Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wy1968 flocculates like crazy though. I doubt even with like 50% flaked wheat/oats it would leave you with a hazy beer

I can deal with no haze! I'd be curious with what the esters could produce. I'm going to try wlp 051 on a pale ale in the near future.

I used 1968 for a while in my hoppy beers. The above poster is right about dropping clear. That's the one thing I really liked about it; you can make a bright beer in short order. That said, the eater profile wore on me after a bit. It's got the British esters, but not what I would call anything approaching peach or apricot. It's more of a nutty or caramel fruitiness if that makes sense, not a bright fresh fruit character.

wy1968 flocculates like crazy though. I doubt even with like 50% flaked wheat/oats it would leave you with a hazy beer

Ok I wondered about this, I know lagunitas and 3 floods use this yeast. I'm assuming then wlp002 would prob have the same effect and appearance since they're allegedly the same strain. I'm super curious about how the Denny's yeast would perform and judging by old posts it's hazy and thick with a clean profile which I think would also work great to let the hops pop.

i just pitched WY1450/Denny's into a NEIPA. i've used it in an American Strong and it was super smooth mouthfeel and hazy. i hope it works well

i just pitched WY1450/Denny's into a NEIPA. i've used it in an American Strong and it was super smooth mouthfeel and hazy. i hope it works well

Keep us posted I just ordered some myself to use in an ipa I'm brewing next week.

I've yet to get that distinctive TH fruit character from using Conan, London III, wlp002. I'm wondering if they're using a blend with Brett Trois. Not likely but supposedly that yeast kicks out straight fruit flavors. I do know from culturing their yeast from a can, that it had a distinctive Belgian ester similar to Conan when fermented warm. I haven't been able to get any TH since Curiosity 26 but I definitely got those Belgian esters in it.

wy1318 can give intense peach/apricot. i used it once and got it

Yeah I just grabbed a pint of my latest IPA with Mosaic, El Dorado and Azacca and London III and got huge peach/apricot notes. More so than I've ever gotten from Conan. I guess it could be the hops too.

wy1318 can give intense peach/apricot. i used it once and got it

Yeah I just grabbed a pint of my latest IPA with Mosaic, El Dorado and Azacca and London III and got huge peach/apricot notes. More so than I've ever gotten from Conan. I guess it could be the hops too.

I think fermentation temp could play a role to get those aromas. What temp did you guys ferment at?

I use 1318 a lot in this style and I find it very fruity, tart and zesty.

I just got through using Dennys yeast in hop forward ipa's & it works well. Very smooth velvety texture. Kind of mutes the hop flavors a little though. Overall I was pleased just dry hop in keg for extra fresh hop forward flavor. I thought Dennys was far better than the Omega conan.

Its ironic that Conan is an old Brewtek strain as is Dennys. Plus the name Conan & dennys last name is "conn". Am I just overthinking this??

I've used Wyeast 1318 numerous times with great success in very juicy fruit ipas. My local homebrew shop was out of it the other day so I decided to give White Labs 023 Burton Ale yeast a try. I haven't used this yeast before so I was curious if anyone tried this yeast in this style of beer? It says medium flocc for some haze and quotes "fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear."

Alright so no one responded to the White Labs Burton Ale yeast but I'm going to brew it anyway Thursday and here's the recipe. Critique away...

6 lbs 8oz 2 row... 59.6%
2 lbs Maris Otter... 18.3%
1 lb Flaked Oat... 9.2%
1 lb Flaked Wheat... 9.2%
4 oz Crystal Malt 20L... 2.3%
2.4 oz Honey Malt... 1.4%

Little Hoppers
1 oz Citra 45 min
3 oz Citra Whirlpool 30 min
2 oz Meridian Whirlpool 30 min
2 oz Citra Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Meridian Dry Hop 7 days
3 oz Citra Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Meridian Dry Hop 3 days

I'm actually brewing 10 gallons of this for me and my buddies for week one of NFL Football (thank goodness it's back). Looking for an easy drinking not super high alcohol NE Style IPA. I am using White Labs Burton Ale in 2 different starters for each. 5 gallons will be these hops and the other 5 gallons will be Huell Melon (in place of Citra) and Wakatu (in place of Meridian). Same hop schedule as well.

Alright so no one responded to the White Labs Burton Ale yeast but I'm going to brew it anyway Thursday and here's the recipe. Critique away...

6 lbs 8oz 2 row... 59.6%
2 lbs Maris Otter... 18.3%
1 lb Flaked Oat... 9.2%

Little Hoppers
1 oz Citra 45 min
3 oz Citra Whirlpool 30 min
2 oz Meridian Whirlpool 30 min
3 oz Citra Dry Hop 3 days
1 oz Meridian Dry Hop 3 days

I'm actually brewing 10 gallons of this for me and my buddies for week one of NFL Football (thank goodness it's back). Looking for an easy drinking not super high alcohol NE Style IPA. I am using White Labs Burton Ale in 2 different starters for each. 5 gallons will be these hops and the other 5 gallons will be Huell Melon (in place of Citra) and Wakatu (in place of Meridian). Same hop schedule as well.

Sounds great! Love the hop amounts. In all honest, I'd simplify your grain bill. Just go straight 2-row, white-wheat instead of flaked. I didn't input the grist but what ABV are you shooting for? Looks light on amounts from a quick view. Also, to reduce more exposure, just do one massive dry-hop for 5 days. Simple is better.

My suggestions

6 lbs 8oz 2 row... 59.6%
2 lbs Vienna... 18.3%
2 9.2 Flaked Oat... 18%

Little Hoppers
1oz CTZ First Wort Hop
1 oz Citra Flame Out
3 oz Citra Whirlpool 30 min @170F
2 oz Meridian Whirlpool 30 min @170F
3 oz Citra KEG HOP
1 oz Meridian KEG HOP

I'm assuming this above is for a 5 gallon batch?

The key to this style is waiting for the yeast to drop out before drinking. Primary ferment until terminal gravity is reached + a few days for yeast to clean up, Transfer to keg, keg hop, cold crash 1-2 weeks, transfer to serving keg. Beer is usually bright (or as bright as it'll get) after a day or 2 in the serving keg. From there you can bottle or serve.

I'm going grain to glass in about 3 weeks using 1318 or 4 weeks using conan. I would not advise naturally carbonating these styles. If you must, closed transfer everything, purge everything with C02, and go to great lengths to not introduce oxygen to your beer.

I do....I assume a lot of it is from the obscene amount of hops I use late and at dry but at the same time I have noticed some stronger peach flavors coming out once I started to mess with ramping the temp.

I typically do the following.

65-66 degrees days 1-4

67-68 degrees day 5

70 degrees day 6

72 degrees day 7

Rookie home brewer here... Do you rack to your keg after the 7th day at 72 degrees?

Rookie home brewer here... Do you rack to your keg after the 7th day at 72 degrees?

you rack when fermentation is complete. trust your readings, not just days on the calendar. you don't want to put all this time and money into a beer and rack it early. for the most part however, that guideline will more or less ferment out a beer of this style but not always.

you rack when fermentation is complete. trust your readings, not just days on the calendar. you don't want to put all this time and money into a beer and rack it early. for the most part however, that guideline will more or less ferment out a beer of this style but not always.

Appreciate the info! I'm going to take a reading sometime today. If it is not ready, should I keep my temp at 72 or slowly bring it back down to 66?

Appreciate the info! I'm going to take a reading sometime today. If it is not ready, should I keep my temp at 72 or slowly bring it back down to 66?

Im going to assume if you're taking a reading then you've been fermenting away for some time now and you feel its pretty close to complete. If pretty close you should be able to keep your temp up while dry hopping.

Im going to assume if you're taking a reading then you've been fermenting away for some time now and you feel its pretty close to complete. If pretty close you should be able to keep your temp up while dry hopping.

Today will be the 8th day in primary. I am thinking about transferring it to my secondary after I get my reading today.Dry hop tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to keg it Sunday.

This is the recipe I brewed last week. This is my first all grain batch! The base recipe is from Nate's Hoppy Things recipe.

11lbs 12 oz 2 row
1 lb Flaked Oats
6 oz C60
4oz Honey Malt

1 tsp of Gypsum

1 oz Centennial @ 60 min
1 oz Amarillo @ 20 min
1 oz Citra @ 20 min
1.5oz Simcoe @ Flameout
1.0 oz Citra @ Flameout
1.0 oz Amarillo @ Flameout

Dry hop for 5 days

1.0 oz Amarillo
1.0 oz Citra
1.0 Simcoe

Using 1318 and the fermentation temps that grass feeder posted

I do....I assume a lot of it is from the obscene amount of hops I use late and at dry but at the same time I have noticed some stronger peach flavors coming out once I started to mess with ramping the temp.

I typically do the following.

65-66 degrees days 1-4

67-68 degrees day 5

70 degrees day 6

72 degrees day 7

I would suggest not transferring to a secondary and just dry hop with pellets in a bad in your primary. My beers have done much better since I have eliminated the unneeded step. eliminate as much exposure to oxygen as you can.

With that said, if you've already beet fermenting for 8 days you can absolutely dry hop right now, even if fermentation isn't 100% (which I bet it is).

Agree, don't bother with the secondary for these. I throw the first dry hop in during the tail end of active fermentation, and then the second dry hop in a few days later. Works really well. I'll usually do a quick cold crash to drop the yeast and hop residue down a little and then either keg or bottle.

First all grain batch and first time kegging my homebrew. Got a little excited and wanted to try it out after 24 hours of forced carbonation.

IMG_0964.jpg

First all grain batch and first time kegging my homebrew. Got a little excited and wanted to try it out after 24 hours of forced carbonation.

And how is it? Kudos to kegging I stil have a freezer I need to convert but just haven't bought the equipment yet. Was it an easy transition.

Congrats on your first all grain brew, looks really good. I just brewed my second beer, an extract, (newbie here). Someday....

BTW, I like the glass. I have a couple exactly like it.

I think your recipe is pretty good. It definitely contains Amarillo and Citra. I would double your drying hopping to 2oz Amarilo and 2 oz Citra. I didn't pick up any Simcoe when I tried the beer.

Why are you adding oats?

I used 30% Fawcett Oat Malt in a recent batch of NE IPA with favorable results. I recommend checking it out! CRAZY huge husks on there.

I used 30% Fawcett Oat Malt in a recent batch of NE IPA with favorable results. I recommend checking it out! CRAZY huge husks on there.

yea, it's good to double check your grain before you leave you LHBS. mine did not adjust the grind and I drove home with a bag of whole oats :smack:

The latest BYO magazine has a recipe for a Julius Clone, AG and partial w/ extract. Anyone planning on giving them a shot?

I need to go buy this issue. Really want to read about the process for it. Wonder how close it is to the general consensus of this thread (whatever that may be)?

Nope, it seems to be way off just by looking at it. I believe Julius to be Columbus, Amarillo, Citra. This recipe calls for Simcoe. I'm sure it would make a good beer, but definitely not Julius.

So here is my attempt at it.

For 5 gallons

10lb marris otter
2lb white wheat
2lb carafoam
1lb flaked oats
1oz mosaic (60)
1oz citra (5)
1oz amarillo (5)
2oz each citra, mosaic and amarillo (30 min whirlpool at 180)
2oz each citra, mosaic and amarillo (in primary on day 4 of fermentation)
2oz each citra, mosaic and amarillo (dry hop in purged keg)
Vermont ale yeast (Conan) from yeast bay

Brewed this last Friday. Missed my OG by a bunch. Got a new thermometer on my hot liquor keg and misread it. Mash in was only 147 degrees, not the 150 I wanted. So, my OG was only 1.056 instead of 1.068. Not tooooo upset. This is a trial run to help me dial it in. It's on day 3 of fermentation now. Going to add first dry hop tomorrow morning. Will post pic and findings along the way

It sounds great and has lots of penitential but 12 oz of dry hops is just so much for a batch that size. Have you had success with these amounts in the past?

Back