Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James2008

Reaction score
This is my 4th home brew. I decided to get creative....
I got the 1 gal chocolate milk stout kit from craftabrew
I decided to add 1lb of cherry puree to 5 min left of boil.
Og was 1.070
Fg was 1.030
I let it ferment for 3 weeks. I soaked the nibs in 3 oz of vodka for 5 days. Then added after 3 weeks. Then let it ferment for an additional 2 weeks. I bottled. I followed the northern brewers priming sugar calculator for a stout. It said 0.69 oz of priming sugar. That's what I added. This is the second week of it being in the bottles and after checking on it I noticed what appears to be yeast floating on the top? Is this bad? I've never seen this before. Is it still fermenting? Are my bottles going to explode? Help!
received_2003452353070504.jpeg
received_738535753178562.jpeg
received_2003452353070504.jpeg
received_738535753178562.jpeg

Attachments

• received_215495769342934.jpeg
    received_215495769342934.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 72
From what I can tell it will be alright. When I bottled I used to get those in nearly every batch. I don't know what exactly it was, but you'll be fine. Maybe crack one open to check carb level, and if it not WAY over carbed relax and enjoy the fruits of your labors. It sounds delicious! Cheers!

There will always be some yeast left over no matter how clear your beer looked at bottling time. They're there, even if you can't see them. They tend to clump together, that's what you're seeing at the tops of your bottles. There should also be some at the bottom (make sure you leave about 1/2" of beer when you pour to avoid getting them in your glass; it won't hurt you, but might affect the taste of your beer and might give you nasty yeast farts). Taste it, it's time!

Try backlighting the bottle and turn off your flash. You’ll likely be fine. The only sure way is to way a bit, chill the bottle and test. What your seeing is likely just a by-product of natural carbonation.

Looks like bottle carbon krauzen to me. Drink it and if you don't die you got beer!

When I back light the bottle it appears to have a lot of particales in suspense. More then usual. Maybe it was from the cherries I used? Idk.

It looks normal to me. Wait another week, then chill one to test. If you have proper carbonation you can start drinking them. Chilling the bottles should drop most of what is left that is visible.

Let it chill in the fridge at least 24 hours before opening. This will help drop the particles to the bottom of the glass and help the beer absorb the CO2 created during battle conditioning. The put it in the freezer till it's cold trick does not work best

Its flat!
Overall full body. Tastes like a sweet stout. Kinda fruity. And a little fruit tart to it.
Malty. Wish there was more chocolate..

BUT IT CAME OUT FLAT.
it's been in bottles for 3 weeks now.
Why would it be flat?

Attachments

• 20181222_184542.jpg
    20181222_184542.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 37
Its flat!
Overall full body. Tastes like a sweet stout. Kinda fruity. And a little fruit tart to it.
Malty. Wish there was more chocolate..

BUT IT CAME OUT FLAT.
it's been in bottles for 3 weeks now.
Why would it be flat?
I used northern brewers priming sugar calculator. And brewers best priming sugar. I actually added a bit more then northern brewers suggested too...

Priming sugar solution not properly mixed with wort (rack the wort on top of the solution in a swirling pattern), bottle caps didn't seal properly, or just not enough time yet.

Damn man, sorry to hear that. Was there much sediment in the bottom of the bottle?

Sounds like you may need to uncap and add more yeast.
There is deffinetly sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Not alot. But the bottom is definetly covered in a layer.

I think I am going to try and gently turn the bottles and place in a warmer spot for a week or two.

Couldnt hurt. Thats about the only thing you can do at this point. Seems like either the yeast died out or the caps weren’t on properly, either of which doesn’t seem likely. Give them time though. They may still turn out.

Back