What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to travel this week so treated the family to homemade blackberry grunt.

img_69281-68034.jpg

Never heard the term "grunt" applied to a dessert before, I learned something new today. The grunt looks mighty tasty!
Regards, GF.

Quadrupled Where did you learn to make that? It's very similar to a traditional food where I'm grew up and you are the first person outside of there that I've seen who has heard of it. We use blueberries instead

Was heating olive oil to cook some onions and leek and had a pan fire yesterday. Poof, holy crap scared me. Put it out with the pan lid, but not before the ceiling got slightly blackened form the thick smoke.

Ended up making some great asparagus soup.

I let a pan catch fire heating oil once in my younger days, and put it out with baking soda. It was nasty, and a learning experience (not to get distracted while cooking) I'm really glad you cought it before major damage was done.
:mug:

a learning experience (not to get distracted while cooking)

Yep, I started heating oil and THEN started chopping onions etc - chopping took longer than I expected. I usually prep everything first (mise en place) but I was making this soup at the same time as brewing, so I was very distracted and rushing things. Lesson learned!

Was heating olive oil to cook some onions and leek and had a pan fire yesterday. Poof, holy crap scared me. Put it out with the pan lid, but not before the ceiling got slightly blackened form the thick smoke.

Yep, I started heating oil and THEN started chopping onions etc - chopping took longer than I expected. I usually prep everything first (mise en place) but I was making this soup at the same time as brewing, so I was very distracted and rushing things. Lesson learned!

Dang dude thats scary. But it sounds like you handled it correctly and intelligently (as opposed to... Put it out in the sink!! :confused: )

Ya, Ive learned over the years that, as with brewing, if Im prepared and make a mise en place and have everything set out ready to go, I can focus on the cooking and ultimately make better food. It may take a bit longer, but Ive just learned to budget my time a little better and start 30 mins before I would normally do so

I was deep frying wings in a large volume pot, I had a bit of a boilover and it started a small fire.. I took the pan off heat and covered it and out of nowhere my ******* drunk roommate poured 16oz of water on a grease fire...

Needless to say how big of a fiasco that was.

Nice. I need to do that before the weather warms up. I have a distinct memory of getting caught in a hailstorm in Paris and waiting out the day eating onion soup and drinking red wine. Rest of the day was unproductive.

Lol! I have a similar memory of trudging through a snow storm in Lincolnshire to get to a pub and freezing our butts off. We finally got there and I had Steak and Guinness Pie for the first time and it was absolutely awesome!! Figured out how to cook it immediately thereafter!!

Love cooking French Onion Soup too. My oldest daughter's favorite dish I cook, and always a crowd pleaser, except SWMBO that is not a fan. Huff. Lol [emoji23]

Damn Pawn!! Be careful!! At least you had the lid at hand. I keep my lid close, or a flat cookie sheet, every time I am heating and cooking with fat. My youngest and her husband had the fire department out once when they were going to fry Scotch Eggs and they learned the hard way!

Thai-style beef and red curry.

Previously I used to buy "stir-fry" beef for this dish, however recently discovered that it tastes WAY better if I get a skirt steak instead and just chop it into small pieces. The mouthfeel is a lot more "steak-ier" (for lack of a better word).

That's beautiful! Recipe?

Thank you :mug:

Mine is something along these lines:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-thai-red-curry-beef

Couple of changes:

a.) I used skirt steak instead of tenderloin.

b.) I routinely substitute Greek yogurt for coconut milk, which (IMHO) has slightly more saturated fat than I care to eat. I personally think that this substitution works really well.

:tank:

That looks good. Simple too! I love Thai food. Much easier than the Kow Soy I made SWMBO for Valentine's Day.

My oldest never had Brussels Sprouts, but got to try them somewhere. I had had them once or twice and never got hooked (But I love cabbage and broccoli and Kolrabi, etc., so go figure.)

I picked up a package at the store and basically pan fried them with some olive oil, sea salt, Parmesan Cheese, and pepper, and they were really good. More of a saute than a fry, though. I'm excited to try some other flavors from now on. I've read about balsamic vinegar being used with them. Maybe some bacon bits would pair nicely too.

My oldest never had Brussels Sprouts, but got to try them somewhere. I had had them once or twice and never got hooked (But I love cabbage and broccoli and Kolrabi, etc., so go figure.)

I picked up a package at the store and basically pan fried them with some olive oil, sea salt, Parmesan Cheese, and pepper, and they were really good. More of a saute than a fry, though. I'm excited to try some other flavors from now on. I've read about balsamic vinegar being used with them. Maybe some bacon bits would pair nicely too.

Toss halved sprouts with olive oil and salt & pepper and roast In a 400* oven for ~20 minutes.

Cook some diced bacon until crispy. Soak some dried fruit (cherries, yellow raisins, or whatever you like in some apple cider vinegar.

Remove bacon and dump out all but a couple TBSP of grease. Saute some sliced red onions in bacon grease. Add bacon, roasted sprouts, and soaked fruit (discard apple cider vinegar). Toss entire mix with a TSP (or 2) of balsamic vinegar.

My go to recipe for Brussels...

I clean and halve the sprouts, then nuke for about 8 minutes til they're JUST tender, drain well, then toss with a couple tablespoons melted bacon fat or olive oil - spread in an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic salt, roast in preheated 400* til browning, tossing once or twice. Add a handful of bacon bits if you like, then a drizzle of balsamic, toss and serve. KOTC and I can clear a whole panful of those things!

Quadrupled Where did you learn to make that? It's very similar to a traditional food where I'm grew up and you are the first person outside of there that I've seen who has heard of it. We use blueberries instead

So I have always enjoyed Alton Brown's show Good Eats and am a big fan of cobblers. There was a cobbler episode and on this he made "grunts". These are fantastic little desert dumplings resting in the blackberries - is it the same basic format for your recipe? If you were to use his recipe, I'd recommend using a quarter cup less sugar. Fruit options are open and I plan to try blueberry as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/blackberry-grunt-recipe

They pair nicely with chestnuts. I posted this earlier in this thread, but I'll post again, because... food pics :)

Chestnut and Brussel Sprout salad.

Fried some bacon and red onion, then added chestnuts, fried the crap out of those

Parboiled the brussel sprouts, added to the other mix. Squeeze lemon over the result and super yum.

_mg_8168-62591.jpg

_mg_8174-62593.jpg

_mg_8179-62594.jpg

_mg_8181-62595.jpg

They pair nicely with chestnuts. I posted this earlier in this thread, but I'll post again, because... food pics :)

Chestnut and Brussel Sprout salad.

Fried some bacon and red onion, then added chestnuts, fried the crap out of those

Parboiled the brussel sprouts, added to the other mix. Squeeze lemon over the result and super yum.

Beautiful cooking!

Love the damascus steel on that knife. Is it Japanese?

Beautiful cooking!

Love the damascus steel on that knife. Is it Japanese?

Thanks!

Japanese? Not that one (at least I don't think so :)). It's Calaphon. That knife is either VG1 or VG10, can't remember. I love it, it's heavy and really well balanced if you use a knife the way I do. It's chipped pretty easily, though. I pretty much only use it for cutting melons and bigger stuff now.

I have a full set of Miyabi knives (SG2 steel) with the pretty damascus layers that are FAR sharper than that knife. I use them for everything. They are like razors. Easy to keep sharp. I think those are made in Japan, but not really sure. I buy purely for specs, don't care too much where they are made.

Anybody else have an Instant Pot cooker? Man I adore the thing. Have been using it for about 6 months now. Yesterday, did a pot roast/stew thing, had 4 pounds of bottom round that I cut into 6 pieces and seasoned well with Adobo and Pepper Plant, browned well, cut up a little smaller to fit in the pot better, deglazed the bottom with chopped onions/celery/carrots and a good splash of homebrewed Porter; put the meat back in, added seasonings, packet of onion soup mix, beef stock paste and the rest of the bottle of Porter, pressure cooked on High for 22 minutes. Let pressure drop naturally, opened cooker, added some large cubes of peeled turnip, sliced Portabello mushrooms, red/yellow/orange small peppers, in large dice, then set it on the Slow Cook setting and let it go for 4 hours. GOOOOOD stuff and I'm sure it will be better tonight!

You mostly know by now that I don't have a good camera for this stuff - no pictures, didn't happen - but my tummy said it did!

Anybody else have an Instant Pot cooker? Man I adore the thing. Have been using it for about 6 months now. Yesterday, did a pot roast/stew thing, had 4 pounds of bottom round that I cut into 6 pieces and seasoned well with Adobo and Pepper Plant, browned well, cut up a little smaller to fit in the pot better, deglazed the bottom with chopped onions/celery/carrots and a good splash of homebrewed Porter; put the meat back in, added seasonings, packet of onion soup mix, beef stock paste and the rest of the bottle of Porter, pressure cooked on High for 22 minutes. Let pressure drop naturally, opened cooker, added some large cubes of peeled turnip, sliced Portabello mushrooms, red/yellow/orange small peppers, in large dice, then set it on the Slow Cook setting and let it go for 4 hours. GOOOOOD stuff and I'm sure it will be better tonight!

You mostly know by now that I don't have a good camera for this stuff - no pictures, didn't happen - but my tummy said it did!

I'm intrigued by all the wonderful reviews I've heard about it, but haven't bought one...

Not sure it would save me that much time, given ingredient prep and cooking time would still make it problematic for most weeknight meals......and I actually enjoy long cooking processes when I have time available.

I am intrigued by the single pot / multi-use aspect.

Never enjoyed searing something in a pan only to move it to a crock pot...

And then using it as a rice cooker too would mean one less thing in the kitchen/pantry.

LOL, sounds like you're making some excellent justifications there my friend! :)

I love setting it for Saute, More - which turns up the heat - and browning the meat - did it in three batches yesterday - then deglaze the thing, throw all the goodies in the pot and set it to Pressure Cook and off she goes. Then just switch it to Slow Cook.

The thing I use it for most - hardcooking eggs! KOTC prefers them with the white full set but not rubbery and just a little softness in the yolk. I can do one dozen eggs in there for 3 minutes, let the pressure off immediately, plunge them into ice water for 12 minutes, and they're done to perfection.

I haven't tried rice yet but other reports say it works great. Have pressure cooked various things in it with great success. I do have two other digital electric PCs, both 8 quart, and I find myself instead pulling out the IP because even though it's 6 quart, so far it has held everything I want to cook and the stainless steel inner pot can go straight into the dishwasher. Yeah, I sound like a commercial, LOL!

And this one was given to me by a friend who bought it and then was afraid to try it. Her loss - my BIG GAIN! :)

Where did you get the squid ink? I can taste that paella and I'm liking what I imagine I'm tasting.

Paella is on my to-do list. Can't afford Saffron, but I don't think it's been included in any Paella that I've eaten so far anyway. I should plan to try to make it sometime next week.

Latest posts

Back