Multiple Yeast Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do I pitch?

• US-05 slurry from previous cream ale.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wyeast 1056-US-05 "Super Slurry" (aka the "Sun's up, guns up," approach)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

BruJay

Reaction score
Soooo, I accidentally mixed ~150-200 billion cells of US-05 with a recently completed 2 L starter of ~390 billion cells of Wyeast 1056. One of those, "herpa derp, just doing routine stuff" when I grabbed the wrong mason jar.

I'm brewing a rye beer with my FIL this Sunday.

At this point, I have two options:
I have a slurry of US-05 from a previous batch of cream ale that would be ready after a small starter. They shouldn't be too stressed as it was BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops Ale (and I was short on gravity that day).

Or, OR...
I could pitch the 1056-US05 combo and see what happens. I would think not much, as the strains are quite similar. As a scientist, I kinda figured natural (or 'beer') selection could determine the victor after a few batches, or maybe they'll live in harmony. Surely, someone has done this and can provide some insight.

Survey says?

Cheers,

Jay

Nobody responded :( What did you end up doing?

I pitched the "super slurry".

It was anticlimactic. No real change from US-05's baseline operation for a light ale. It just went like normal and pooped out around 1.012.

It was really just a waste of a Wyeast pack. Won't make that mistake again!

I think us-05 and WY 1056 are the same strain of yeast.
You may not be wrong. But, it does seem strange that 1056 wouldn't be marketed as a dry yeast, were that the case. Not saying you're wrong. It would be nice to know why it's done that way.

Man. Brutal.

At any rate, 'twas a lesson learned, and most of my homebrewing lessons haven't been cheap anyway. You live and you learn!

Hopefully someone else can benefit from reading about this little folly.

Back