What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no clue as to brewing with acorns, but as a kid I made acorn flour & used it in pancakes; I've even made a sort of acorn bannock with it. It's pretty labor-intensive though. You have to leach out the tannins. There are 2 methods: hot & cold. I used the hot method described in Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger; but WITHOUT using the wood ashes. There's also the cold leaching method, but that takes a few days.

Either way, it's a LOT of work, with little usable product. Though, if the boiling removed the oils along with the tannins, you might be able to use the acorn flour as an adjunct in a brew. You might get more flavor out of it if you toasted it in the oven, not sure though. You should use White acorns though, red are way too tannic.
Regards, GF.

I was always curious about this. As a kid I read "My Side of the Mountain" many times. It's a story of a boy who left home and lived on some family property in the Catskills of NY (IIRC) and one thing he did was make acorn flour. We have many acorns in our area and I've tasted them more than a few times, but never imagined they would actually make a decent tasting flour.

So maybe the part I missed in the book was how he got the tannins out before eating it. I *think* he soaked the ground up acorns in something and then saved the sedimentation and dried it to make a flour of sorts, but I may be confusing with some other process for something else. It's been a while since I read that book. (The movie was not nearly as good.)

Interesting amalgamation of roasted sweet potatoes, fresh figs and scallion/chilli pan-fried mix.

Seasoned with balsamic reduction.

Sounded pretty outlandish when I first read the recipe, but came out really good:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-sweet-potatoes-fresh-figs-51115420

Sweet potato salad.jpg

Yes, I cure it whole. I leave it totally submerged in the brine/cure for just over three weeks. The cure does penetrate all the way through, but I know some people that also inject the cure, just in case. Sorry about not having any final pics, but my family crushed that thing! :mug:

Both times I have done Pastrami my family devoured it with no leftovers! It's really that good when you make it yourself!!

I was always curious about this. As a kid I read "My Side of the Mountain" many times. It's a story of a boy who left home and lived on some family property in the Catskills of NY (IIRC) and one thing he did was make acorn flour. We have many acorns in our area and I've tasted them more than a few times, but never imagined they would actually make a decent tasting flour.

So maybe the part I missed in the book was how he got the tannins out before eating it. I *think* he soaked the ground up acorns in something and then saved the sedimentation and dried it to make a flour of sorts, but I may be confusing with some other process for something else. It's been a while since I read that book. (The movie was not nearly as good.)

We read that book a million times!

I have Japanese Oaks where I live, they are great for acorn-flinging. Never thought to use them for anything else.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I really want to make bonsai trees out of them, but it seems like so much effort for, literally, so small a reward. But, if I could sell them...

sFun_idea.gif

I have Japanese Oaks where I live, they are great for acorn-flinging. Never thought to use them for anything else.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I really want to make bonsai trees out of them, but it seems like so much effort for, literally, so small a reward. But, if I could sell them...

sFun_idea.gif

LOL!

You know that the Bonsai tree is not the point of Bonsai, right? I never know with you, man.

Also, I just remembered I have a Bonsai kit someone got for me a while ago and I should plant it and see what happens. I think it's several years old by now. Every time I go to plant it, it's the wrong time of year.

@bfish Try putting those sweet potatoes in the smoker with the chicken & a couple handfuls of hickory chips, I like to brush the taters with dark sesame oil, but olive oil works too. The oil helps to hold in moisture as well as adding a little flavor & the taters pick up the smoke flavor very well. I put them on at the same time I put the leg quarters on & they're done at the same time.
Regards, GF.

@gratus fermentatio
Good thought. I often do the same with regular baking potatoes (i.e. naked).

I have an unlimited supply of kiln dried red oak so that is what I use hehe. But hickory is good (and traditional around here), however sometimes with chicken it can be a little overpowering. Pecan and apple are good with chicken too.

@gratus fermentatio
Good thought. I often do the same with regular baking potatoes (i.e. naked).

I have an unlimited supply of kiln dried red oak so that is what I use hehe. But hickory is good (and traditional around here), however sometimes with chicken it can be a little overpowering. Pecan and apple are good with chicken too.

How does one get unlimited red oak? I find hickory to be slightly overpowering as well, but nowhere near as bad as mesquite. Mesquite is definitely a dab will do you. I think applewood is one of my favorite woods to smoke with

How does one get unlimited red oak? ...
My good buddy and former neighbor runs a flooring company. For new installs, he primarily uses red oak, then seals in place. He saves all the raw scraps. What I don't want, he trades off to people with fireplaces as fire starter. The cuts are perfect size for fitting into a charcoal kettle. :D

Beans and Smoked Hocks in the crock pot last night. Cooked all night. Surprisingly the beans were tender this morning, so I pulled the bones and shredded the meat and brought a small bowl of beans with an egg on top to work for breakfast. So far no adverse effects from the beans, but we'll see how the day continues...

How does one get unlimited red oak? I find hickory to be slightly overpowering as well, but nowhere near as bad as mesquite. Mesquite is definitely a dab will do you. I think applewood is one of my favorite woods to smoke with

IMHO, fruit-woods are some of the best. Apple, pear, cherry - all great to smoke with.

From experience, I can say that pecan wood is good, but don't use pecan shells. Also, corn cobs work great! They don't need to be pre-soaked, either.

:D

IMHO, fruit-woods are some of the best. Apple, pear, cherry - all great to smoke with.

From experience, I can say that pecan wood is good, but don't use pecan shells. Also, corn cobs work great! They don't need to be pre-soaked, either.

:D

Yeah I really like cherry wood as well. Never even thought about using corn cobs. Maybe toss whole ears in there and get smoked popcorn :D :ban::ban:

Corn cobs smell like corn. It gives off a sweet smoke, much like a fruit wood would. Yes, I save old corn cobs (whether they were eaten like that or the corn kernels were cut off) and then freeze them. No drying necessary, so no hydrating later is necessary either. I just put them in zip-top freezer bags and let them thaw some when I need to use them. I throw them right on top of the coals, like you would soaked chips/blocks.

If my wife ever leaves me and I find a deaf, blind, dumb fertile female desperately anxious to further an obviously flawed gene pool and she somehow convinces my hopelessly alcohol raddled brain to 'reverse the procedure and she ends up whelping some sort of Jurassic Park-ish Mini-me I'm going to name that ill gotten fruit of my surgically remodeled loins after the totally mad chef at the local Portuguese Club, Carlos.

Or I'll call him Fuggles. It's a coin toss.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1491007380.165367.jpg

If my wife ever leaves me and I find a deaf, blind, dumb fertile female desperately anxious to further an obviously flawed gene pool and she somehow convinces my hopelessly alcohol raddled brain to 'reverse the procedure and she ends up whelping some sort of Jurassic Park-ish Mini-me I'm going to name that ill gotten fruit of my surgically remodeled loins after the totally mad chef at the local Portuguese Club, Carlos.

View attachment 394834

mmmmok. Good luck searching for helen keller. Jenny's got her digits. Jenny: 867-5309. I don't think she changed it. Good luck.

View attachment 394834

"slym" isn't good enough? After the whole corn-cob incident?

:confused: ;) :D

Back