What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We love Paella!! I make it often, mostly through the spring and summer months. I would recommend this pan to anyone who is looking to get into it. You can make Paella without it, but the presentation is tough to beat with it! :mug:

securedownload_zps645ed199.jpeg

image.jpg1_zpsujhjrx2c.jpg

A bit of smoke in the paella must be delicious!!! :mug:

Being an apartment dweller, I have to make-do with a stove-pot + oven bake version. ;)

Paella is on my to-do list. Can't afford Saffron, but I don't think it's been included in any Paella that I've eaten so far anyway. I should plan to try to make it sometime next week.

If you can get to a Trader Joe's they frequently have it for a reasonable price. I imagine it is a little lower grade than the expensive stuff, but it imparts the flavor and color just fine.

I'm intrigued by all the wonderful reviews I've heard about it, but haven't bought one...

Not sure it would save me that much time, given ingredient prep and cooking time would still make it problematic for most weeknight meals......and I actually enjoy long cooking processes when I have time available.

I am intrigued by the single pot / multi-use aspect.

Never enjoyed searing something in a pan only to move it to a crock pot...

And then using it as a rice cooker too would mean one less thing in the kitchen/pantry.

Its the grains that really keep them around imo. I make monster batches of rice and beans mostly, but it will cook a chuck roast to fork tender in 40 minutes or so if sauted first. One hour if not sauted. I saw gavin make gravy on thanksgiving in his a few years ago and i think that is a good use for them. Giblets and all the other good stuff in, 20 minutes later...gravy like it took all day. Cooking big batches of stock would be a good used for it, maybe? I haven't made a pot roast in a while but it would be my go-to for that because the pressure will make an incredible dish like it cooked all day in an hour. I know people say they cook beans in 30 minutes but it seems an hour is better.

Sadly haven't cooked too much lately but I'm really loving all the beautiful dishes I've seen lately. Super inspirational.

Anybody else have an Instant Pot cooker? Man I adore the thing. Have been using it for about 6 months now. Yesterday, did a pot roast/stew thing, had 4 pounds of bottom round that I cut into 6 pieces and seasoned well with Adobo and Pepper Plant, browned well, cut up a little smaller to fit in the pot better, deglazed the bottom with chopped onions/celery/carrots and a good splash of homebrewed Porter; put the meat back in, added seasonings, packet of onion soup mix, beef stock paste and the rest of the bottle of Porter, pressure cooked on High for 22 minutes. Let pressure drop naturally, opened cooker, added some large cubes of peeled turnip, sliced Portabello mushrooms, red/yellow/orange small peppers, in large dice, then set it on the Slow Cook setting and let it go for 4 hours. GOOOOOD stuff and I'm sure it will be better tonight!

You mostly know by now that I don't have a good camera for this stuff - no pictures, didn't happen - but my tummy said it did!

A guy I work with has one and brags about it almost daily. I have to admit it has piqued my interest.

If you can get to a Trader Joe's they frequently have it for a reasonable price. I imagine it is a little lower grade than the expensive stuff, but it imparts the flavor and color just fine.

Never seen a Trader Joe's. I think I saw it at Meijer for about $18 for a small bottle of it. There was a small amount in the small bottle.

I can't see paying that much until I know what it tastes like.

Saffron is crazy expensive, but you don't need that much making Paella. I've make it with and without saffron, it's not a deal breaker for sure. :mug:

Saffron in my experience has almost no flavor. It's really about the color. It only takes a fraction of a gram (a few threads) to give the neon yellow color to a dish.

Saffron in my experience has almost no flavor. It's really about the color. It only takes a fraction of a gram (a few threads) to give the neon yellow color to a dish.

Sounds like something turmeric could be used for.

I use annatto to color cheese when I want it yellow. You have to buy the extract though. I've attempted to extract myself from the seed and it's really difficult.

This, and I've used turmeric instead and had it work out pretty well!

I also have some butter-flavored coconut oil which is colored with turmeric to give popcorn that neon movie theater color - I love cooking my rice with it because it gives it that nice yellow color too.

Paella is on my to-do list. Can't afford Saffron, but I don't think it's been included in any Paella that I've eaten so far anyway. I should plan to try to make it sometime next week.

If you shop around you can find it for cheaper at some places and a little goes a long way!

Or if you want the colour the turmeric works as a substitute. Some of the Lebanese places around where I grew up will throw it in the rice to mimic saffron.

I wouldn't think of cooking a paella without saffron but when I cook paella it's always for a party and its a pretty expensive dish to begin with, so I figure, "In for a penny, in for a pound." It really does make a nice difference. If you are worried about it try 1/2 thread in your next pot of rice. You'll understand.

@passedpawn Are those chestnuts from a jar? I've had chestnuts twice, in the shells. Those little net bags of them you see in grocery stores around Christmastime. Both times they tasted rancid to me & to everyone else who tried them, they were so bad, we threw them away. I'm guessing I just got old stock, but I've seen the chestnuts in the jars & thought those might be better. Is it worth trying them from the jar? GF.

@schematix Same for me on the saffron. Maybe the saffron I've used was just old & stale or something, but I got no discernible flavor from it in saffron rice, though it was a pretty yellow. GF.

I was planning to do the same but everyone around here still wants >$4/lb for about to expire meat! Crazyness!

And half of it is brine!

When you do the math, turning those corned beef into pastrami isn't that cheap....

A "4 lb" package of corned beef ends up yielding less than two pounds of pastrami...

@passedpawn Are those chestnuts from a jar? I've had chestnuts twice, in the shells. Those little net bags of them you see in grocery stores around Christmastime. Both times they tasted rancid to me & to everyone else who tried them, they were so bad, we threw them away. I'm guessing I just got old stock, but I've seen the chestnuts in the jars & thought those might be better. Is it worth trying them from the jar? GF.

@schematix Same for me on the saffron. Maybe the saffron I've used was just old & stale or something, but I got no discernible flavor from it in saffron rice, though it was a pretty yellow. GF.

They were in a sealed bag. Not "fresh". Of course, I ate some uncooked and they tasted nutty and pretty plain, as you'd expect. I bought mine at the local grocery, but amazon has tons of them in sealed pouches.

On another note, we have so many oaks around here. Sure wish you could do something with acorns. I looked into brewing with them and of course it's not an option.

4A45871A-9251-40C1-A37A-3FA3CDAA2AA8_zpsl9qs1no2.jpg

I make pastrami from scratch for my Father-in law's birthday every March. I buy a whole, 20 pound prime brisket and do a three week cure to it. Here it is after 18 hours in the smoker. Today I will steam for a few hours until it hits 200* internal temp. It's a little bit of work, and it takes up a lot of room in my beer fridge, but it's worth it! :mug:

I make pastrami from scratch for my Father-in law's birthday every March. I buy a whole, 20 pound prime brisket and do a three week cure to it. Here it is after 18 hours in the smoker. Today I will steam for a few hours until it hits 200* internal temp. It's a little bit of work, and it takes up a lot of room in my beer fridge, but it's worth it! :mug:

Well done.

Puerto Rican rice with black beans leftovers with over-medium eggs.

Wife and kids think this is gross, and maybe so does the general population but I could eat this everyday.

Full disclosure, I took the pic after breaking the egg yolks and mixing them with the rice.

Simply delicious.

View attachment 1490630291768.jpg

Wife and kids think this is gross, and maybe so does the general population but I could eat this everyday.

Full disclosure, I took the pic after breaking the egg yolks and mixing them with the rice.

Simply delicious.

That's my favorite especially with gandules. It just tastes better the next day with eggs (for breakfast). It's a staple in my family. Buen provecho.

Simply delicious.

I've come to appreciate an over-medium egg on MANY kinds of leftovers - that looks good to me! :rockin:

I love doing Pastrami, and that's just gorgeous! Did you do the whole 20 lb in all one piece? I thought it had to be cut up into smaller (thinner) pieces to cure all the way through.

Regardless, I want a picture when you cut it up please!

I'm back in the gym trying to shed some beer weight, which is accompanied by eating healthier. And before you ask... No I am not giving up beer, and yes, I'm still drinking the same amount :D

Tonight's dinner is hawaiian turkey burgers. I went open face cuz I still wanted one slice of bread, with grilled pineapple, grilled veggies and rice

View attachment 1490671491587.jpg

On another note, we have so many oaks around here. Sure wish you could do something with acorns. I looked into brewing with them and of course it's not an option.

I've no clue as to brewing with acorns, but as a kid I made acorn flour & used it in pancakes; I've even made a sort of acorn bannock with it. It's pretty labor-intensive though. You have to leach out the tannins. There are 2 methods: hot & cold. I used the hot method described in Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger; but WITHOUT using the wood ashes. There's also the cold leaching method, but that takes a few days.

Either way, it's a LOT of work, with little usable product. Though, if the boiling removed the oils along with the tannins, you might be able to use the acorn flour as an adjunct in a brew. You might get more flavor out of it if you toasted it in the oven, not sure though. You should use White acorns though, red are way too tannic.
Regards, GF.

I love doing Pastrami, and that's just gorgeous! Did you do the whole 20 lb in all one piece? I thought it had to be cut up into smaller (thinner) pieces to cure all the way through.

Regardless, I want a picture when you cut it up please!

Yes, I cure it whole. I leave it totally submerged in the brine/cure for just over three weeks. The cure does penetrate all the way through, but I know some people that also inject the cure, just in case. Sorry about not having any final pics, but my family crushed that thing! :mug:

Back