Multiple Yeast Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do I pitch?

• US-05 slurry from previous cream ale.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wyeast 1056-US-05 "Super Slurry" (aka the "Sun's up, guns up," approach)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

BruJay

Reaction score
Soooo, I accidentally mixed ~150-200 billion cells of US-05 with a recently completed 2 L starter of ~390 billion cells of Wyeast 1056. One of those, "herpa derp, just doing routine stuff" when I grabbed the wrong mason jar.

I'm brewing a rye beer with my FIL this Sunday.

At this point, I have two options:
I have a slurry of US-05 from a previous batch of cream ale that would be ready after a small starter. They shouldn't be too stressed as it was BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops Ale (and I was short on gravity that day).

Or, OR...
I could pitch the 1056-US05 combo and see what happens. I would think not much, as the strains are quite similar. As a scientist, I kinda figured natural (or 'beer') selection could determine the victor after a few batches, or maybe they'll live in harmony. Surely, someone has done this and can provide some insight.

Survey says?

Cheers,

Jay

Nobody responded :( What did you end up doing?

I pitched the "super slurry".

It was anticlimactic. No real change from US-05's baseline operation for a light ale. It just went like normal and pooped out around 1.012.

It was really just a waste of a Wyeast pack. Won't make that mistake again!

I think us-05 and WY 1056 are the same strain of yeast.
You may not be wrong. But, it does seem strange that 1056 wouldn't be marketed as a dry yeast, were that the case. Not saying you're wrong. It would be nice to know why it's done that way.

Man. Brutal.

At any rate, 'twas a lesson learned, and most of my homebrewing lessons haven't been cheap anyway. You live and you learn!

Hopefully someone else can benefit from reading about this little folly.

Latest posts

Back