PH Meter and readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner today , 10# BEST Pilsen Malt and 4 oz of Acid malt with 100 % RO water with 1/4 tsp phosphoric acid 10% and 1gram of epsom salt and 1gram CACI2 ph READING WAS 5.40 to 5.60 @ 20 min and 40 min . who all uses a ph meter , any thoughts on this ? I was aiming for a lower PH ,trying to dail in water and ph levels.

Last edited:
That all sounds good. Your pH is right where you need it to be, I wouldn't say it needs to be any lower than 5.4 to 5.6. I typically aim for about 5.5 to 5.6 in the mash, then sometimes adjust with acid after the boil to hit closer to 5.1 (probably optional, I'm still learning about this).

That all sounds good. Your pH is right where you need it to be, I wouldn't say it needs to be any lower than 5.4 to 5.6. I typically aim for about 5.5 to 5.6 in the mash, then sometimes adjust with acid after the boil to hit closer to 5.1 (probably optional, I'm still learning about this).
The recipe had called for 8 oz of Acid malt , was kinda nervous about that amount .

Back