Making the Juiciest NEIPA possible..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarathustra

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to brewing and looking for some feedback on parts of this recipe before I brew it. Feel free to rip things. BTW this was inspired by Abbey Homebrew's Mango Lassi IPA

To me the sour citrus/grapefruit flavor goes great with the crisp and refreshing West Coast IPA. For a softer NEIPA, I prefer sweet tropical fruit (mango, pineapple, peach), which was the inspiration for this recipe. I've had experience with some NEIPA's being too dank for my taste. I had Lost Souls from Evil Twin Brewing which was brewed with Simcoe, and all I could taste was onion/dankness.

So I threw out Citra for Galaxy to get rid of some dankness and threw in Azacca for more of that pineapple/sweet tropical fruit taste. I want it to be thick, like juice and still pretty sweet. The Tropical IPA OYL-200 yeast is about 85% attenuation which I guess creates a pretty dry beer? So I included lactose to increase mouthfeel and give it some sweetness. I'm also hoping to get kind of a sweet tart flavor with the yeast, reminiscent of fresh fruit.

I know the estimated FG is still really high, but I want it thick kind of like mango juice. I was thinking about leaving out the maltodextrin. I guess a question I have is about what side effects are there to having a high FG? Especially if you hit the desired ABV?

Summary:
· OG: 1.075
· FG: 1.025
· ABV: 6.7%
· SRM 6.4
Grain Bill:
· 9lb Golden Promise
· 1lb Flaked Wheat
· 1lb Flaked Oats
· 0.5lb Melanoiden Malt
· 1lb Lactose (5min left in boil)
· 1lb Maltodextrin (5min left in boil) Thinking about leaving this out
Hops:
· 1.5oz Galaxy Whirlpool
· 4oz Azacca Whirlpool
· 2oz Galaxy Dry Hop
· 6oz Azacca Dry Hop
Yeast:
· Omega Yeast Labs - Tropical IPA OYL-200 (85% attenuation)
Fermentation:
· Add dry hops at 70-75% completed attenuation. Only 1 dry hop to reduce effects from oxidation.
· Add 2lb frozen and thawed sliced mango at the same time as the dry hops to again reduce oxidation
· Dry hop and fruit will sit for 4-6 days
· Bottle

Looks good overall, here a just a few thoughts...

• Grain: I'm not too familiar with using melanoiden malt in this style. Often times you will find ~5% wheat though. I would go with your gut and leave the maltodextrin out. In my opinion you don't need a super high FG to get that juicy body, the oats and lactose will do their job there.
  • Hops: Galaxy Azacca is a pretty good combo that I've used in the past. I'd lean closer to 50/50, since I've done all Azacca before and it was a bit earthy. If you want to play it safer, Citra Mosaic is the easy button (and what Tired Hands uses in their Milkshakes).
  • Fruit: I've used 5 lb frozen and thawed mango in a NEIPA and it imparted a very subtle flavor. I expect you won't get much of anything from 2 lbs.
  • Bottling: Minimizing oxidation here is going to be your biggest obstacle unfortunately, I was never able to make a great IPA until I started kegging.

Back