What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was a teenager in the 60's and 70's, considered by many to be the golden age of rock'n'roll. As an aspiring guitarist I idolized Hendrix and Clapton, Page, Beck, Roy Buchanan, and Rory Gallagher. Now, as an old man I constantly hear that there is no more good music or talent these days. Don't believe it. There's so much talent out there if you just look for it. The music might not always be to everyone's liking but you have to admire the talent. This is a largely family band fronted by an 11 year old. Gives me hope that rock won't die before I do.

This is what I'm talking about!
Maybe it's the ramblings of an old man but I'm convinced, if you could get rid of the politicians, kids and music could unite the world. Just watch some of these talent shows from around the world. It doesn't matter what country, race, or religion they are from, they all seem share something that most people seem have forgotten.
Sorry, end rant...

Last edited:
IMG_5770.jpg

Because the weekend is almost here!!

While I'm at it I'd like to apologize for last night's posts. A friend dropped off 4 750ml bottle of Maudite, something I'd never tried, as payment for some computer work I did for him and, well, they were very easy to drink. First hangover I've had in about 40 years. The "Drunken Ramblings" heading of this thread rang true last night. Sorry.

I could listen to this every day.
I was there in 1987.
Arguably, one of the greatest guitar players of all time...…..

Haha, maybe top 10 at best. I always get a kick out of comments like this. Before you post something angry listen to joe pass. Before I got my degree in music I had the exact same ideas. Jimmy was my guy. Then I had a guitar teacher who basically slapped me. I threw him out of my house in an argument about Dave Matthews and John Coltrane. Like the music or not it's hard to deny its existence and the work the people put in. Listen to Friday night in San Francisco with al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucia. Listen to some strunz and Farah. Barney Kessel, Jim Hall, my teachers most famous student bill frisell, my teacher Dale bruning who was like Kevin Eubanks in the forties. Listen to some of the Great Wes Montgomery. I love his music to and I don't really listen to a lot of the people mentioned above enough. I make comments like that a lot too. I don't know why I have to label something as the best. My friend does to he thinks it's an American thing. I think Joe Pass was the greatest guitar player I have ever listened to.

Edit....https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/jimmy-page-38569/

Here is Rolling Stones list. They have Stevie at 12 and Jimmy at 1. Pete townsend 10, chuck berry, jimmy page. I couldn't even find a real list. I found a list I think it was spin magazine and Kurt Cobain is 4. On a different list they had George Benson as 100 and Pat Metheny is 101. At this point Pat Metheny maybe one of the best guitar players to ever live I don't think he's passed Joe but he's getting close I'm sure. George Benson might be one of the greatest guitar players. His jazz work with Miles Davis and circle in the round was unbelievable. There's a video I just saw of him I was showing a friend, he's singing what he's going to play before he plays it and all this stuff. Django Reinhardt, Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia were 68 69 and 70 on one list. I saw Chuck Berry live. My mom used to take me to the cool concert in Denver. Had the pleasure of seeing Jerry Lee Lewis, the Herman Hermits, etc. I've also seen John McLaughlin Live Twice and Paco live twice. I don't think it would be hard for a child to decipher who was playing the instrument better if watching Chuck Berry and Paco de Lucia. That's not to say I don't like Chuck Berry's music or him. It was a fantastic show.

The best rock and roll play right now is probably Trey Anastasio from Phish. His teacher at the Berklee school of music the great 2 mallets in each hand vibraphone player Gary Burton had toured with my teacher bill douglas. Bill Douglas is one of the greatest living musicians. These gentlemen I am talking about could transcribe and play pretty much everybody on these top 10 list music with ease. Literally I've seen them do it. Dale Bruning transcribed Joe passes music for the Mel Bay book. I just can't imagine that.

Last edited:
Haha, maybe top 10 at best. I always get a kick out of comments like this. Before you post something angry listen to joe pass. Before I got my degree in music I had the exact same ideas. Jimmy was my guy. Then I had a guitar teacher who basically slapped me. I threw him out of my house in an argument about Dave Matthews and John Coltrane.

Such violence! ... over who's "the best" musician?
My post stated "one of"... not "the best".
There are countless talented guitar players. I like Stevie's style. You like somebody else.

Touche! Sure, i have no problem with any of that. It doesnt really matter who either of us like. In fact here is a list of my last purchases. I like pop music and buy it to work out to. Better music can be found so easily anywhere. Saying stevies is one of the best players, arguably, whatever, is like comparing tom Brady and a high school quarterback. Who we like doesn't really matter. This Thread is filled mostly with music that we all like or are listening to. When you throw out the idea of who might be arguably the best, with somebody who has a degree in Guitar playing, it's fair to expect an answer like this. I say things like who's the best all the time, I should say I like them the best.

Here's some good guitar playing for you. Paco in his younger days. I've seen him way better and he's gotten much better as he's gotten older but it gives you an idea. Also here's a new young kid who is so talented that he is playing the Baseline, the Drumline, the rhythm line, and the melody line all at the same time on guitar. And if you like it you should check out his version of Metallica One. Here is some cheesy guys that play really well strunz and farrah. And some joe. His best work is really when he plays the melody and the cords at the same time too difficult songs. What I find with pop musicians is they have careers to span 20 or 30 years but they don't really sound any different or much better as they get older. They are pretty much playing the same thing in the same way that they did 30 years ago. All these musicians get better. I don't listen to a lot of guitar heavy music and you can see what I bought. No violence intended! Just throwing out some ideas for the masses.

Screenshot_2018-07-24-07-46-30.png

Excellent!! Your good will is a real beacon for us all, hope to do better myself. Cheers.

And speaking of Stevie Ray Vaughan, assume you have heard the Albert King Stevie Ray Vaughan cd. I don't know if this video is from the CD but man it's one of my favorites. When we played this in the CD store I worked at in college people would buy it non stop. Pretty cool you got a chance to see him live. Thats pretty epic. Im sad i never saw jerry.

I'm hoping to find some new things to listen to, my music tastes are pretty wide-ranging but am always looking for something new to sample. I'd like to see people post what they're listening to RIGHT NOW (embarrassing or not) to try out... maybe others will do the same. So I'll start... :ban:

Artist: Goldie Lookin' Chain
Song: Bad Luck
April Wine.........

Then this came up!
I have to say this is absolutely the best cover of a Chicago jam I have ever heard!

Tell me? What do you think? Have you seen these guys?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back