Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds great and has lots of penitential but 12 oz of dry hops is just so much for a batch that size. Have you had success with these amounts in the past?

Never did one with this much dry hop. Got the idea from another recipe posted here, saying he used 20oz and it was very juicy like Julius. I am considering cutting the keg hop to 1oz each

Never did one with this much dry hop. Got the idea from another recipe posted here, saying he used 20oz and it was very juicy like Julius. I am considering cutting the keg hop to 1oz each

Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it. I'm actually curious to see how it turns out. I've added as much as 8 oz before but I have noticed an increase in IBUs at that level so just beware of that as well

My IPA's are bursting with aroma with 1oz dry hop per gallon. Don't forget the Tree House recipe has to be commercially viable.

I find their Julius Is not that bitter, so I think they only use late hoping only.

I only used 1oz as a bittering hop. Everything else was 5 minutes, whirlpool or dry, so I don't think it will be too bitter. Added the 6oz today, the 4th day of fermentation. Got definate peach aroma when I opened it. Smelled great. This really is just a base to see how close I get, and will make adjustments accordingly

The BYO recipe seems a bit off, only in the sense that it calls for 8 mL of HopShot plus five ounces of whirlpool hops, yet says just 75 IBU.
Am I mis-judging that?
At 1.061, shouldn't 8 mL of HopShot alone be 80 IBUs?

I only used 1oz as a bittering hop. Everything else was 5 minutes, whirlpool or dry, so I don't think it will be too bitter. Added the 6oz today, the 4th day of fermentation. Got definate peach aroma when I opened it. Smelled great. This really is just a base to see how close I get, and will make adjustments accordingly

The 5 minute addition is where I have found my happy place as well. :tank:

Transferred to a purged keg today. Here is a pic of the sample. Smells like Julius. Cloudy but not muddy. Gravity went from 1.054 to 1.010. Drier than I wanted, but tastes pretty damn good. Decided not to keg hop because I think it's close. Still fermenting a bit, so going to let it stay around 68-70 for a few more days before cold crashing

image.jpg

Transferred to a purged keg today. Here is a pic of the sample. Smells like Julius. Cloudy but not muddy. Gravity went from 1.054 to 1.010. Drier than I wanted, but tastes pretty damn good. Decided not to keg hop because I think it's close. Still fermenting a bit, so going to let it stay around 68-70 for a few more days before cold crashing

Nice color! Which recipe did you use?

Nice color! Which recipe did you use?

10lbs Maris otter
2lb white wheat
2lb carafoam
1lb flaked oats

1oz mosaic at 60. No bag
1oz citra and Amarillo each at 5
2oz each mosaic, citra and Amarillo for 30 minute steep at 180^
2oz each mosaic, citra and Amarillo dry hop on 4th day of fermentation

Yeast bay Vermont ale yeast (Conan)

Fermented 10 days at 66

10lbs Maris otter
2lb white wheat
2lb carafoam
1lb flaked oats

1oz mosaic at 60. No bag

Fermented 10 days at 66

2 lbs of carafoam, 2 lbs of wheat and 1 lb of flaked oats and it is 1.010??

2 lbs of carafoam, 2 lbs of wheat and 1 lb of flaked oats and it is 1.010??

Checked it twice. Strange. And I didn't want it that dry. I like my IPAs a bit on the malty side. Didn't expect it with Conan, a historically low to med attenuating yeast.

Checked it twice. Strange. And I didn't want it that dry. I like my IPAs a bit on the malty side. Didn't expect it with Conan, a historically low to med attenuating yeast.

That's in line with conan. I usually have an OG of 1.055-1.06 for my IPAs and it finishes out at 1.010-1.012 just about every time.

I try to target between 1.014 and 1.016 for FG with this style. I've finished as high as 1.019 and it was still excellent. Had I about halfed my contributions of c10, it would have been spot on.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed it's that low, and still fermenting a bit. Tasted great and close to Julius, so happy about that

10lbs Maris otter
2lb white wheat
2lb carafoam
1lb flaked oats

1oz mosaic at 60. No bag

Fermented 10 days at 66

fwiw, I don't think Julius has mosaic in it because alter ego does and is advertised as the same malt bill but different hops.

^thank you! I've always found simcoe and mosaic so similar that I can't imagine both of them are in there... Especially for how juicy it is. With both of those making up more than half of the bill it feels like it'd be too resiny/dank

When I first saw this recipe I was surprised to see no Amarillo in it, since a lot of people get orange from that hop. It's been awhile since I had Julius but everyone says how it smells and tastes like orange juice. If you remember the old cans and labels, it did have an orange on it. I've also found El Dorado to be very orangey. So I decided to brew something that I thought would give me a lot of orange and I added in a hop that will lend some tropical fruit to play along.

Here's what I did and I find it to be like drinking pulpy orange juice. It's very delicious.
2:1 Amarillo:Galaxy in WP
2:1 El Dorado:Galaxy in round 1 DH
1:1 Amarillo:Galaxy in keg hop

No bittering addition in this beer and it still has a good bit of bitterness I feel. I do WP for an hour beginning at 175*.

I doubt it's the hops recipe but it accomplished what I wanted and did come out very orange juicy.

When I first saw this recipe I was surprised to see no Amarillo in it, since a lot of people get orange from that hop.

I think that orange aroma can be get from yeast. London Ale III is described in hoppy beers give strong orange esters (unlike conan which gives peachy aroma). Anyway i did yesterday NE IPA, with 1318 and mix of amarillo, mosaic and citra - around 12 oz for whirlpool and dry hop. Also in NE style is good to add some hops during primary fermentation - some yeasts can transforme oils from hops (conan, 1318)

Alchemist's Focal Banger, Foundation's Epiphany, Rock Art's Limited Access, Trillium's Sleeper Street

Have you tried 1318? Mine always go from about 1.064 to 1.016.

I haven't tried it yet. I wanted to try Conan. I'm going to make some tweeks to get it closer to Julius, then Do a 10 gallon batch and use Conan in one fermenter and another yeast in the other

Make sure you use a good source of conan. I normally use my heady topper strain, but the "vermont ale" from yeast bay is good stuff. I've also heard great things about imperial organic!

Make sure you use a good source of conan. I normally use my heady topper strain, but the "vermont ale" from yeast bay is good stuff. I've also heard great things about imperial organic!

Are you talking about the Barbarian strain? Anybody on the forum used any Imperial Organic?

I used Yeast bay Vermont ale yeast. Washed it and waiting to use it soon. Just sampled my clone attempt. Used 2oz each Amarillo, citra and mosaic at day 4 in primary. Tasted really good, but wanted a bit more. So I did the same in the keg. Too much for Julius. Still tastes really good, just heavy handed for the clone. Will probably do 3/4 each in the keg next time

Latest posts

Back