Airlock not bubbling but specific gravity dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_James

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to homebrewing. This is my second real batch.

I recently started an oatmeal stout (extract recipe) in primary fermentation. After 24 hours there was no bubbling in the airlock (it's a large three-piece airlock). I put some yeast nutrient in it to encourage it a little. After 36 hours, there is still no bubbling, but I took a specific gravity reading and it went from 1.076 to 1.022 in 36 hours. I'm using a food safe bucket instead of a glass carboy. The airlock is secured with a rubber grommet in the lid.

Is it normal for dark beers fermenting in +/- 68 degrees to ferment without bubbling? Do you think there are gasses escaping in places other than the airlock? If so, should I be concerned?

Airlock bubbles are not a reliable indicator of fermentation. SG dropping is a reliable indicator. Plastic buckets are notorious for leaking, and it doesn't take a large leak to allow all the CO2 generated by fermentation to bypass an airlock.

Brew on :mug:

Airlock bubbles are not a reliable indicator of fermentation. SG dropping is a reliable indicator. Plastic buckets are notorious for leaking, and it doesn't take a large leak to allow all the CO2 generated by fermentation to bypass an airlock.

Brew on :mug:
Thanks man!

Latest posts

Back