STOUT Fermentation - Salute a VET!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevenal

Reaction score
Stout in the bucket 13 days now.
This STOUT will be a big beer. A 5 gal batch made entirely from the first run off of 18 lbs of grain. It got its color from a bag of black in the boil. I used 3 oz of hops 60,10,5 min so it is bitter and has a distinct IPA charteristic. I have dubbed it Obsidian IPA.
Should finish around 9%. My concern is this, should I try to introduce air to it and close it back up for another week? I have no equipment so I would just splash it around.
Further, I bottle all my beer and understand bigger STOUT sometimes require additional time to ferment. With this in mind what is a good priming and conditioning strategy for a big STOUT, in the bottle? What temp. as well?

Thanks in advance
Happy Birthday Marines!
Vetrans of all battles, we honor you and recognize your scarafices and those of your families!

After 13 days in primary do NOT introduce air into the wort. It will get oxidized and you'll end up dumping it. Let it go until its otherwise ready for bottles. Bottle as normal, using the priming sugar calculator so you don't over carbonate it. Depending on what yeast you used, it can take more than the normal 3 week minimum at 70F to carbonate. Try one bottle after a month, chilling for a solid week. IF its ready, you're good to go. If not, give the bottles until the 2 month mark and try again. Repeat as needed.

Latest posts

Back