What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a good deal on some very thin sirloin steaks. Seasoning now and attempting to make a meal out of them with some baked potatoes.

Edit: Since it was so thin it ended up a tad tough. But for under $3 for the whole meal it was fantastic I'd say.

Chile Colorado, Spanish rice, and pickled onions.

IMG_20170408_202141_460.jpg

Found a good deal on some very thin sirloin steaks. Seasoning now and attempting to make a meal out of them with some baked potatoes.

Edit: Since it was so thin it ended up a tad tough. But for under $3 for the whole meal it was fantastic I'd say.

Really thin, supper hot and supper quick, like fajita meat.

What do you use to extrude your pasta?

I just got the attachment for the Kitchenaid. I like it, real easy to use, but I did not use the pasta recipe that comes with it. I've been researching extruded pasta dough and went with a simple semolina and water recipe. It worked out really well!

Here. How's this? No light beer here. Pollo asada tacos (homemade CORN tortillas) with my own marinade and a Waldo's special ale

Sorry, missed this last night! Looks fantastic! I tried a couple of times to make corn tortillas and it was epic fail each time. You mind sharing your process?

Sorry, missed this last night! Looks fantastic! I tried a couple of times to make corn tortillas and it was epic fail each time. You mind sharing your process?

Absolutely. It's super simple. Im "old school" so don't fart around with scales or measuring cups.

I add masa til it looks like enough to make the amount of tortillas I want (probably a cup for 3-4). I add some salt and if I feel fat I'll add a chunk of soft butter but usually I just add water and knead til the dough has the consistency of playdoh. If it's too wet add a pinch if masa. If it's too dry add water. You can dive them up into balls and make tortillas straight away but I find that if I let the dough rest for 30mins to an hr it usually ends up more fluffy. Also, a tortilla press and wax paper go a lonnnnng way. I can measure everything out next time I make them and get you a more exact recipe. But at this point I feel like I have them pretty dialed. Prefer then over store bought if that means anything haha

Tonight's din. The Mrs is out of town for the week so it's just me and the cats. Went all manly tonight. Did a quick smoke on some waygu tri tip with hickory and cherry and finished on the grill. And the mashed taters are with red russet potatoes.

No veggies. No napkins. 😀

View attachment 1491967939839.jpg

Tonight's din. The Mrs is out of town for the week so it's just me and the cats. Went all manly tonight. Did a quick smoke on some waygu tri tip with hickory and cherry and finished on the grill. And the mashed taters are with red russet potatoes.

Your last comment is how every meal should be... Very very nice.

Well, actually... potatoes are a vegetable.

;)

Tonight's din. Was inspired by the carbonara post a few days back so I made carbonara. No fresh noodles though because I'm lazy :D

No offense but "din"? First one I ignored but saying it again? I'll need to put that in the things that annoy me thread.

Carry on.

OK, so as usual I'm showing my ignorance here but I've never had cooked radishes. They're something that I only eat raw, now I've got to try them cooked. Do you just roast/bake them?

I did it just to try it. I don't know if I have had them before either :)

I roasted them in chicken fat (schmaltz) from a chicken I had just roasted. I put them in the cast iron pan and put it in the oven at 350 for about 30-45 minutes.

They taste like slightly watery turnips, with a hint of radish. They'd probably be better in a mix of other vegetables.

I did it just to try it. I don't know if I have had them before either :)

I roasted them in chicken fat (schmaltz) from a chicken I had just roasted. I put them in the cast iron pan and put it in the oven at 350 for about 30-45 minutes.

They taste like slightly watery turnips, with a hint of radish. They'd probably be better in a mix of other vegetables.

They make fairly decent "hash browns" if you dice them up and brown them in bacon fat, with plenty of onion. Nice for those of us who limit carbage.

The skins turn brown and they're somewhat reminiscent of spicy fried red taters.

Back