Treehouse Bright clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe.Conley

Reaction score
I read through the Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone thread and found the great fermentations clone recipe and brewed that using the ward labs mineral analysis, and we went to treehouse yesterday and picked some up for comparison and I think the results are very close:

0874DED1-F0B4-49D0-939E-BB6D5AFDB02A.jpeg

Mine has been in a keg for 3 weeks and theirs was bottled three days ago (and I had to bottle some from the keg to bring it on a plane to Massachusetts) so there may have been a slight difference in hop intensity just from the difference in age but it was very slight I think. Very much enjoy that beer and would brew again.

Now I’d like to brew a different style of theirs, Bright:

BRIGHT (Double IPA - 7.8 % ABV) - Bright was created to be a clean and elegant showcase for one of our favorite hops - Mosaic! It is crafted with a simple malt bill and fermented with clean American Ale yeast to create a flavor profile that is more a function of its vibrant fresh ingredients than an expression of yeast character. Bright’s aroma is a cornucopia of citrus dank… The taste follows suit with notes of grapefruit, sweet berries, and clementine with a gentle orange rind finish. She is dry, soft, and adequately bittered resulting in a very approachable yet pungent Double IPA.”

If I were to take the great fermentations Julius clone recipe as a starting point and change the yeast to Wyeast 1056/WLP001, double up on the mosaic additions instead of the citra, and up the ABV a point or point and a half, I think it would probably be quite close.

Anyone try this before, or have some thoughts?

Thanks!

I read through the Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone thread and found the great fermentations clone recipe and brewed that using the ward labs mineral analysis, and we went to treehouse yesterday and picked some up for comparison and I think the results are very close:

View attachment 733145
Mine has been in a keg for 3 weeks and theirs was bottled three days ago (and I had to bottle some from the keg to bring it on a plane to Massachusetts) so there may have been a slight difference in hop intensity just from the difference in age but it was very slight I think. Very much enjoy that beer and would brew again.

Now I’d like to brew a different style of theirs, Bright:

BRIGHT (Double IPA - 7.8 % ABV) - Bright was created to be a clean and elegant showcase for one of our favorite hops - Mosaic! It is crafted with a simple malt bill and fermented with clean American Ale yeast to create a flavor profile that is more a function of its vibrant fresh ingredients than an expression of yeast character. Bright’s aroma is a cornucopia of citrus dank… The taste follows suit with notes of grapefruit, sweet berries, and clementine with a gentle orange rind finish. She is dry, soft, and adequately bittered resulting in a very approachable yet pungent Double IPA.”

If I were to take the great fermentations Julius clone recipe as a starting point and change the yeast to Wyeast 1056/WLP001, double up on the mosaic additions instead of the citra, and up the ABV a point or point and a half, I think it would probably be quite close.

Anyone try this before, or have some thoughts?

Thanks!

This beer is most likely 2row with a bit of Carafoam and that’s about it.

Bright is dryhopped after fermentation and they use dextrose to boost the ABV. I’d say Mosaic @ 30/5/WP.

1.5-2oz/gallon DH

The Great Fermentation’s Julius clone won’t get you close to this or Julius for that matter.

This is what I'm trying now, looked like it actually finished at 1.010, dry hopping tomorrow for 3 or 4 days. Not sure if they have other hops in there besides Mosaic, but put a little bit of Simcoe in there just in case a single hop wouldn't be complex enough. It would be nice to have some Bright to compare it against, but I don't think they've released any original style for well over a year.
2021-08-09_07h18_22.png

This beer is most likely 2row with a bit of Carafoam and that’s about it.

Bright is dryhopped after fermentation and they use dextrose to boost the ABV. I’d say Mosaic @ 30/5/WP.

1.5-2oz/gallon DH

The Great Fermentation’s Julius clone won’t get you close to this or Julius for that matter.

Thanks for the insight, I adjusted my recipe with that in mind.

Do you have any suggestions for what you would do to the GF recipe to make it closer to TH?

Thanks!

19251951-BA94-492F-BC36-CA56EB824C60.jpeg

ok just had the first glass of this carbonated and it is very good, I’m very pleased.

Back