Strange Bubble Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcatsclaws

Reaction score
Hello there,

First time wine brewer here. I have a weird situation and couldn't find any explanation on the net.

The problem is when I place the airlock, it starts bubbling approximately in 1 hour. It keeps bubbling for 3-5 hours. Then it stops, water in the airlock stays at the same levels on both sides. The temperature is stable at 23-25 degrees.

But I can feel that there's definitely Carbon dioxide inside while there's no visible bubbling at all. Because top of the the bucket lid is like a balloon. When I apply pressure there air comes out through the airlock.

My theory is that pressure inside the bucket causes air leakage from the lid. At first the air comes only from the airlock because the pressure is not strong enough to escape elsewhere. But when time passes the pressure raises lid and air finds an alternative route.

This theory makes sense? Or you may have better explanation? Even if air finds a different leaking point, it should come out through the airlock too?

This happened twice, should I try third time to make sure? Is it ok to remove airlock and place it again shortly after?

PS: Excuse my English.

Last edited:
Your theory is 100% correct and no problem at all. Just ignore it and don't use the bucket for aging stuff for long time. For normal beer fermentation durations, it is fine even with the little air leak.

which airlock are you using? If its the type with the small tip that has 3 fingers ( i have no idea what to really call them ) molded into it , it may be clogged and causing the CO2 to be trapped. I had all kinds of trouble with those. either drill out those fingers or go with the open style airlock.

Your theory is 100% correct and no problem at all. Just ignore it and don't use the bucket for aging stuff for long time. For normal beer fermentation durations, it is fine even with the little air leak.

Thank you for backing up.

I did remove the airlock again and evacuated air insdide and put the airlock back. Waited 4 hours and nothing happened. And naturally I'm freaked. Then I thought of pushing the lid. I pushed it with my all strength (my palm still hurts)! And immediately bubbling began. So it's definitely the lid. After 5 hours it stopped bubbling again but I don't care anymore cause I am sure it's fermenting now. The cabinet also smells yeasty.

which airlock are you using? If its the type with the small tip that has 3 fingers ( i have no idea what to really call them ) molded into it , it may be clogged and causing the CO2 to be trapped. I had all kinds of trouble with those. either drill out those fingers or go with the open style airlock.

It's like this:

image_366_x700.jpg

Lid is where air leaks but airlock and high temperature (24-25) may be causing it. Co2 may be trapped inside the airlock and it will increase the pressure inside the bucket and air will unloose the lid.

If the lid was faulty, bubbling would never begin. I think airlock is not capable of evacuating enough air.

Anyway as long as it is fermenting I don't mind!

It's like this:

image_366_x700.jpg

Lid is where air leaks but airlock and high temperature (24-25) may be causing it. Co2 may be trapped inside the airlock and it will increase the pressure inside the bucket and air will unloose the lid.

If the lid was faulty, bubbling would never begin. I think airlock is not capable of evacuating enough air.

Anyway as long as it is fermenting I don't mind!
That is not correct. The lid does not close properly but during beginning of fermentation, so much co2 is being released that it squeezes through air lock and lid at the same time.

Later on co2 production slows down and the little resistance from the airlock becomes strong enough to force the co2 through the untight lid instead.

Had this happen to me
Airlock not clogged but lid bowed before airlock would bubble
It was weird
But, as long as I had verified no clog, as I detest cleaning spontaneous depressurized krausen krud off ceiling (SDK-squared, new acronym, tell all your friends), I was able to walk away and sure enough, I made beer.

brand new brewers here ~ followed everything by the instructions provided & our airlock is bubble free we are now on day 3 ~ do we open the lid, panic, pitch it & start over or what?
thanks ~ we used Brewer's Best Mosiac IPA.....

If you pitched year at a reasonable temperature it had been fermenting. Leave it alone for a week or longer.

If or when you open the link you should see the Krause ring remains on the fermenter walks just above the beer level. That will be a sign that fermentation had occurred.

Latest posts

Back