in law doesn't prefer turkey.

Good plan. Turkey sucks. We bought a 6lb fresh breast today. At best it’s going to only be edible.

So far 100 gallons of gravy, 100 pounds of vegetarian stuffing, 100 pounds of sausage and chestnut stuffing, 16 gallons of cranberry sauce, 250 pounds of turkey breast... Tomorrow will be giant batches of Brussels sprouts, green beans, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese. Working large batch catering over the past three years is making me start to hate what used to be my favorite holiday.

I feel bad for getting a chuckle out of this. Sorry for your loss, but dang looks like you made out well in replacing it. Beautiful. Did you have the old weber silver genesis? (i think that is what they were called). I have one I got on craiglist, its amazing. My evil plan is rebuilding it when the time comes(cause I wont splash out on a new one).

Following the egg nog recipe i thought of my buddy. His wife retired and is selling pampered chef. He wont stop talking about his blender. It heats up to make bechamel and hollandaise. But I thought of the egg nog reading how you made it. Kind of spendy, but I love egg nog and bechamel. I might have to look into it.

It's a sad day. After 19 years I finally put my Weber grill out to pasture. It was a tank. Used it religiously often sparking when there was 2' of snow on it's top and never babying it. Cooked so many good meals and seen so many good times.

Kind of felt like I was cheating on it as they were lifting the replacement off and it was waiting to be taken to the Big Recycling Center in the sky. I'll miss you BIg Green!

The replacement first use in the driveway as I'm demo'ing the back deck on Monday. Tonight, fittingly there's an empty space on my back deck.

View attachment 653813View attachment 653814

Following the egg nog recipe i thought of my buddy. His wife retired and is selling pampered chef. He wont stop talking about his blender. It heats up to make bechamel and hollandaise. But I thought of the egg nog reading how you made it. Kind of spendy, but I love egg nog and bechamel. I might have to look into it.

Supposedly the Vitamix blenders can make soups; I haven't tried.

Turkey sucks.
That was quite funny to me for some reason and made me laugh.
Been watching PBS's cooking folks give their best efforts at trying to save the reputation of the turkey as a legitimate main dish. Joking a little there.
Best one so far was the smoker guy who did a brine of 7% salt water, maple syrup and, I believe, whiskey for 24 hours. He injected the heck out of it with plain melted butter before he smoked it for 5 hours at 235°F to a dark-meat temp of 170°F.
I'm now waffling between prime rib and filet mignon. Prime rib because I'll have leftovers and can make French dips and filet mignon because it is filet mignon.

That was quite funny to me for some reason and made me laugh.
Been watching PBS's cooking folks give their best efforts at trying to save the reputation of the turkey as a legitimate main dish. Joking a little there.
Best one so far was the smoker guy who did a brine of 7% salt water, maple syrup and, I believe, whiskey for 24 hours. He injected the heck out of it with plain melted butter before he smoked it for 5 hours at 235°F to a dark-meat temp of 170°F.
I'm now waffling between prime rib and filet mignon. Prime rib because I'll have leftovers and can make French dips and filet mignon because it is filet mignon.

So in other words, in order to make turkey inedible it has to be injected with a ton of salt, sugar and other flavors? Sucks indeed.

I like a good turkey. I suspect its bad reputation is largely the result of unfortunate circumstances. After all, Thanksgiving is the only day of the year an awful lot of people cook (or try to,) and many people only eat turkey on Thanksgiving, so much of the population only has experience of turkey as cooked by amateurs who would render equally inedible any meat item they attempted to prepare.

Turkey day at my house this year. I’m thinking about roast spatchcock turkey. Maybe doing a brine but I’m on the fence with that. I‘ve never spatchcocked a turkey but have always liked the result with whole chicken on the grill and think it should help even out cooking. I don’t stuff the bird so I’m not missing anything there.

Turkey day at my house this year. I’m thinking about roast spatchcock turkey. Maybe doing a brine but I’m on the fence with that. I‘ve never spatchcocked a turkey but have always liked the result with whole chicken on the grill and think it should help even out cooking. I don’t stuff the bird so I’m not missing anything there.
See, that's what I'm talking about. Somebody who knows how to cook and can anticipate and avoid the pitfalls of roasting a whole turkey. How about spatchcocked on a bed of mirepoix, and you're well on the way to some gravy and dressing?

I feel bad for getting a chuckle out of this. Sorry for your loss, but dang looks like you made out well in replacing it. Beautiful. Did you have the old weber silver genesis? (i think that is what they were called). I have one I got on craiglist, its amazing. My evil plan is rebuilding it when the time comes(cause I wont splash out on a new one).

Don't worry I was busting my b@lls.

I think it was called a silver. I knew it was a Genesis 3 burner. That thing could crank up the heat. This new one has nice shiny stainless steel flavorizers down in the burner well. Man the smell of pure steak for the first use was awesome.

Since the surface area is greater it seems to diffuse the heat more. I bet it could cook a couple dozen burgers without an uneven burn. Maybe it was because it was so cold out last night but I don't think I could have burned the steak. The next model up has an extra burner to sear to really crank up the heat in one location.

I got lucky and this one is going out of production . Got it for $650 plus they assemble, deliver and dispose for free.

As for the eggnog I use the Bulleit non rye which u can get at a good price. The big kicker was the vanilla beans. You can use extract but I figured the sous vide would really extract flavor.

I like turkey. I'll be making two of them for Thanksgiving.

Yes, it's better covered with gravy and mashed potatoes. I'd say the gravy and potatoes are improved by the turkey :) Dark meat is far tastier, but I like the way the white meat can be slabbed like a steak. I'm equal opportunity I think.

Thanksgiving around my house wouldn't feel right without the turkey. It's a tradition around here - we're big on that kind of thing.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Somebody who knows how to cook and can anticipate and avoid the pitfalls of roasting a whole turkey. How about spatchcocked on a bed of mirepoix, and you're well on the way to some gravy and dressing?

I wouldn’t go as far as knows how to cook, but I’ve been around plenty of dry turkeys on thanksgiving. This year it’s my turn and I’m going to do everything that I can to have a good turkey.

I think the mirepoix would definitely add some necessary flavor and aroma. I think I’m just shy of a bigger roasting pan to handle a 19lb spatchcocked turkey.

I wouldn’t go as far as knows how to cook, but I’ve been around plenty of dry turkeys on thanksgiving. This year it’s my turn and I’m going to do everything that I can to have a good turkey.

I think the mirepoix would definitely add some necessary flavor and aroma. I think I’m just shy of a bigger roasting pan to handle a 19lb spatchcocked turkey.
Sheet pan?

The turkey sammy with tons of Helmans mayo and black pepper and some lettuce. Oh man, that's just right for Friday afternoon.

And a slice of tomato.

Possibly some cranberry sauce---the real stuff, not the canned crap.

Dark meat is far tastier

Very true. Same goes with the superior tasting chicken too.

Unfortunately it's very difficult to get properly cooked dark meat while still having juicy white meat. Unless you cook them separately it's pretty much under-done dark meat or overcooked white meat.

The giada turkey is nice as is high heat. I got the idea for cooking the turkey at 500 degrees from Americas test kitchen. They claimed to have cooked Turkey every which way but loose and the high heat won. I have to agree it is awesome (i dont like Turkey either, but tradition wise I do, well I do like left over Turkey sandwiches). But the high heat makes not burning the drippings hard and it smokes the house out. The breast must be covered with foil at some point, but it produces a turkey that glows a rich brown.

The giada turkey is butter and evoo mixed with herbs Provence and it is rubbed under skin and on top. Then inside it is stuffed with oranges and lemons, onion, fresh parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme?, and oregano. I squish and muddle it in there and let it sit wrapped in fridge over night. Its legit if you like that kind of thing. The gravy is memorable with the citrus and fresh herbs. Fresh herbs are added below Turkey as it cooks.

The other staple in our house for special occasions is tyler florences green bean casserole. He makes it look easy to make, but it takes me longer. It is homemade croutons with italian bread, evoo, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and parmesan cheese. Those are baked and set aside. Then a variety of mixed wild mushrooms are sauteed with shallots, more fresh herbs iirc and then cream added. Blanched green beans are put in dish. Cream wild mushrooms shallot mixture poured on, topped with homemade croutons and then more parmesan. It is really good and from experience better the next day. Kind of sad i am not cooking this year. Edit seems i was off on herbs and recipes a little, here are the recipes. Iirc this will mark my 4th year sharing this recipe, hope someone gives it a go. Btw i use more oil and butter then her recipe calls for.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/green-bean-casserole-recipe-1943501

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...-herbes-de-provence-and-citrus-recipe-1943593

Mound of stuffing on sheet pan and spatchcocked turkey on top. Be careful with amount of brine if you want the stuffing to be edible.

And a slice of tomato.

Possibly some cranberry sauce---the real stuff, not the canned crap.

Tomato? No way! Fresh tomato in November just doesn’t happen in my area and even if I got some hot house on the vine frankentomato it’s a summer taste...doesn’t belong.

Cranberry is always welcome on a turkey day leftovers sandwich though.

So far 100 gallons of gravy, 100 pounds of vegetarian stuffing, 100 pounds of sausage and chestnut stuffing, 16 gallons of cranberry sauce, 250 pounds of turkey breast... Tomorrow will be giant batches of Brussels sprouts, green beans, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese. Working large batch catering over the past three years is making me start to hate what used to be my favorite holiday.
Wow imma impressed mostly with the 100 gallons of gravy!!

Back