Never dump it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywanderer

Reaction score
I'm now a believer. I've read that on this forum multiple times.

My pale ale that had RIDICULOUSLY high efficiency (all-grain hit 85% efficiency .. was counting on 70%) and RIDICULOUSLY high attenuation (85% attenuation .. WLP001 .. beast.. straight up beast yeast).

I tasted it at bottling and gagged. Really. That bad.

I tasted it after 3 weeks bottle conditioning. Dumped it. Wow was it terrible.

But. I let it all sit. 3.5 months later and BAM!

Amazingly smooth, balanced, citrusy but not too bitter, sweet but not cloying. Thick creamy head with amazing lacing. Very remniscnet of a belgian in its complexity. Then the 9% ABV hits you. Ahhhhh.

So - there ya go. Never dump it.

I dumped a bunch of failed beers this fall. Some infected, some simply not good. But while dumping a batch presumed infected, I noticed they didn't gush. Tasted one, it was okay. So I saved part of the batch, and actually bottle hopped them for lost hop flavor. So, I wouldn't say "never", but I would say giver it a year.
Glad yours worked out. :cheers:

My best beer even was a "dumper" I failed to dump, got drunak and tated again almost a year later. Truly epic beer.

Generally, time WILL help, don't get me wrong. But I've had an incident before (actually twice) where I cleaned my fermenter with soap/bleach and forgot to rinse well. There was no saving either of those beers. Also, I've never had an acetobacter infection, but I hear those don't get better, either.

This couldnt be more true. Did a rasberry that was way to tart, 3 weeks later, perfect. Also did an imperial cream ale i hated, left it alone in the kegerator for 2 months, then bam! delicious.

I made a cucumber pale ale that tastes like pickles. It tastes exactly as you'd think it would. But I still drink it, I just laugh to myself while doing so. Luckily it was only a 1 gallon test batch.

This couldnt be more true. Did a rasberry that was way to tart, 3 weeks later, perfect. Also did an imperial cream ale i hated, left it alone in the kegerator for 2 months, then bam! delicious.

I also made a raspberry ale that was too tart and after more than 2 years in the bottle it was still too tart. I choked down about 15 bottles of it before I gave up and dumped the rest. Time is a great healer of beer but sometimes there just isn't any hope.:(

If you think every batch will get better with time, I'll send you some of my last batch. The only reason I still have it in bottles is I haven't had the ambition to deal with dumping the whole lot of 'em yet.

I DARE you to drink one of them.

I dumped one batch. The pot was too hot when I poured the LME into the pot...plus I didn't stir it well enough.

The entire thing had a burned pasta flavor and odor to it. YUCK.

I had a batch I really didn't care for. I honestly don't think it improved with age, I just became more accepting of it. When out of other brews I'd crack one of these open, take a sip and say, "I guess it's not that bad". Then proceed to drink two or three. Took awhile but I eventually worked through the whole batch.

Drinking beers with off Flavors is your punishment. And every sip is a reminder to not make that mistake again. 🍻

Maybe your standards arent that high but i have dumped beer that had nothing wrong with it, i just didn't like it that much and dumped it to make room for stuff i like.

Maybe your standards arent that high but i have dumped beer that had nothing wrong with it, i just didn't like it that much and dumped it to make room for stuff i like.

Good thing someone here is holding up standards...and stuff.

Sutherland_Blasphemer_1575.jpg

Only thing I dumped was a peanut butter porter I forgot in its fermenter for ohh... 6 months. It was... well it was special. Luckily it was one of my 1 gallon experiments, so not much lost.

Back