The Quest for the Perfect session NEIPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHans

Reaction score

I have been experimenting for a while now to find a good balance for a seasonable NEIPA.
And I will continue doing so. At what ABV would you consider A session NEIPA to be? I'm thinking at least under 5% ABV.

I have been trying to brew something like this for awhile with limited success. I’m shooting for a beer in the 4% range, and so far it has been challenging. This las batch I made ended up using 20% of carahell in the grist to help up the malt backbone, however I’m not sure that the color is appropriate (still in the fermenter now). What does your recipe look like?

I have been experimenting for a while now to find a good balance for a seasonable NEIPA.
And I will continue doing so. At what ABV would you consider A session NEIPA to be? I'm thinking at least under 5% ABV.

Idk that’s a good question especially with NE style Pales being made. I would side with you. NEIPA would be 6.0%+, NE PALE 4.8-5.9%, and I would say session would be anything under that.

Now that being said, my session ipas are really simple; 82.5%pale malt(Pilsner or 2row), 15% wheat or oats malt, 2.5% honey, cara Munich, or Biscuit malt (any 20-30L grain). I typically still mash 153*f and target a 1.010-1.014 fg. Some people think a session should finish lower so that it actually is a lower calorie beer but I still want the flavor and body of a typical NEIPA but just lower abv

Just tasted mine in the fermenter and it’s a bit watery (O.G. was 1.036 because my efficiency took a hit probably due to the shorter than usual mash time. Target OG Was 1.041). Fermented with A44 Kveiking at 94f and it tastes a bit yeasty. Gonna dry hop it and see how she goes. Recipe:

-Barke Vienna 30%
-Bohemian Pils 30%
-Carahell 20%
-Flaked oats 15%
-Flaked wheat 5%
-Wyeast Nutrient
-dosed with pure O2

mashed at 160f for 40 minutes then mashed out at 169f for 10 (I experienced a significant hit to efficiency possibly due to this short mash; iodine tested negative for starch)
Water profile:
-Ca 109 ppm
-Mg 13.2 ppm
-So4 103 ppm
-Cl 155 ppm
PH 5.5 (shooting for a higher PH because of the Kveik)

All hops were added to kettle at 180f as it was cooled to 94 (no stand at 180, I just continued to cool)
-2oz El Dorado
-0.5oz Centennial
-0.5oz Columbus

Pitched half a packet of Imperial A44 Kveiking blend at 94f and fermented at 1bar until terminal gravity. Soft crashed to 60f and will add dry hops soon:
-1oz El Dorado
-1oz Centennial
-1oz Columbus

Even if this recipe sucks I’m glad to post it so others know what DOESN’T work. One thing to note is that this one did not turn out overly bitter as my other attempts have (those typically had a WP stand for 20 minutes at 180 or 170), but we’ll see what the dry hop brings to the party. Dr Hans can you share your recipe that you liked please? I think a 4% session NEIPA is possible, but it’s going to take some trial and error. I will try to post my other “failed” attempts soon.

Maybe you need a bit higher OG. I found that it also helps a bit by pushing the Co2 up a little higher than normal.
I made another one at 3.7 which is nice but i prefer the on at 4.9% i made

Maybe you need a bit higher OG. I found that it also helps a bit by pushing the Co2 up a little higher than normal.
I made another one at 3.7 which is nice but i prefer the on at 4.9% i made
This is carbing up right now. I decided to add 3 oz of dry hops in the keg (1 each of Columbus, El Dorado, and Centennial). What volume do you recommend carbing it to? In the past I have found that my lower gravity beers benefit from lower carbonation as well, but if you have had different results I'm willing to give it a try. I'll try to post pics / results when I get back from this work trip.

xu01qkhgMvNlPjTXOwUXA_SjvWhuOJGPpOzvMR0TQjzRaELnes5tXIstwWjj4bCgkW92nqmtTkSRw-wITMZTPnJdn0RL5Ta5bboXybQ8un2EPEU7ebgFcOxXbY-0FEcAb_UBCu9ItaNVCJt0TFTFEpN2jzvm1B9WSf7muW2h_JueUYphxcUGtFmp5CuHZKxyLMiwKaLXyqNm1AhxO3Mb15C0vdP-HfjrrrFDsmS0t8LKWOvO40Xa0Iq4vdWgbT9v9x_bLv5ZIaldHd5eb_l7tT0BkUnVndGy9g-bH-7UK2_qKdpbQO6i9j2YOMRmwA96QZXdfd-amtDRWEQyBuckkjnZbVFaPhvBo00L9HuzKnqEEofYdn-HxU3M6OxZy_ssa_3wltvjObEpc46eY7dEZ85lkgp3EMf299YIU6KRyTtq20vblAIOO3RFAOaDz8GBaMxzNBwwxhBMVtk2rpknTkM6coQMa8Yn2_UP3JoDMcrk0xPxer-mHeCD6hfmB0CCoQSlV-nUbJJjQkLvychb_UiaDjwnpZl5JLRfpy2ONkQUsEQYDCbolDKwsIVAiWSjPW0WFXiNCIiVAmBMU5bIpdW8AQopH2ZK-zL9XItfSslN70QthfqrGTkhbC2AxZORGht7O4Rfsz3itNP9OMdcWR2HJ0nIEDDPOJ4usQR6HdnW9tsCWKRYcBqIOjtdsw=w756-h1007-no

Here it is. I decided to add dry hops to the keg (1oz each Columbus, Centennial, El Dorado) to try and salvage this and it actually turned out pretty good considering it/s 2.8% ABV. Next time I brew this I will plan to up the OG considerably, but the malt bill seems like a winner.

I found that carbing session beers a little more than normal helps out. Now this is not a very low abv beer of course.

I just started trying to formulate one of these recipes. I am aiming for 4.3-4.7%. I have a pound of galaxy to consume. Anyone that wishes to point out how bad this may turn out, and why, I welcome the feedback on this ridiculous hop schedule.

Og will be about 1.051 using 100% wheat grain bill).
FG at 1.014ish

All galaxy below
2oz at 15
4oz at 2
4oz at flame out - will use IC to cool over ~20mins or so to pitching temp
6oz dry hop on day 3 (high kreusen)

Plan to use s33

Also, if anyone knows what type of water profile to use with Brewfather, lemme know. I can only find the American IPA vs a NEIPA so assume that only covers West Coast styles.

Back