So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of shortening my boil times also - not quite down to 5 minutes, but maybe 45 on my next batch.

I often do 45-minute boils, even with pilsner malt. Never had a problem with it, just have to increase the bittering hops a little when moving them up from 60 minutes.

I've done a sour beer with no hops and no boil, and that turned out good. (a little weird, but good) This will be the first time I try a 5 minute boil and bitter it with hop tea. (it's supposed to be no-boil, but I want to sterilize the wort to make it less likely that I contaminate my expensive new yeast strain before I get a chance to harvest some. Next month I might try a real no-boil version like I've read about from Lithuania.

117FE855-451F-4807-98B1-B2B9BE9A76FF.jpeg
0B1EA586-98CF-4A94-BFAB-1ED118A4822F.jpeg
01F797D6-E846-40A6-AF07-86E97FA62DA8.jpeg

Brewed a Hefeweizen today. OG 1.049.

Did an acid rest and decoction, currently open fermenting at about 64F. I’ll raise it up to 67-68 Monday morning then seal it up.

I have a really good feeling about this. Praying for no rhino farts 😝

Will be brewing a Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH today. 6.4kg Vienna Malt, 150g Simcoe T90 and 75g Simcoe Cryo, fermented with Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast.

Aiming for 1.066 OG for a likely ABV of 7%

50IBUs, hopped with 15g evey 5 minutes from 20m, 40g T90 and 25g Cryo in the whirlpool, 50g each in the dry hop.

I "brewed" a cider with store bought juice. I love those 15 minute brew days. Lol
I add 4 oz blended ginger to 5 gallons apple juice to give it a bit more kick. I put together a batch yesterday after kegging 5 gallons of cranberry/raspberry cider and 2 gallons of dragon fruit cider. Today I'm planning on brewing 5 gallons of a GF SMaSH.

I add 4 oz blended ginger to 5 gallons apple juice to give it a bit more kick. I put together a batch yesterday after kegging 5 gallons of cranberry/raspberry cider and 2 gallons of dragon fruit cider. Today I'm planning on brewing 5 gallons of a GF SMaSH.
Ginger? Interesting. I am going to file that one away for future consideration. I will probably add blueberries to this batch at some point.

Advise needed.
Making a Pineapple IPA.
2 days of fermenting, like over 60+ bubbles per min on 2nd day.
Today, 3rd day, almost no action.
Its a 2.5 gallon batch & I've never brewed this early in Summer.
WLP550 yeast with temps around mid 70s in basement. 1.050.SG
Thanks ahead for the guidance & help
Joe P

Brewed my tried and true porter recipe on the 4th. Messed with my mill a bit beforehand to try to mitigate the efficiency issues from the last couple batches. Better, but not quite there yet. The design of the mill makes it difficult to measure the gap, so it's basically guess work.

I'll be brewing 4 gallons of wheat saison tomorrow: 4 pounds of pilsner malt, 4 pounds of unbleached white flour, Hallertau Tradition hops, Jovaru farmhouse ale yeast. No sparge. I'm going to do a very short boil, and use hop tea for bittering and flavor. I'll add a small amount of aroma hops to the kettle at the start of the boil.

If this short boil thing works, next month I plan to do a more traditional Lithuanian farmhouse ale with no boil. (I don't like boiling a big kettle of wort in the summer.)

Advise needed.
Making a Pineapple IPA.
2 days of fermenting, like over 60+ bubbles per min on 2nd day.
Today, 3rd day, almost no action.
Its a 2.5 gallon batch & I've never brewed this early in Summer.
WLP550 yeast with temps around mid 70s in basement. 1.050.SG
Thanks ahead for the guidance & help
Joe P
Joe, it is likely done, or close to it. give it the rest of the week and you should be good to go. :mug:

Last weekend I brewed a gose, I only had two pounds of Acid malt so may need some lactic acid addition to sour it a little more. I'm thinking about adding some apex Valencia orange and coriander flavoring when I put it into the keg this weekend. Anyone ever use them, not sure how much to use. Thanks :mug:

Made some improvements to the mash tun this week; added a footed false bottom, removed the domed false bottom, and switched my bent diptube from the BK to the MT. Domed false bottom went into the BK, with an eye to future commando hop additions. Also got a neat little spiral gizmo from my buddy to replace the CIP ball I've been using on the MT lid for recirculation; much shorter, and won't ever get clogged with flour (I mash in a bag). Pump ran MUCH faster, and it's currently recirculating without getting stuck. Brewing up my Citra/Sabro NEIPA today, tomorrow will do a WF lager as the pipeline is a little low.

Didn't get around to the WF lager last weekend, so might do that this weekend; as well as another batch of Strata Pale that I've done before. Husband is going out of town for a bowling tournament, so house to myself with nobody saying "you're brewing AGAIN???". Ahh, blessed silence.

Brewed an Altbier today at the city house. Since I can now keg here I did a 4 gal batch; even with a sparge 5 gallons is a stretch with my system (BIAB with an 8 gallon kettle and 5 gallon fermenters).

It’s been hot enough, long enough, that even the Yellowstone River has warmed up. I finally filled the tub in the guest bath with cold water and set the kettle in. Took a couple hours but did get the wort down below 70°. Racked on top of the cake from the Blonde Ale I kegged earlier today. The OG sample looked and tasted quite promising.
58437F6D-5D5C-4675-81A3-A4D43DBEB179.jpeg

Just milled the grain for tomorrow's BIAB WF lager batch. Since I had time in hand, I also conditioned the grain, something I've done a few times in the past, but I'm usually in too much of a hurry to do all the time; also my mill is motorized, with no way to reduce the RPM's, so everything has to be milled twice; once at 0.075, and once at 0.050 (if I got that wrong forgive me, it's late and I'm tired). This time I went a bit heavier on the spritzing, and the grain ran through so fast on BOTH passes (and came out looking fabulous, lots of intact hulls) that I'm kicking myself I haven't done it more. Looking for some improved efficiency tomorrow morning.

Ahh, blessed silence.

wait you don't have voices in your head?

and i'm thinking about brewing...not sure if i should, could use the folate and niacin in my diet, these sugar washes are kinda nutrient defcient....

who knows maybe i'll be singing sunday, monday happy days!

wait you don't have voices in your head?

and i'm thinking about brewing...not sure if i should, could use the folate and niacin in my diet, these sugar washes are kinda nutrient defcient....

who knows maybe i'll be singing sunday, monday happy days!
Yes I have voices in my head. Either they are telling me not to do what I'm about to do (they are smarter than I am), or we are having a lively discussion about what I plan to brew/improve the brewery/tell my coworker to eff off. Most of my DIY projects start with a lot of research, then talking to myself about how I can effect said DIY project with the tools I currently own/random parts lying around the garage. I'm a girl, not a particularly strong one. Not supposed to know how to use certain tools/do manly things. But my dad (in his prime was not a big or strong man) made sure I knew how to use every tool in the garage, and if I didn't have the brute strength to do something, figure out how to make it work with what I had. I have been known to use a toilet plunger to pry an alternator to the point I can get the belt off, because it's what I had available. I built my own ferment fridge, upgraded my kegerator by myself, and have taught myself how to do routine maintenance on my vehicles, build things I needed, and fix random things around the house. My husband isn't very handy (has no patience and gets frustrated when things aren't working right) but has no problem bragging about his homebrewing/DIY wife who has pretty much done all the upgrades needed to get where I am. Yep, TL;DR but I'm a handy wench.

(they are smarter than I am)
the voices in my head just pick on me, telling me they have more ass kissers then because they sell meth, or heroin or some crap like that, and brag about how many more ass kissers they have then my lowly homebrewing self...i usually tell them to suck it.....then it's back to geting pushed around stuff...me telling myself "damn it, i need a drink!"
I'm a girl, not a particularly strong one.
uh huh....that's levers and hydraulics come into play...you got a witty head!
but I'm a handy with a wrench.

Fixed that for You! ;)

honestly, you didn't help me to decide to brew sunday or monday though?

the voices in my head just pick on me, telling me they have more ass kissers then because they sell meth, or heroin or some crap like that, and brag about how many more ass kissers they have then my lowly homebrewing self...i usually tell them to suck it.....then it's back to geting pushed around stuff...me telling myself "damn it, i need a drink!"

uh huh....that's levers and hydraulics come into play...you got a witty head!

Fixed that for You! ;)

honestly, you didn't help me to decide to brew sunday or monday though?
Sunday one batch, Monday another (you do have two of those milk jug fermentation vessels right?)

You're welcome.

Sunday one batch, Monday another (you do have two of those milk jug fermentation vessels right?)

You're welcome.

well i got one lazy sugar wash almost ready for kegging...free up one of those milk pails, and fill two kegs. but the other milk can has another sugar wash in it right now..and plus although i do have some raw barley to sprout, i only have 20lbs already malted, and it takes a few days to sprout dry, kiln the stuff....

Tomorrow will be the next installment in my series of single-hop Pale Ales. I've done Galaxy, Strata, and Citra so far. This time will be all Mosaic; yes I know this hop has somewhat of a bad rap, but I really love it. Working from home today, plenty of time to get the garage reorganized, grain conditioned and milled, for a smooth brewday tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be the next installment in my series of single-hop Pale Ales.

Honestly, if the only thing I brewed was just Single Hop Pale Ales, I could be a happy man. There is so many good hops out there these days and they generally always produce an enjoyable beer with a bit of unique character. My last one was a Simcoe Pale Ale that I used Nottingham for the first time in many years. My only regret was that I made a 2.5 gallon batch instead of a 5 gallon batch.

My brew club is mashing in a cream ale at local brew pub this weekend and giving out free wort to anyone who wants it. So far only 8 have committed plus 17 interested. So I may be making 5 or 10 gallons Saturday afternoon. Trying to decide if I fire up the propane pot and the Anvil and attempt to do both at the same time. Hmm might be a recipe for disaster

Brewed an Adambier last night. It's very comparable to a barleywine or old ale, but a German Dortmund version of one. I tasted Hair of the Dog's Adam beer earlier this week to help me design the recipe. Key stuff I learned in researching this otherwise-dead style is that it gets its deep brown color and malt character not from roasted grains or dark crystal malts, but instead from Munich malt combined with a loooong boil. For mine I boiled 3 hours. It wasn't dark enough so I cheated by adding a couple ounces of Belgian D-180 syrup, that did the trick. It also contains a bit of smoked malt, not too much, I think I used like 8% of the grist. And on the side, I pulled a cup of wort into a jar and added Lactobacillus for some souring to be added later on. It will also have red wine-soaked oak added after the first few days of fermentation. I'm still debating whether I want to add Brett. Flip a coin. OG 1.073. I am using S-04 yeast which should be nice and clean and quick. OG/ABV could be higher, but I'm trying to turn around something drinkable in just 6 weeks for upcoming competition(s). Style guideline from Brewer's Association below, and an article about the Adambier style (I use Google Translate on it).

https://www.brewersassociation.org/edu/brewers-association-beer-style-guidelines/#58
https://braumagazin.de/article/adam/

Getting ready to brew my 5% American Wheat today. A few days ago I picked up my 12 lbs or so of grains and, at the time, thought the bag felt heavy. I ran them through my mill this morning and when I looked into the bucket there appeared to be way more than what 12 lbs should look like. Just weighed them. 20 lbs!!! LHBS is 30 miles away so I'm not going back just going forward. Is Imperial Wheat beer a thing? I'm guess I'm going to find out.
1FC45A8D-8DE5-4D49-A628-D97ED006CBCF.jpeg

Back