New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that around the 2nd week or so, mine really shine. I just "cold" dry hopped at 55 degree's with simcoe and I don't know if it's because of the temp...however I'm having the hardest time picking up on simcoe at all. However, it's my first time dry hopping with simcoe in the past couple of years so I don't have a baseline with that particular hop.

I tired to cold dry hop with 2oz pellets and 1 cryo simcoe in 4.5 gallons at 58 and it was completely unnoticeable. This was last fall and my first foray with cold dry hopping. I ordered some more on amazon to rescue it (gotta admit, though I mostly buy from YVH, the artisan hops brand, while more $ than YVH has provided me stellar hops each time I’ve ordered). Anyway I tossed another 3oz pellets and let the keg rise to room temp (65ish) for 3 days and man what a difference. Fruity and slightly piney. That was also the last time I’ll dry hop cold. I still soft crash to 58 or so theN Let it rise to 65 for 3 days, then crash again. It wasn’t intentionally hazy (grain was from the more beer single hop series, just 2 row, some c20 and carapils I think) but A15 Plus all that dry hop was decently hazy.

I experimented with simcoe a few times and really didnt get any fruit out of it(more pinel.
I suspect the fruity simcoe hopped beers might be handselected versions that are more fruitforward.
I will test some cryo to see if I can squeeze fruit of simcoe.
It’s absolute about being hand selected. Equilibrium and Grimm get simcoe from the same farm and they get pure orange sherbet. Grimm also gets hand selected centennial that’s cones off as candied citrus fruit.

One of my favorites from Other Half is an all Simcoe. Pineapple and orange sherbert. Hand selected hops, but damn, it’s a decent hop that’s kinda been left in the dust b/c of the other fruit flavored ones.

I was able to get some of those flavors with mine, probably because of the cryo dry hop. Nowhere near the pros though.

Well crap! This morning when I went to add my day 12 dry hops fermentation kicked back off! Never had it try and crawl out of the fermenter when adding the hops. Should I wait? Worried it’s gonna blow if I add dry hops. I did a 24hr soft crash down to 58 then slowly warmed back up to 70 so the hops would not fall to the bottom. Any suggestions?

It’s absolute about being hand selected. Equilibrium and Grimm get simcoe from the same farm and they get pure orange sherbet. Grimm also gets hand selected centennial that’s cones off as candied citrus fruit.
Do you happen to know which farm?

Do you happen to know which farm?
I do not. It was at a beer event and their rep was talking to us about it. Grimm is pretty open about things and they list farms from time to time in their beer discriminations so I’ll check through to see if I can find it

Well crap! This morning when I went to add my day 12 dry hops fermentation kicked back off! Never had it try and crawl out of the fermenter when adding the hops. Should I wait? Worried it’s gonna blow if I add dry hops. I did a 24hr soft crash down to 58 then slowly warmed back up to 70 so the hops would not fall to the bottom. Any suggestions?
Could just be co2 escaping the beer/trub as the beer warms

No, Co2 just bubbles straight up. It’s definitely fermenting and swirling up and down. Prior to attempting to add dry hops I dumped as much trub as possible so I’m guessing between that and warming up it kicked back off.

My question is should I attempt to add the hops? There is foam trying to come up through the co2 port. I have a Spike conical so that’s about 2 gallons of headspace of foam. I’m worried it’s going to foam over if I add hops.

I have Simcoe from quite a few different sources at the moment, some hand selected (not by me), some from YCH, some from Farmhouse... they’re all very different. When they’re picked and where they’re grown have a huge impact on them. I’ve also been told it’s the hardest hop to select and can change quite a bit with age. Know a brewery that won’t use theirs for up to 6 months after they get it.

I believe their are optimum dry hopping temps for certain hops. Some are colder, some are warmer. And it depends what you’re trying to get out of the hop. In my experience I’ve had better luck pulling out cleaner fruitiness from Galaxy and Mosaic at temps lower than 60. Less of the sweaty dank aromas at lower temps. Lower temps will also take more time.

I literally just dropped second dry hop addition 2oz each Simcoe/Amarillo. This time i allowed the actual hops warm up rather than throw them in straight from the freezer. Last time i did that they went straight to the bottom of the conical. My beer temp was about 69deg so i dropped it down to 65 and will prob start to lower 2-3 degrees for the next 3 days.

I'm also going to keg hop with an oz each except Amarillo cryo. Will report back in a week or so!

Only one data point, but it might be useful to some. I finally got a pH meter and just took my first reading on this recipe. I have always targeted a mash pH of 5.2 and my reading came in at 5.25. My two takeaways from this are 1) Bru'n Water is very accurate and 2) a mash pH of 5.25 works well for this style.

Currently brewing up this recipe:

12.5 lb 2 row
3 lb Flaked oats
0.75 lb Wheat
0.3 lb Honey malt

0.7 oz Warrior 60 min (28 IBU)
4 oz Mosaic whirlpool (30 min 170 degrees)
4 oz Mosaic dry hop
2 oz Amarillo dry hop
2 oz Vic Secret dry hop

Imperial Barbarian Gen 1

50:150 sulfate:chloride

the key question at present. how do you get amazing hop flavor without hop burn? dry hop warm with tons of hops and hop burn. dry hop cool with tons of hops and not necessarily the best hop flavors. load up the whirlpool instead of big dry hop, maybe but expensive. seems like the key to commercial success is getting ahold of the BEST hops available which means our endeavors will be random.

the key question at present. how do you get amazing hop flavor without hop burn? dry hop warm with tons of hops and hop burn. dry hop cool with tons of hops and not necessarily the best hop flavors. load up the whirlpool instead of big dry hop, maybe but expensive. seems like the key to commercial success is getting ahold of the BEST hops available which means our endeavors will be random.

In my experience... dry hop in large quantities at a relatively warm temperature and then patiently wait while the beer cold conditions without disturbing the keg. No hop burn after 2-3 weeks for the majority of NEIPAs, 3-5 weeks when I used too much Galaxy/Vic Secret/Idaho 7.

I have Simcoe from quite a few different sources at the moment, some hand selected (not by me), some from YCH, some from Farmhouse... they’re all very different. When they’re picked and where they’re grown have a huge impact on them. I’ve also been told it’s the hardest hop to select and can change quite a bit with age. Know a brewery that won’t use theirs for up to 6 months after they get it.

I believe their are optimum dry hopping temps for certain hops. Some are colder, some are warmer. And it depends what you’re trying to get out of the hop. In my experience I’ve had better luck pulling out cleaner fruitiness from Galaxy and Mosaic at temps lower than 60. Less of the sweaty dank aromas at lower temps. Lower temps will also take more time.
Man thats uncomforting to hear. So simcoe is one of those better smell it real good before dropping them.
I have to say I have the same experience with Amarillo. Every single time I used it, the last time was cryo I only got big grassy notes from it.
Dunno if I was unlucky but I def am not getting any fruit out of this hop either.

Man thats uncomforting to hear. So simcoe is one of those better smell it real good before dropping them.

I would say the same thing for every hop. Never had some that didn’t smell great going in produce something great in the glass.

Only good Amarillo I’ve ever found is the stuff from Bell’s. Nothing on the Homebrew scale has ever wowed me at all. Not even close.

You guys have any experience with dry hops loose? Going to give this a shot and see what happens.

IMG_9192.JPG

You guys have any experience with dry hops loose? Going to give this a shot and see what happens.

View attachment 667891

yup works great.. I’ve only ever used something similar to the one Scott Janish used to use but premise is similar.

I’d throw your hops in, seal, let fermentation purge it, push to keg after fermentation and yeast has flocced. Hit it with Co2 through liquid out a couple times then crash and transfer to another keg. If you’re lucky you might get enough hop creep to carb it.

View attachment 667891
That's how I do it now in all my kegs(primary fermenter and dry hop). I've never had any transfer issues unlike when I used the floating dip tube. I will sometimes wrap a mesh hop bag around the metal filter if it's an especially huge dry hop.

I just brewed 10 gallons which I whirl-pooled at 155 for 45 minutes with 8 ounces of Galaxy. Used A24 yeast. Split into two fermonsters with 5 gallons each. One will get 5 ounces of Galaxy for the dryhop, the other I want to try something different. I have the following 4 hops available. Hull Melon, Monroe, Vic Secret, and Dr Rudi. I have 2 ounces of each hop. Wondering what hop combination you all would recommend here.

Cheers,

Dennis

That's how I do it now in all my kegs(primary fermenter and dry hop). I've never had any transfer issues unlike when I used the floating dip tube. I will sometimes wrap a mesh hop bag around the metal filter if it's an especially huge dry hop.
Ive only brewed 5 beers total, so take this with a grain of salt but Ive absolutely loved the floating dip tube in the fermenter and have had no issues with transfer to keg. Just transferred my 4th beer today to a keg. I think the key to the floating dip tube systems are to make sure you have a solid cold crash to flatten hops,trub,dry hops prior to transfer. Ive gotten down to 38-40 degrees for all 4 of my beers prior to kegging and transferring has been a breeze. I do a gravity transfer. After setting both the fermenter and serving keg to 5PSI, and hook gas post to gas post - and liquid to liquid, it transfers very gently but admittedly it is slow (~45min-90min). I actually haven't put slits into the bottom of the dip tube yet which would likely speed the process up, but Ive found that the floating dip tube can suck pretty much all the beer in the fermenter with little waste because the longer dip tube length allows the floating dip tube to lay down on the trub rather than penetrate it. And it doesn't really suck much hop particulate at all into the keg. I took some pics of my kegging transfer today to show a friend just how much I can get out of the fermenter and not leave much liquid behind. Using the same methods, I also took a pic of the first keg Ive kicked to show very little (if at all) hop debris in the empty keg. Took to quick squishes with warm water to rinse it clean easily prior to doing the PBW clean.

FWIW: for my current setup, the fermenter never moves with wort/beer in it which liklely helps with flattening the debris to bottom. I roll my all-in-one foundry over to the fermenter and pump the wort in and pitch. Then when transferring I bring the keg to the fermenter. The first gravity transfer I tried I made the mistake of tilting the fermonster because it looked the dip tube was close to the dry hops at bottom and didn’t want to clog a poppet. But tilting it only disturbed the dry hops making a murky mess out of it and transferring less to keg than I anticipated. Ever since, I just let the dip tube lay on the trub/hop cake and since it’s a slow sucking/siphon action, I get no debris in keg and get nearly all liquid out easily as seen in pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6358.jpg
    IMG_6358.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6361.jpg
    IMG_6361.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6364.jpg
    IMG_6364.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6365.jpg
    IMG_6365.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6350.jpg
    IMG_6350.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6351.jpg
    IMG_6351.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I just brewed 10 gallons which I whirl-pooled at 155 for 45 minutes with 8 ounces of Galaxy. Used A24 yeast. Split into two fermonsters with 5 gallons each. One will get 5 ounces of Galaxy for the dryhop, the other I want to try something different. I have the following 4 hops available. Hull Melon, Monroe, Vic Secret, and Dr Rudi. I have 2 ounces of each hop. Wondering what hop combination you all would recommend here.

Cheers,

Dennis
My vote goes to Dr Rudi and Huel Melon!!

Ive only brewed 5 beers total, so take this with a grain of salt but Ive absolutely loved the floating dip tube in the fermenter and have had no issues with transfer to keg. Just transferred my 4th beer today to a keg. I think the key to the floating dip tube systems are to make sure you have a solid cold crash to flatten hops,trub,dry hops prior to transfer. Ive gotten down to 38-40 degrees for all 4 of my beers prior to kegging and transferring has been a breeze. I do a gravity transfer. After setting both the fermenter and serving keg to 5PSI, and hook gas post to gas post - and liquid to liquid, it transfers very gently but admittedly it is slow (~45min-90min). I actually haven't put slits into the bottom of the dip tube yet which would likely speed the process up, but Ive found that the floating dip tube can suck pretty much all the beer in the fermenter with little waste because the longer dip tube length allows the floating dip tube to lay down on the trub rather than penetrate it. And it doesn't really suck much hop particulate at all into the keg. I took some pics of my kegging transfer today to show a friend just how much I can get out of the fermenter and not leave much liquid behind. Using the same methods, I also took a pic of the first keg Ive kicked to show very little (if at all) hop debris in the empty keg. Took to quick squishes with warm water to rinse it clean easily prior to doing the PBW clean.

FWIW: for my current setup, the fermenter never moves with wort/beer in it which liklely helps with flattening the debris to bottom. I roll my all-in-one foundry over to the fermenter and pump the wort in and pitch. Then when transferring I bring the keg to the fermenter. The first gravity transfer I tried I made the mistake of tilting the fermonster because it looked the dip tube was close to the dry hops at bottom and didn’t want to clog a poppet. But tilting it only disturbed the dry hops making a murky mess out of it and transferring less to keg than I anticipated. Ever since, I just let the dip tube lay on the trub/hop cake and since it’s a slow sucking/siphon action, I get no debris in keg and get nearly all liquid out easily as seen in pictures

I've had to ditch using the floating ball. It takes FOREVER to transfer.

I would say the same thing for every hop. Never had some that didn’t smell great going in produce something great in the glass.

Only good Amarillo I’ve ever found is the stuff from Bell’s. Nothing on the Homebrew scale has ever wowed me at all. Not even close.
Sure but what I meant is, with citra and mosaic and other hard hitters you can rely on them as usually smelling great. With the other hops sounds like you have less chance of finding one that can be used for their fruity character.
Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook is another one for me. I heard Michigan Chinook is supposed to be more pineapple, all I ever got was sharp pine, even when using it as "biotrans." hop.
It is nice to see some awareness about this though and that some hop research is going towards researching terroir and we might see different labelled hops in the future coming from specific territories.

I've had to ditch using the floating ball. It takes FOREVER to transfer.
From a time perspective I totally agree. My gravity transfers are slow BIt they are uneventful and they work. I’ve practiced with water using CO2 from a tank to more actively push the beer to serving keg but not too comfortable yet with timing on releasing keg PRV so that it goes smoothly. That method is definitely quicker. Instead for now I’m content with cracking open a beer, doing other things around the house while it slowly transfers

3rd NEIPA brewed but first time changing up grain bill. This has ~20% malted oats and ~8% flaked barley. First time using malted oats versus flaked oats and Im definitely a fan! Love the mouthfeel with this one that comes across more as the "soft and pillowy" Ive been wanting. Previous two NEIPAs I used 15% flaked oats and 15% white wheat. Those were great but the head retention wasn't nearly as good as this one. Malted oats and some flaked barley definitely helped with head retention and aroma I think too. Will definitely be playing with this grain bill for future. citra/idaho7/nelson hops: equal parts of hops on both hot side and cold side. Love the hop combo, but if I were to brew this again, I think Id dial down the idaho 7 on dry hopping and feature the nelson and citra more in dry hop. But love this beer overall. Not your typical juice/fruit bomb but has nice balance and complexity of flavors and aromas.

Attachments

• IMG_6366.jpg
    IMG_6366.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 96
I think Id dial down the idaho 7 on dry hopping

Not your typical juice/fruit bomb but has nice balance and complexity of flavors and aromas.

You think this is cause you used too much idaho7?
In my experience Idaho7 brings quiet some pine, green character to the table as does Nelson.
Maybe not a good combo.

How many oz of each did you use?

In my experience Idaho7 brings quiet some pine, green character to the table as does Nelson.
Maybe not a good combo.

This past years Nelson from YVH has been great for me. I just finished my second lb of it and got bright white wine and that typical potent nz hop notes

Maybe not a good combo.

I think it is a good hop combo. I’m using moderate total amount of hops overall 12.5oz. I used equal parts citra/I7/Nelson throughout. I love the pine character that I7 brings and this beer has that. I only said that to get more of the Nelson to pop a little more. The Nelson definitely comes through in the beer having that nice white wine characteristic though. So instead of 1:1:1 in dry hop, I’d think to dial the I7 down to 0.75 or 0.5 in both dry hop charges OR drop I7 from second dry hop and just use the citra/Nelson for final dry hop.

Slap a spunding valve on the keg, set it to 1-2 psi and you dont have to pull the prv anymore.
Yeah, I’m only using the sounding valve to monitor pressures right now. The release /twist valve is a bit finicky for me as it’s hard to dial in a specific PSI. Will take a little more practice to be a little more comfortable with it

There's different brands of CBDS/floating dip tubes so if you're works perfect that's wonderful. I did always cold crash and had issues anytime I dry hopped, and even when the transfer had no dry hop and worked it left beer behind. My current method works perfect with no beer left behind so I have no reason to ever go back troubleshooting it, but the great thing about multiple methods people should be able to find one that works for them. Anyone getting headaches from the floating dip tube should the other method posted above w pic

I literally just dropped second dry hop addition 2oz each Simcoe/Amarillo. This time i allowed the actual hops warm up rather than throw them in straight from the freezer. Last time i did that they went straight to the bottom of the conical. My beer temp was about 69deg so i dropped it down to 65 and will prob start to lower 2-3 degrees for the next 3 days.

I'm also going to keg hop with an oz each except Amarillo cryo. Will report back in a week or so!
@jturman35 You mind sharing your hop schedule for your simcoe amarillo batch? I have some of both and thinking of going this route for my next brew.

Switching the pace. I’ve used sabro in the whirlpool in two different beers now but not very familiar dryhoping with it. I’ve been getting a decent coconut note from 3 oz in whirlpool but wanted to hear some folks experience dryhopping with it.

To give you some background, I’m going for a beach theme NEIPA that I’m calling “Beach chairs and Sunblock” and it’s already been brewed using Columbus and sabro hotside. It’s fermenting currently using Hornindal and on 5 lbs of pineapple pure. The plan so far is to dryhop with mosaic and azacca cryo and was thinking of tossing an oz or two of sabro in as well.
A little late on this one but Anthem hops in the dry hop. This always gives me this tropical almost the point of sunblock smelling aroma. Pretty crazy but I liked it.

1318 always tries to crawl out of my fermenter. I run it about 10*f higher than you do though, so it’s usually finished and cleaned up in about 5-7 days with no krausen remaining

I always wait til my krausen is gone before I dry hop. Maybe raise the beer to 70-72 for a day or two and I’d figure it will be gone.

Dgallo, have you ever tried fermcap or another anti foamer? I am having trouble with my blow-off system -- I am using Omega British Ale V and really like that it doesn't get hot. But it keeps blowing my fermenter lid off, even when I use a blow-off system!

It appears that fermcap is silicon and should be strained out, so that does not sound like a good option. Is there a safer food grade anti foamer available?

@jturman35 You mind sharing your hop schedule for your simcoe amarillo batch? I have some of both and thinking of going this route for my next brew.

Sure, have no idea how this will turn out!

6lbs M/O
6lbs 2-row
1lb Flaked Oats
2lb White wheat
6oz Honey malt
Juice yeast
.5oz Warrior $ 60 min
1.5oz Simcoe @40 min 170deg
1.5oz Amarillo @40 min 170deg
1.5oz Simcoe @30 min 150deg
1.5oz Amarillo @30 min 150deg

1oz Simcoe Day 3
1oz Amarillo Day 3
2oz Simcoe Day 12
2oz Amarillo Day 12
1oz Simcoe Keg hop
1oz Amarillo CRYO Keg hop

This past years Nelson from YVH has been great for me. I just finished my second lb of it and got bright white wine and that typical potent nz hop notes

What hop combos do you recommend Nelson with? I bought some from YVH to use in a NEIPA when it was first available. I've only ever used it solely in a Saison before.

What hop combos do you recommend Nelson with? I bought some from YVH to use in a NEIPA when it was first available. I've only ever used it solely in a Saison before.

- Nelson/Citra
(They work so well together it’s scary. so most of my use of Nelson is paired with citra)

-Nelson, Citra, Galaxy

-Nelson, Riwaka, Citra, Columbus

-Nelson, Citra, Mosaic

-Nelson, Galaxy, Comet

-Nelson, Mosaic, Azacca

Back