Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using a small FWH in all of my hoppier beers lately. The smoother bitterness it provides melds well with this style. I also tend to use a smallish addition at around 10min, as well as large additions at flame out, and sub 175ish. I don't know if the 10min addition does a ton, but I've enjoyed those batches more than ones without it. The sample size is small though.

In a case like that, sample size won't do much because of the inherent bias you would have, e.g., if you think late hop stands will be "juicier", you'll probably taste that juiciness 9/10 times no matter how many times you brew like that. you would have to do something like a blind taste test

This isn't entirely new news, but a new brewer in portland seems to be chatty about the NEIPA style

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-portlands-65th-craft-brewer-has-learned-to-compete-2016-07-08

What I realized is that it was a combination of things to make a New England style of IPA to get that hop flavor. Here in Portland, we saw the IBU wars over the last few years and, fortunately, they have gone away. Nobody’s bragging about a 100 IBU beer anymore. What we’re seeing now, from my perspective, are beers that are more balanced, lighter in color, less crystal and caramel malts, beers that have a higher protein content through wheat and oats. The protein in the style is one of the defining factors — they’re hazy, and you can’t get through that.

People look at our beers and say: “You have too much yeast in suspension.” What it comes down to is educating people that there is some yeast in every beer — we don’t filter, we don’t fine, we don’t centrifuge — but we cold crash all of our beer, drop the yeast out and then do a heavy dry hopping. We dry hop about two and a half to three gallons per barrel. When you dry hop that heavily, you get hop polyphenols that are basically tannins that saturate beer with oils.

Without protein content from wheat or oats, those oils eventually drop out. What we’re finding to be the defining characteristic of our beers is this marriage of protein and hop oil saturation. What’s happening is that those two are binding. You have this hop oil stuck in suspension and when you pour it into a glass, you’re tasting the hop oil.

We’re spending a lot of money on hops, and if these hops are going to drop out, it feels like you’re wasting money. That’s the beauty of the New England-style IPA, and that’s why that style is blowing up across the nation. I’m not a hop scientist, but this is just my observation from making it over and over again. It’s not something that we’re keeping a secret: People know you’re using flaked wheat or oats and leaving those hop oils in suspension. It’s like a hefeweizen: That’s not cloudy because of the yeast; it’s because of the wheat.

It always is weird to me when I read "news" that is all about something I became familiar with literally years ago. The newest issue of Brew Your Own magazine had a "new" kind of IPA on the cover. I picked one up thinking "oh great, what now?" Turns out they just wrote some piece on what new popular breweries have been doing for the past 3 years

It always is weird to me when I read "news" that is all about something I became familiar with literally years ago. The newest issue of Brew Your Own magazine had a "new" kind of IPA on the cover. I picked one up thinking "oh great, what now?" Turns out they just wrote some piece on what new popular breweries have been doing for the past 3 years

Maybe you're just the hippest cat around, man.:fro:

I tried making an IPA similar to your Wild Fellers recipe, btw. I used wlp644 instead of the Brett. It isn't cold or fully carbed, but it's definitely lacking the fruit punch I was hoping for. It has some strawberry and white wine notes, but it's missing that Brett magic! I may try adding some extra Citra to the keg... I think that for non-Brett batches, subbing Nelson for the Hallertau Blanc would yield better results

Hey all, just wanted to post the results of my latest brew. This beer was inspired by Lights On! and used the actual Tree House yeast. I don't believe the yeast to be 1318 on the account that I believe it will clear in a few days despite having 10% wheat.

20160720_194741.jpg

I was lucky enough to get 8 cans of Julius from the brewery. Definitely very citrus in aroma and flavour. The biggest thing I noticed though is that its not that bitter. I don't think the IBU's are any more than maybe 50.

The brewery use to claim 70ish calculated IBUs, and someone got Julius lab tested and it came out to 58 measured IBUs.

for God's sake, man! let us know how it tastes! :D

The yeast is definitely providing what's been lacking in all of my past clone attempts. It does that fruity, peachy, mango thing that all of the Tree House beers seem to do. I fermented around 66-68 ambient temp with an overpitch (it's just what I had and I wasn't even sure it would live). Next time I'm going to underpitch and push it around 72F and see if that intensifies the yeast contribution. I put some more pics and stuff in my blog below if you're interested.

I'd be curious to do a split batch to compare the same beer with 1318, 1056, 007, Conan, and this Tree House yeast. Though 1318 is good, I don't think that's the yeast. 1056 plays nice with these styles, but it does't do the peachy thing. I've used Conan and it's close.

If I had to guess, I'd say Tree House's yeast began life as Conan and has since mutated to what it is.

I swear, some of the beers I've been having at Aslin can attribute quite a significant amount of "hop" flavor to yeast like Conan exploding with fruit flavors. I've heard the best way to get the heavy fruit is to start cool (like 63) and ramp up after 3 or 4 days. have you heard similar?

I swear, some of the beers I've been having at Aslin can attribute quite a significant amount of "hop" flavor to yeast like Conan exploding with fruit flavors. I've heard the best way to get the heavy fruit is to start cool (like 63) and ramp up after 3 or 4 days. have you heard similar?

I've tried starting it at 62 and ramping slowly to starting it at 65 to starting it at 67. I've never gotten fruit.

This is my first time getting fruit on the yeast. I tasted the decanted liquid coming off the starter and it was very belgian-esque.

This is my first time getting fruit on the yeast. I tasted the decanted liquid coming off the starter and it was very belgian-esque.

Saw your beer on Tree House Facebook page. Loved it. Great color, I but the taste and aroma are dynamite!

Hey all, just wanted to post the results of my latest brew. This beer was inspired by Lights On! and used the actual Tree House yeast. I don't believe the yeast to be 1318 on the account that I believe it will clear in a few days despite having 10% wheat.

20160720_194741.jpg

Boy that lighting makes it look so damn tasty.....

sorry aswell, can i ask forthe recipe you used?

I've tried starting it at 62 and ramping slowly to starting it at 65 to starting it at 67. I've never gotten fruit.

I as well have never really gotten that pronounced fruit/peach thing from conan. When I initially got my yeast, OLY-52, the very first starter I made I couldn't believe it, there it was that amazing peach aroma, but every generation since, nothing like that starter. I like conan, I find it to be a good yeast, I think it actually adds some body without getting to estery and it attenuates well the more generations it gets used, I prefer it over say 05 or 001 when I want a "cleaner" yeast profile but not something totally neutral. I start in the 62-64 range and let it go up to 68 then I usually move the carboy at the tail end of primary so it hits 70-72 to let it clean up for a couple days.

I've had beers from breweries that reportedly use Conan, and sometimes the peach smell/flavor is almost too much. I have to wonder how the hell they're doing it

I'm going to purchase a heater belt and an inkbird temp controller to experiment. I want to push this yeast on the hot side as well as the cold side and see what effects it produces on the peachy flavors.

I've had beers from breweries that reportedly use Conan, and sometimes the peach smell/flavor is almost too much. I have to wonder how the hell they're doing it

My thought is they are bringing out the esters somehow. In my limited experience with Conan, I did get a lot of peach aroma/flavor when I used it.

I have a temp controlled fermenter that usually overshoots the temp by a degree. So if I set it at 65, it kicks on at 67 then cools off to 64. This is a narrow temperature range but if you think about it 1° is about 15% of the temp variation, which is a lot. I think that temp swing might have something to do with it.

The other thing I did was pulled it out of the fermenter at about day 5 or 6 and let it sit at about 76 ambient with a towel around it. (I didn't have the fermenter space for it at the time) Anywhoo, I'd guess they are ramping up the temp pretty high at the end of conditioning to get all they can out of a low floccin yeast.

could also be slight variations in strain i guess. you never know exactly what yeast you are getting/using

I think that's true as well. As time goes by, the strain can take on different characteristics.

I'm going to purchase a heater belt and an inkbird temp controller to experiment. I want to push this yeast on the hot side as well as the cold side and see what effects it produces on the peachy flavors.

I think I've read here that when Conan gets pushed into the lower 70's during primary fermentation it gives of those Belgian type eaters, but I'm not ballsy enough to try to replicate that so I'm not sure at what temp the peach flavor slides in at. I'd think to low like keeping primary fermentation in the low 60's might lead to it stalling out. I also wonder like the other poster replied if it doesn't have something to do with the certain strain.

My thought is they are bringing out the esters somehow. In my limited experience with Conan, I did get a lot of peach aroma/flavor when I used it.

I have a temp controlled fermenter that usually overshoots the temp by a degree. So if I set it at 65, it kicks on at 67 then cools off to 64. This is a narrow temperature range but if you think about it 1° is about 15% of the temp variation, which is a lot. I think that temp swing might have something to do with it.

Well, I would assume it's then bringing out the esters. The temp swing is interesting, however. Maybe the up and down gets them to poop it out? That may make sense as to why my starters get it. I don't temp control them

I've always started Conan at 65 degrees, then ramp to 67, up to 70 and finish at 72.

do you get a lot of fruit flavor?

I do....I assume a lot of it is from the obscene amount of hops I use late and at dry but at the same time I have noticed some stronger peach flavors coming out once I started to mess with ramping the temp.

I typically do the following.

65-66 degrees days 1-4

67-68 degrees day 5

70 degrees day 6

72 degrees day 7

I get mine from The Yeast Bay. I've tried Barbarian from Imperial Yeast and had issues 2x in a row now....

REALLY? i just was about to order some too. I used the Omega DIPA yeast which is rumored to be Conan. I didn't get much peachy flavor though.

REALLY? i just was about to order some too. I used the Omega DIPA yeast which is rumored to be Conan. I didn't get much peachy flavor though.

Can't speak to the Omega as I try and source as close to Oregon as possible.

Imperial Yeast is about 20 minutes away from me and I can score it super fresh but I have absolutely had such crap luck with it I may have given up on them. I had to run and grab some White Labs 007 to save my last beer. I may give another strain of theirs a chance in the future cause I want to support local if I can but if I have issues I'm going to have to throw in the towel.

Before I had temp control I fermented a couple double sunshine recipes with Conan in darker spots of my house that had an ambient temp around 69-70 if that helps. Let me tell you it was a peach nose from a mile away if that's what you're looking for.

I do....I assume a lot of it is from the obscene amount of hops I use late and at dry but at the same time I have noticed some stronger peach flavors coming out once I started to mess with ramping the temp.

I typically do the following.

65-66 degrees days 1-4

67-68 degrees day 5

70 degrees day 6

72 degrees day 7

I just did something similar with Omega's DIPA Conan strain ... peach for days. About a year ago I did the same with ECY's and got no peach ... I think it depends which yeast generation/cells the boutique yeast supplier isolated IMHO.

I just used Conan for the first time in an IPA. Did a few days going from 66-68. Then raised it to 72, then down to 70 over a couple days, and back down to 66. Pulled a final gravity sample yesterday and the peach smell was outrageous. You could smell it across the room. This was after two dray hops or 3oz each as well.

It would be interesting to get some data on which strains people have used when they got the peach/apricot esters with Conan. I, for example, have not gotten any peach/apricot when I used WLP095 or Omega Yeast Conan strain.

I've used OMEGA DIPA as well as the actual Tree House yeast that I've cultured up from cans without any peach flavor. So far I've fermented them cool and at ambient temp both with and without starters. I recently got a temp control unit so I'm going to be experimenting with bringing the temps up near 68 and finish around 73.

So far, no coaxing out any of the peachy / melon esters out of the DIPA yeast but I have gotten SOME out of the Tree House yeast. As much as I want to say it's Conan, part of me wants to say it's a Belgian yeast. I'd love to see somebody ferment out my recipe using a Trappist blend and compare notes. My previous attempt on Julius was a few months back using Omega DIPA.

Anyone ever try wyeast 1968 in this type of beer. Just curious as it's another English strain like 007, 002, and even I believe the early start of Conan was English in nature. It may throw some of those fruity esters while attenuating like 1318 and leaving the fg a little on the higher side.

Back