Triple NE IPA (Ex Novo clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxsteve

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for some feedback on a recipe I'm putting together to clone a beer I had recently by Ex Novo, called BWA. This is a hazy New England style Triple IPA with "Simcoe, El Dorado, Mosaic, Mandarina Bavaria, and a insane amount of Citra, 7lb/bbl of hops, ABV 10.5%, IBU 100". Unique beer and really one of the best I've ever had. So I'm thinking of a recipe that merges the principles of a triple IPA and the style of a NE. Instead of Simcoe, I'm using Pacific Jade because I have some left over and I like spicy tropical citrus instead of the earthy pine in a NEIPA.

Boil Time: 90 min
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.100
Final Gravity: 1.020
ABV (standard): 10.48%

15 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (74.3%)
1.5 lb - United Kingdom - Oat Malt (7.4%)
2.5 lb - Cane Sugar (12.4%)
6 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (1.9%)
6 oz - Flaked Oats (1.9%)

1) Infusion, Temp: 145 F, Time: 60 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 30 min
3) Sparge, Temp: 168 F, slow sparge out

I've read that these huge beers do better if you hold some of the sugar back for a day and feed it in with extra yeast, so I plan to make a little starter and put some of the cane sugar in with the extra starter at 24 hrs.

0.1 oz - Pacific Jade @ 60 min
1 oz - El Dorado, @ 15 min
2 oz - Citra, Whirlpool
2 oz - Mandarina Bavaria, Whirlpool
1 oz - Mosaic, Whirlpool
1 oz - Pacific Jade, Whirlpool
2 oz - Citra, Dry Hop @ day 2
1 oz - El Dorado, Dry Hop @ day 2
1 oz - Mosaic, Dry Hop @ day 2
4 oz - Citra, Dry Hop @ day 7

I'm sure there's some benefit to spreading out the DH additions but I had a bad experience with a contaminated batch once trying to divide into 4 dry hops, so now I prefer to limit the times I open the carboy.

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A38 Juice
Fermentation Temp: 60F for 1 day, then ramp up over 4 days to 68 F
Pitch Rate: 1.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Brewed last week, and mostly went well but ended up with an OG of 1.070, argh. This is a terrible brewhouse efficiency, much worse than my usual 75-80%, but the same thing happened the last time I tried a big high gravity IPA. I aimed to mash low at 145 for 60 min before ramping up to 154 for 30 min, but my converted igloo mash tun seems to have a hard time reaching the right temps using the usual calculations. Strike temp 161 only gave me a mash temp of 135, which slowed down the whole process while adding some boiling water. Same problem for the second mash temp. I'm thinking a single mash step might be more reliable. The other issue is that I sparged for a target 8.3 gal in the kettle, and ended up with close to 7 gal at end of boil, which was too much for the fermentor... wasted wort.

On another note, I heard back from the brewer at Ex Novo today, and my recipe was way off. They use 45% 2-row, 45% pilsner, and small quantities of Munich, flaked wheat, acidulated, and sugar. Hop schedule was about right.

The initial fermentation on this was a monster... huge blow off, probably lost half a gallon in overflow!:smh:

bwa.jpg

So I have been looking into a NEIPA recipe that is in the 10% range and yours was one of the first I have seen. How did it go?

So I have been looking into a NEIPA recipe that is in the 10% range and yours was one of the first I have seen. How did it go?
Yep, it was a tasty beer, though not exactly what I had intended. Hit 8.7% ABV instead of the 10.5% I was aiming for. I dried it out to FG 1.004 so it wasn't the attenuation, it was the terrible efficiency up front. I've run into this problem using the igloo mash tun a few times and am compensating with a lower estimated efficiency for recipe calculations, and a longer first mash step.

I would recommend going with the real brewer's recipe rather than mine, and boost it.

Brewed last week, and mostly went well but ended up with an OG of 1.070, argh. This is a terrible brewhouse efficiency, much worse than my usual 75-80%, but the same thing happened the last time I tried a big high gravity IPA. I aimed to mash low at 145 for 60 min before ramping up to 154 for 30 min, but my converted igloo mash tun seems to have a hard time reaching the right temps using the usual calculations. Strike temp 161 only gave me a mash temp of 135, which slowed down the whole process while adding some boiling water. Same problem for the second mash temp. I'm thinking a single mash step might be more reliable. The other issue is that I sparged for a target 8.3 gal in the kettle, and ended up with close to 7 gal at end of boil, which was too much for the fermentor... wasted wort.

On another note, I heard back from the brewer at Ex Novo today, and my recipe was way off. They use 45% 2-row, 45% pilsner, and small quantities of Munich, flaked wheat, acidulated, and sugar. Hop schedule was about right.

The initial fermentation on this was a monster... huge blow off, probably lost half a gallon in overflow!:smh:

View attachment 546814
I would definitely get a bigger blow off container.

Back