DIPA Sample Harsh Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewsterAles

Reaction score
Samples off the tank, even after cold conditioned for sediment to drop out, are a bit harsh and astringent. Can’t figure out where this coming from.

10 gallon batch
8% abv
1.078 -> 1.018

51% 2 row
38% Oat malt
6% Table sugar
5% Maltodextrin

Magnum FW hops 15 IBU
Galaxy, Citra 20 min for 42 IBU
Galaxy, Citra WP 20 min for 21 IBU

LAIII Yeast at 65F, sugars were added in doses for 3 days at high krausen

Water profile using filtered water with low TDS (30 ppm) with salts added (gypsum, CaCl, epsom salt)
108 Ca, 11 Mg, 101 SO4, 147 Cl

I acidified water with some fresh citrus juice:
100ml grapefruit and orange juice to acidify strike and sparge water to pH 6.0

Mash pH initially a bit low at 4.8 so had to add 15g NaHCO3 to mash to bring to 5.2pH. Added 57 Na, 143 HCO3.

Sparged with 160F water pH 5.8 and runoff was about 1.020 when I reached boil volume.

Hazy DIPA with around 80 estimated IBU. It’s been a while since I went higher IBU like this but am doing so after hearing Tree House recommendations.

Any idea why getting this astringent bitterness? Haven’t even added dry hops yet. Thanks.

Also should mention used 1 tbsp LD Carlson DAP urea yeast nutrient at 15 min boil and had used FermCap in boil at recommended rate.

Just offhand, Galaxy hops have had issues with excessive polyphenols the last couple/few years causing consternation among the pros. Had/have you used that same batch of hops on another beer without issues?

Cheers!

Just offhand, Galaxy hops have had issues with excessive polyphenols the last couple/few years causing consternation among the pros. Had/have you used that same batch of hops on another beer without issues?

Cheers!
Unfortunately no. Fresh bag and haven’t brewed an IPA in some months now. I’m hoping a month of cold conditioning in conical, kegs will resolve the issue. Thoughts?

Just that the Galaxy thing is out there. It really has made a bunch of breweries cranky, so if that's what's going on you're in good company. I don't really see anything else leaping out wrt astringency; although your sparge liquor pH was a bit higher than I like, your mash pH likely kept the runoff under 5.6. A few drops of Fermcap are basically harmless, and though I don't use DAP I don't think a tablespoon in 10 gallons is going to be an issue - lots of folks use DAP. Then there's the fruit juice - but so little of it I can't believe it's a concern. And the bicarb dose wouldn't result in astringency, more likely a salty tinge at most.

Last thing so I'm not wasting your time: LAIII isn't the fasting dropping strain in the land. Is it possible you're "enjoying" yeast bite from your young beer?

Cheers!

Just that the Galaxy thing is out there. It really has made a bunch of breweries cranky, so if that's what's going on you're in good company. I don't really see anything else leaping out wrt astringency; although your sparge liquor pH was a bit higher than I like, your mash pH likely kept the runoff under 5.6. A few drops of Fermcap are basically harmless, and though I don't use DAP I don't think a tablespoon in 10 gallons is going to be an issue - lots of folks use DAP. Then there's the fruit juice - but so little of it I can't believe it's a concern. And the bicarb dose wouldn't result in astringency, more likely a salty tinge at most.

Last thing so I'm not wasting your time: LAIII isn't the fasting dropping strain in the land. Is it possible you're "enjoying" yeast bite from your young beer?

Cheers!
Could be. The beer is 2 weeks old. What worries me is the sample I cold crashed but the liquid still tasted harsh bitter almost like crushed aspirin finish. I think you’re probably right though and hopefully a few weeks time cold will resolve the issue.

I agree with @day_trippr
Galaxy, especially when used on the hot side will cause this issue. I stopped using galaxy hot side, well actually I have a few packs in the freezer I haven't touched, so I have stopped using it altogether. I believe it was a 2022 crop that caused my first issue with galaxy.

I agree with @day_trippr
Galaxy, especially when used on the hot side will cause this issue. I stopped using galaxy hot side, well actually I have a few packs in the freezer I haven't touched, so I have stopped using it altogether. I believe it was a 2022 crop that caused my first issue with galaxy.
Will a few weeks cold conditioning resolve this issue you think?

It certainly wont hurt. IIRC the one that I brewed with galaxy on the hot side had astringency pretty bad for the first few weeks, it never completely went away but it did improve as time went on. Luckily I have a neighbor with a less particular palate so he helped me polish off the kegs of that batch. I can say it should improve but it may not lose the astringency completely.

It certainly wont hurt. IIRC the one that I brewed with galaxy on the hot side had astringency pretty bad for the first few weeks, it never completely went away but it did improve as time went on. Luckily I have a neighbor with a less particular palate so he helped me polish off the kegs of that batch. I can say it should improve but it may not lose the astringency completely.
I may add some gelatin fining prior to dry hop just to attempt to better drop out the polyphenols. Then dry hop cooler 58F once tank is cleared of yeast. Cooler dry hop to not pull more polyphenols. Thanks! Feeling better about this.

Latest posts

Back